How to look at templates

I opened up a body.psd from a Formula truck template within Gimp. I find it very hard to see how all parts fit together as being a compleet body structure. Are there any tips or tricks how you manage to see how parts fit together or to see what parts belong to other parts?

There are numerous ways to figure out how the parts link together. One way is to paint stripes to see how it forms around the car. Second way is to look at the wireframe, where you can see the shapes. And as a third way you can use different colors on different spots.

There are numerous ways to figure out how the parts link together. One way is to paint stripes to see how it forms around the car. Second way is to look at the wireframe, where you can see the shapes. And as a third way you can use different colors on different spots.
Thanks for the answer. I did those tricks while making my first livery for the Mini in EVO. And the end i hoped there would be an easier way to figure out all parts. Would be nice to have all parts numbered with a picture next to it of a full assembled body with those same numbers. (like a manual of a plastic construction kit)

Thanks for the answer. I did those tricks while making my first livery for the Mini in EVO. And the end i hoped there would be an easier way to figure out all parts. Would be nice to have all parts numbered with a picture next to it of a full assembled body with those same numbers. (like a manual of a plastic construction kit)
You have to understand though, that templates are always templates. I've never seen any templates with guides, but figuring out the parts is not a difficult job, as you have to work on the liveries anyway.

Well, i do not have the game yet, but i thought it would be nice to start off with a livery. Seems i have to preorder the game, which is no problem.

You have to understand though, that templates are always templates. I've never seen any templates with guides, but figuring out the parts is not a difficult job, as you have to work on the liveries anyway.
From the POV of creating them, it becomes pretty quickly obvious where each piece is by looking at the car. Wheel arches, vents, etc. all make for good hints about what's what. When making my own templates I'd always keep a layer showing the wireframe to make sure it's unwrapped cleanly, but might skip that when uploading the blank because it increases the filesize.

If you're modding vehicles that are meant to have custom liveries it'll usually be laid out nice and flat for at least the main bodypanels, so they'll be pretty much the same shape as on the car. Might see funky shapes on some less visible parts.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%