F1 2013 How does f1 2013 work?

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi my friend, I still do not understand how is this game working.

I hope to be clear.

I copyed the original f1 2013 folder , within my profile NENA STABI, in a new folder called f1 2013-2. I started the game from this new folder and made a new profile NIGEL MANSEL and started new Carrer. But when I go back to original f1 2013 and I start the game I find below profile NENA STABI also the profile NIGEL MANSEL.

It seems like every change in one folder is uploaded in the other .

How does it happen? Maybe backups of every game are saved in a same folder and from here uploaded in any game you start?

I wood like you could explain how to keep separated different games.

Thank-you

I don't play from 2 different setups, but to me, it's the first time I hear about renaming the Steam\steamapps\common\f12013 folder to Steam\steamapps\common\f1 2013-2 and starting the game from there. No, you cannot start the game if the f12013 folder has a new name, unless perhaps you would need to notify the Steam applet about its new name? Doesn't make sense to me. You play with a legit game, do you?

Your profile is not stored in the game folder, it is in the Steam userdata folder.

• YourSteamInstallDrive\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\xxxxxxx\223670\remote\
  • xxxxxxx = Your Steam ID number
  • 223670 = The F1 2013 profile folder.
This is where you will find the save files for NENA STABI & NIGEL MANSELL

The files are encrypted and you cannot tell what files belong to each profile (Unless you know the date you last used a specific profile).

Last edited:
first, sure I have legit game
I don't play from 2 different setups, but to me, it's the first time I hear about renaming the Steam\steamapps\common\f12013 folder to Steam\steamapps\common\f1 2013-2 and starting the game from there. No, you cannot start the game if the f12013 folder has a new name, unless perhaps you would need to notify the Steam applet about its new name? Doesn't make sense to me. You play with a legit game, do you?
Sure I have legit game.
But if I start from recalled f12013-2 I get the same game with same profiles as I start from f12013. So there si no difference starting either of them? Really confused

You don't need 2 copies of the game, you are not achieving anything, apart from confusing yourself.

Unless you are adding mods to your game, and you need a modified game (for career) and a normal game (for online multiplayer), there is no need for you to do anything.

Having 2 drivers is irrelevant, You can 12 driver profiles if you wish. You just select what driver you want to use when you start the game, no need for extra folders or copies of the game.

As I said above, your driver profile is NOT stored in the game install folder anyway.

Just for info - because you do not need extra copies of the game, just because you have an extra driver :-

You can have 3, 5, 20, or 100 copies of the game in the steamapps/common folder, but the ONLY one which will be used by the game (Steam) is the folder called 'f12013', no other folder name is acceptable. You cannot have extra copies of the game inside the f12013 folder either

Last edited:
Steam will only use the game which is in the folder called f12013. No other folder.

Let's say that you have 2 copies of the game in the steamapps/common folder.

One copy is the standard game, and it's in a folder called f12013-std, and another copy of the game in a folder called f12013-modded, like this :-

YourInstallDrive:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\f12013-std
+
YourInstallDrive:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\f12013-modded

At the moment you cannot play either of those games because the folder name is wrong

To play the game is must be in a folder called f12013.

So using the above mentioned folders. If I want to play the standard game (f12013-std), I must rename the folder to f12013

So I will get this :-

YourInstallDrive:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\f12013
+
YourInstallDrive:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\f12013-modded

Now I can play the standard game.

OK now I want to play the modded game. So first I have to rename the f12013 folder back to f12013-std

Then I have to rename the f12013-modded folder to f12013

Now I get this :-

YourInstallDrive:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\f12013-std
+
YourInstallDrive:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\f12013

f12013folders.jpg

No matter how many copies of the game you have, your driver profiles (Mansell & Stabi) are stored here :-

YourInstallDrive:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\xxxxxxxx\223670\remote

xxxxxxxx = Your Steam user ID

ok you say, Steam will only use the game which is in the folder called f12013. No other folder. I understand this.
But please let me explain once more what I do.
I go in MyInstallDrive:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common.
I create a new folder called f12013-mod1.
Than I open f12013 and copy all files within and paste in f12013-mod1.
At this time,still in f12013-mod1, double click on f12013.exe and the game starts normally like I start from f12013. So Steam let me start the game even from a folder with different name.
Am I clear?
Thanks again

Yes you are clear, you say that you can run the game from another folder by clicking the f12013.exe within that new folder.

But it is NOT true.

Steam will check the game, and start the game which is in the correct folder, it will start the game that is in the f12013 folder.

Now I am going to prove that to you in a minute, but it begs the question, what is your point? Why are you trying to do this?

Sorry, but it seems like a waste of time to me.

In this video I run the game from a backup folder, not the f12013 folder, all looks good ...... but is it really running it from there?

If I run the game from the backup folder, but rename the f12013 folder, the game fails. Why? Because Steam is running the game from the f12013 folder not the F12013 Backup folder, where the f12013_exe is that I actually used.

I also look at the system processes running when I start the game from the F12013 Backup folder, and the processes running are ACTUALLY in the standard f12013 folder. Showing that you are not really running your game from an alternative folder, but the original default folder

There you go :)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Forum trophies