How to increase FFB force at centre? T300

Hey guys. I got the SHO Competition config for my T300 but I find the wheel real loose at the centre. The first 30 degrees or so each way is very light. Feels odd compared to modern sims.

Any way to improve it? Or if anyone has a T300 config they find works really well, care to share?

The first very important question: which rotation did you choose in the wheel settings page ?
900° is mostly too much for GTR2 which was created at the time for a rather narrow wheel rotation.
I had a T300 and now a TS-XW wheel and always modify the wheel rotation in the settings page from 900° ( or 1080 ) down to 540° ... and sometimes even modify the return to center from 0 to 12% and not letting the game change it as I also felt that rather too light force at the center.....
NB: and not forget to modify it again to its original rotation for a next use in a more modern sim of course ;)

540 degrees here also and anything tin top I use between 18-20 steering lock - works brill. Check out the car's HDC file in the teams folder and look for steering lock and change accordingly on the one line where you can change it. If you are using formulas I increase steering lock to around 28.

If you still need a tweak, the core parameter for this is the PLR "FFB steer force exponent" parameter:
  • The wheel feels loose or force feedback is weak on straights, in corners, everywhere in general.
    • Decrease Force Exponent
      • Compresses forces over a narrower range, so more total force, so that forces are compressed around center causing the wheel to feel tighter or forces to feel stronger.
Lots more Q&A "engineer" style force feedback suggestions here:

And if you don't feel fine with file modification, you can find this FFB setting in game with this name: FFB Steering Force

If you're also driving modded cars, this force might need regular tweaks.
With this setting, pay attention that the higher the number is the lower force you get. ( with Thrustmaster wheels for sure )
This setting in game seems to work the wrong way: more % is lower force while less % is higher force ! ;)

NB: if after a session change you don't feel any force left, the FFB reset command is Alt-F

Well, adjusting the steering force did the trick. Unfortunately, since yesterday, it seems my T300 has developed a fault where the FFB completely cuts out after 60-90mins. Rebooting fixes it for 10min or so. Which makes me think it's perhaps an overheating issue, even though I'm using forced fan mode and it doesn't feel overly warm.

Bugger. Only 19 months old, and of that 19 months, only used for about 7.

I'm contacting the store I got it from. Luckily in my country we have consumer protections that state a product should work for a reasonable length of time regardless of manufacturers warranty. So we'll see what happens I guess.

I'm not particularly surprised though. Thrustmaster quality is pretty poor these days.

Last edited:
It's a well known fact since a rather long time that the T300 can have overheating problems if you use it for a rather long time moreover at full force %.
I mostly read that you should try to limit the full force at 85 % max if you intend to do longer sessions of racing.
I had it ( second hand ) for more than 2 years without any problem using it this way even for some 2 or 3 hours sessions.

NB: TS-PC and TS-XW corrected this kind of problems simply by using an external power supply rather than an internal one as for this T300RS. ( that's the main reason why it easily overheats ).

It's a well known fact since a rather long time that the T300 can have overheating problems if you use it for a rather long time moreover at full force %.
I mostly read that you should try to limit the full force at 85 % max if you intend to do longer sessions of racing.
I had it ( second hand ) for more than 2 years without any problem using it this way even for some 2 or 3 hours sessions.

NB: TS-PC and TS-XW corrected this kind of problems simply by using an external power supply rather than an internal one as for this T300RS. ( that's the main reason why it easily overheats ).
I always use low forces because I have weak wrists due to RSI. I don't set it in control panel, but every sim I turn the forces right down. I think in iRacing, for example, I run it less than 30%.

TM are just junk. I've had two joysticks from them that have both malfunctioned within a year too.

Unfortuantely here in New Zealand there is pretty much only Logitech and TM.

I have Thrustmaster TS XW/TS PC and it works all day and all night 24/7 no problem whatsoever - I like my sim racing :D

My TS XW is the most reliable bit of kit I've ever bought - like Jempy said the T300 is known for over heating when used for long periods as in a few hours whereas the TS XW/TS PC just ploughs on. You get what you pay for and the TS XW/TS PC was a good bit more in price. But saying that its a known thing that people buy a wheel like a t300 and whack it up to 100% in its control panel rather than keep it at the maximum recommended default of 75% - buy budget and you have to treat stuff like china.

I'd hardly call T300 budget. TM have 3 models of wheel bases that are cheaper, and it's almost twice the price of the Logitech G923. And I bet you most Logitech gear lasts twice as long.

Seems luck of the draw. I've read many accounts of people with T300's using them regularly for 5+ years with no problem. I know they've had issues, but I reckoned that with me using low forces and forced fan it would probably be ok. But 3 pieces of TM gear to go broke in the last 2 years, I'm not particualrly happy with them as you can imagine.

That's a bit a lottery for many things ... and Thrustmaster is one of them ( Logitech too in fact with other tools than wheels :D )
Good luck @s0cks

I'd hardly call T300 budget. TM have 3 models of wheel bases that are cheaper, and it's almost twice the price of the Logitech G923. And I bet you most Logitech gear lasts twice as long.

Seems luck of the draw. I've read many accounts of people with T300's using them regularly for 5+ years with no problem. I know they've had issues, but I reckoned that with me using low forces and forced fan it would probably be ok. But 3 pieces of TM gear to go broke in the last 2 years, I'm not particualrly happy with them as you can imagine.
You're right. I've read that some people have 10000 hours (yep, 10 thousand) with their gear cog Logitech wheels - they're solid but after opening up the T300 to mod the fans in it, it is not the same build quality as the more expensive TS PC/TS XW. Just saying in response to you that "tm are junk" but when you go up the range they're not so junk. My thrustmaster tlcm pedals take brutal hammering every day and just work so maybe you've been unlucky with t300. Sucks.

Last edited:
Got my replacement T300 the other day. God damn GTR2 feels so good! After a bunch of racing on GT7 and AMS2 I'm always rather shocked at just how good this old sim feels to race on a wheel.

I really must pick up Race 07 at some point as I'm guessing that one feels pretty much the same and it looks to have a fair bit of content.

Last edited:
Race 07 in particular has better stock tyre feel, in my opinion, feels like you can play on the edge just a bit more.

GT Legends can be made to feel like GTR2 so it can be fun, too.

Get the SimBin Mega Bundle when it comes on sale. Instant buy, no question.

Race 07 in particular has better stock tyre feel, in my opinion, feels like you can play on the edge just a bit more.

GT Legends can be made to feel like GTR2 so it can be fun, too.

Get the SimBin Mega Bundle when it comes on sale. Instant buy, no question.
I have GTL and really like it. My only complaint would be that some of the engine sounds feel a bit like an 8bit synth. But fun nevertheless.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.