How to uninstall rfractor 2 without risk of losing bought cars and tracks?

How do I do this?

Rfactor 2 has been running flawlessly for years until the new UI arrived and now it has died ,even when going back to the old UI,rfactor 2 hangs and I have to close it with task manager.

Am I safe just uninstalling through Steam?

Are the bought cars and tracks subscribed so I don't have to worry?

With the new UI mess I am just about to give up on the game altogether.

You are safe, just keep a backup of your "Packages" folder, although steam will not delete, you have a backup.

1. Right click on rF2 in steam
  2. Select Manage
  3. Select Uninstall
  4. When you are ready to install, install to same directory.
  5. All your subscribers in Steam will be automatically install for you ..depending on how many subscribers you have in steam (workshop) will depend on how long the process will take.
I have done it several times myself.

?:\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Packages

Thanks Craig.

I just looked and my packages folder is empty.

How did that happen?

Did the new UI kill my packages folder?

EFF this game,seriously.
You don't need anything in your Packages folder. I usually download mods to another folder, copy them into the Packages folder, install and delete from Packages. I assume that's how you do it.

It's a bad idea to save all mods there permanently, as this is how you lose mods for future installs. It should be treated as a temp folder.

OK ,game reinstalled.

Now the game crashes at startup,goes to a white screen then closes.

ARGH.

I did all the necessary steps,rebooted PC after install,used CCleaner after uninstalling previous version.

What now?

Sadly that is your problem ...many users have reported this problem ..white screen of death.

You need to go back until 397 have fixed it ..its ok for some but not others like yourself.

In steam right click rFactor 2 and select properties - this will bring up a box - the end tab you will see "BETAS" click that, then click the down arrow key and select None

Now you will see rFactor in your steam downloading wait for it to finish, you will now be using the old UI.

I expect the white screen issue to be resolved fairly quickly..keep a lookout on the official forum for news....I will post it here also when they have fixed it. I am one of the lucky ones, I am using the new UI without any issues.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.