How to 'FIX' F1

Which is much of F1 today. It may be quite impressive and highly technical but is of little relevance to the cars you will be driving next year or ten years from now.

Ferrari might disagree with that.
Ferrari have small block race cars. And they are easier on fuel with Fuel prices dictated by the middle east something smaller is better.

You could allow for refueling if you were to have removable tanks and a minimum time for changing them, then a light car might just make up time on a non-stopping car, and if we allowed for compounds that are the same right through to the canvas (so to speak) we would have a tyre option too... added to NO RADIO things could look more mixed up
Benetton droped the ball on refueling when they had some fool mess with hose and pull washers out to make the fuel flow faster. Jos Verstappen had car go into flames (There is a famous picture of it) Lucky he escaped with minor burns. I do belive the Garage is a little to cluttered with PC's and monitors and other stuff. In the 90's it looked like a apartment before you moved in. Very little stuff, Radio mesagaes are part of racing and strategey, teams will talk to driver and even speak in code. There is so mutch data relayed to Garage on Engine and other components and decisions to be made that are to complex for a driver. Just like a Actor and Director they need each other.

Ferrari have small block race cars. And they are easier on fuel with Fuel prices dictated by the middle east something smaller is better.
I saw on UTUBE a bunch of brothers developed a sportscar called a "DEVIL 16" It has a 16 cilinder engine and Rap singer SNOOP DOG is waiting for his on back order. Why have we not heard from this so called car in the last 5 years. It has either not been built or they ran out of money to finance building it. And why do you want a 16 cilinder car. The PO PO will be on youre ass making shore you keep to the speed limit. Unless youre in Germany where there is no speed Limit. But a car that powerfull and fast is insane. My Dad wanted a Motorcycle once he tested a Kawasaki 750. It was insane and he went for a 600 as he felt the 750 was too fast. Horse power is not the be all and end all you loose handeling. When i do sportscar races on my sim i use V8 engines V10 and V12 are usualy insane and imposable to drive. To big and heavy. Like ALain Prost said "The Ferrari is a like a Truck without Power Stering"

First of all F1 needs to get BOPed. Then get rid of all the rules. Then costcut to 1 million a year. That way manufacturers earn money doing F1, that attracts more manufacturers. That way all the 1000s of employees can become more responsible at different teams. One championship on each continent and once a year the best from around the world do a gokart race in Paris-Berci. lol.
Basically the idea of the Gordon Bennet series that was pre 1950. You just had a car and it was 100% built and driven by people of the nation. England was Green, Italy was Red, Germany was white and then went silver. But then there are drivers from other nations that want a piece of F1 As the sport has more global apeal. The rulles are for limiting the output and crativity and enhansing saftey and close racing. Yes Max ran away with it but Perez down to George russell was a close fight. Look at my chart where i declare 2023 as the closes season ever.

Benetton droped the ball on refueling when they had some fool mess with hose and pull washers out to make the fuel flow faster. Jos Verstappen had car go into flames (There is a famous picture of it) Lucky he escaped with minor burns. I do belive the Garage is a little to cluttered with PC's and monitors and other stuff. In the 90's it looked like a apartment before you moved in. Very little stuff, Radio mesagaes are part of racing and strategey, teams will talk to driver and even speak in code. There is so mutch data relayed to Garage on Engine and other components and decisions to be made that are to complex for a driver. Just like a Actor and Director they need each other.
I wasn't talking about tipping in liquid I was talking about exchanging a fuel tank, one that clunks into place and works, it can be done, if there was a minimum pitstop time then all changes would be safe with no rushing... we do want a safe sport business don't we?
in regards to electronic complexity, it's really not needed, it's added because it takes your eye off the ball for the failing excitement F1 provides now, along with all of the other rubbish that 'Sky' fires at us for an extra few quid and Brundle et all sing up because it's about the wedge they get, "ooh, Martin don't you just love that helmet cam shot" "yeah Crofty it's just how it is"... what total bulls... No, the human eye clears up the grainyness and the out of focus vibrational blur, and lets listen to some team radios... perhaps we can make it a bit more interesting if we can beep out a swearword.
No, racing should be about the racing, it's been turned into a circus because...money, and the teams don't even want to change it because...money, most if not all of the team principals want to reject the the addition of a new team.
Added to the fact that F1 is claiming to be positive about the climate they still bounce around the world like a seven sided ping pong ball. and the millions of fans that actually go the see races have to get there somehow...
Simplify the rules, bring back driver skill by removing electronics and bring back the sporting entertainment it was in the past.
...and for heavens sake stop giving a platform for political lectures, we watch the greats to escape from the drudgery of everyday political control

Reactions: jgf
I wasn't talking about tipping in liquid I was talking about exchanging a fuel tank, one that clunks into place and works, it can be done, if there was a minimum pitstop time then all changes would be safe with no rushing... we do want a safe sport business don't we?
in regards to electronic complexity, it's really not needed, it's added because it takes your eye off the ball for the failing excitement F1 provides now, along with all of the other rubbish that 'Sky' fires at us for an extra few quid and Brundle et all sing up because it's about the wedge they get, "ooh, Martin don't you just love that helmet cam shot" "yeah Crofty it's just how it is"... what total bulls... No, the human eye clears up the grainyness and the out of focus vibrational blur, and lets listen to some team radios... perhaps we can make it a bit more interesting if we can beep out a swearword.
No, racing should be about the racing, it's been turned into a circus because...money, and the teams don't even want to change it because...money, most if not all of the team principals want to reject the the addition of a new team.
Added to the fact that F1 is claiming to be positive about the climate they still bounce around the world like a seven sided ping pong ball. and the millions of fans that actually go the see races have to get there somehow...
Simplify the rules, bring back driver skill by removing electronics and bring back the sporting entertainment it was in the past.
...and for heavens sake stop giving a platform for political lectures, we watch the greats to escape from the drudgery of everyday political control
F1 is a breeding ground for electronic technology and it filterers into our road cars. Maybe more on a luxury level and down to the General level.

Then slow the cars and leave the tracks alone. A return to 3L engines and less downforce, again making the driver a larger part of the equation. I guarantee you could knock 20-30 mph from the top speed of an F1 car and the spectators would never notice.
Yes you dont notice speed becuse all the cars are mouving at the same pace. So they look slow. If you put a road car on the track you would notice how mutch faster the F1 is. And speed can be bad when i went to Silversone in 1992 the first place we sat was on the end of the old pit stright and cars where a blur going at 150-200mph. You could not tell what the car was. So slower speed is better for fans so you can see the car like the old dog leg before start and finish and you saw the car go slow and slalom in front of you so speed it not the be all and end all. Making the cars thinner would reduce cornering speed and top speed on the straights. Making a better spectacle for fans. But you dont want to see a car go as fast as your road car. You want it to get speed abouve a tipical road car.

Yes <Snip>

But you dont want to see a car go as fast as your road car. You want it to get speed abouve a tipical road car.
A typical road car is a lot faster than it needs to be, we're now being sold on the idea that Electric/Hybrid is the way to go because it can be so powerful, 500, 600, 800, 1000 hp all wheel drive mega tank that accelerates to 60mph in less than 3 secs, 200 mph speeds, and there is no real place for such a machine, and far too many clutter up the footpath on a school run.
Yeah, f1 is driving road car tech, just look at the offerings we're getting from near every manufacturer, air dams, spoilers, wings, flappy paddle gearboxes that change gear in the blink of an eye, and their use? all that extra power usage of additions increases weight and fuel consumption, as does the increases frontal area, as do the 'wonderfully' modern 18/20/22... inch wheels that have excitingly low profiles to the now extremely heavy tyres.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a supporter of the 20 MPH limit (Wales) I just want the public not to be mislead by the rubbish the industry is throwing at them about what we need in our lives.
If a Ford Anglia 1200 were to be reproduced today it would likely weigh in at 12-1400 kg with all of the junk the world and his mates in the government would want thrown at it, the engine would have to be at least 150-200, it may look like an Anglia but it would be bigger, probably quite a bit bigger (look at the Mini and the Fiat 500)
Were the correct lessons in technological advancement carried over the 1200 cc engine would be as clean as a whistle, easy to service, and economical, and still produce 100plus hp, the body need to be no bigger than the original and still pass all reasonable tests for safety and comfort, the whole thing could likely be 8-900kgs, offering good performance and economy, but the industry does not want that, and the press are all to willing to accommodate them with awe inspiring reviews of today's wasteful offerings, all too often highlighting their wonderful F1 heritage.

Fl should embrace the manufacturers and what the customers $ pay for ... that means Fl should align more to thing like the Ferrari Purse Sang er Purosangue, Aston Martin DBX and AMG G63...

Go BIG, add some ground clearance so they can race on real rough road courses, probably try to get some fast and furious cross promotion brand activity and take Drivel To Survive to the next level.

jokes. It's almost a lost cause for me, I have no idea if it is possible to them to 'Fix' it.

This layout with a 3 or 4 cylinder in-line or narrow V could be pretty neat.
The 1.5L V12 that did run in the RA272 here looks and sounds epic, not sure we could sell the idea of going back to many cylinder engines...

This car is so compact they can't be this small for safety these days, but it would be interesting if they could use a layout like this for the engine to try to make the cars a bit smaller?

And an example of a level of ride height that I think could be interesting to allow for less-perfect tracks...

http://motorsportretr.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Screen-Shot-2014-07-29-at-10.46.50-am.jpg

Last edited:
That is simple...
Stop looking at it as a 'green' sport. It never will be.
The environmental component can be helped by adjusting the race calendar.
Take out all the gimmicks....DRS, MGU, etc...
Give them enough fuel to race for two hours straight and let the teams make the decision as to whether they want to under-fuel for weight savings.
The F1 car is green like all race cars they are ultra light so you get maximum power under the least energy. The typical road car is way heaver and harmful to environment. The problem is at the end of a Grandprix the car goes on a truck and gets hauled around the world. Sometimes by plane or even ships. And all the stuff in the garage. Comuters and flat screen monitors. Tools and spare parts. Its a lot compared to the 90's when a garage looked dull and empty. So the transportation of equipment is the carbon footprint. Formula one developps technology that is slowly filtered into the road car market and goverments are forcing road cars to become more environmental. So F1 has to be environmental to help the road cars be this way. If not we would have V12 or V10 engines on the car's

IMO insanely stupid that active suspension is illegal
the original reason was due to cost. Plenty of other seemingly obvious engineering concepts have been banned in F1 over the years. The Active Suspension idea, to your point, is doubly frustrating when there are several street cars that make use of Active Suspensions.

That is simple...
Stop looking at it as a 'green' sport. It never will be.
The environmental component can be helped by adjusting the race calendar.
Take out all the gimmicks....DRS, MGU, etc...
Give them enough fuel to race for two hours straight and let the teams make the decision as to whether they want to under-fuel for weight savings.
I almost always short fill for online races cuz I KNOW I'm gonna get lapped, probably more than once!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back