I had some questions about converting my brake pedals into a hydraulic system

First of all, I'm not well versed with car/bike mechanics but have been interested in this hydraulic DIY and want to give my pedals a new feeling and immersion.

I had custom-made China pedals that used a custom controller unit to work with my Simagic software. I had a list of what to buy including master and pull slave cylinders and coil springs and another set of full brake systems with calipers and discs. Total cost of around 30 bucks.

I was wondering if could I use the existing load-cell module by mounting the master cylinder with a 3d printing bracket. I haven't seen anyone do this besides simagic p1000 pedals that had a hydraulic cylinder pushing against the load cell. Most of the DIYs out there use psi pressure transducer sensors but I want to keep thing simple here and just design the bracket to fit the cylinder only. Are there any disadvantages in this approach? Could someone shed some light.

My other question is can I use any master cylinder here? Is there any specs requirement for that or just any master cylinder could work just fine?

Note: I'm not an expert in this area of mechanical things so excuse my bad question.

Attachments

• Screenshot_7-4-2024_204111_www.reddit.com.jpeg
    Screenshot_7-4-2024_204111_www.reddit.com.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_7-4-2024_204124_www.reddit.com.jpeg
    Screenshot_7-4-2024_204124_www.reddit.com.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_7-4-2024_204141_www.reddit.com.jpeg
    Screenshot_7-4-2024_204141_www.reddit.com.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_7-4-2024_20452_item.taobao.com.jpeg
    Screenshot_7-4-2024_20452_item.taobao.com.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_7-4-2024_205419_item.taobao.com.jpeg
    Screenshot_7-4-2024_205419_item.taobao.com.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 24
I have pondered this question for a long time and in the end bought a pedalset (used) that just works.

I shied away from all things Amazon and Aliexpress because what I would not use on my car/motorcycle I would not use in my living room (toxic brake fluid spills)

What you could do is buy the Simagic Hydraulic Brake Kit and fabricate it between pedal arm and loadcell exactly as Simagic does it.
Beware that the forces "in the heat of battle" can be excessive, so that fabricated mount needs to be stiff and sturdy. Forget about anything 3d printed that will be abused with your leg force (plus pedal arm advantage)

And if you buy ok quality stuff and have some parts made your already in the ball park of used hydraulic pedal sets. (which still have fishy reliability with regard to brake fluid spills)

How common is it for brake fluid spills though? I remember my liter bike got brake fluid spilled because the mechanic didn't tighten it firmly enough and it was a big mess.

I was also thinking of getting the simagic hydraulic addon, but it's expensive. A custom-made one would be a fun project too.

I've seen everything from mechanic's ****ups to blown seals, burst hoses and rusted out pipes.

It's also common in Sim equipment, check forums and Youtube. All this was with automotive grade equipment or high end sim boutique stuff, no way to tell what will happen with the cheap chinese :poop:

How common is it for brake fluid spills though
Automotive replacement parts market is flooded with inferior clones.
Modern hydraulic seals are designed for compatibility with specific fluids;
using e.g. fluid intended for automatic transmissions or industrial hydraulics with mismatched seal elastomers
provokes seal failures by either excessive or insufficient swelling from fluid absorption.
Even (U.S.) DOT 3 vs 4 vs 5 can be problematic.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.