Holy Smokes... the McLaren 720S GT3...

Strangely reminds me a lot of the Mclaren Senna. Not the details but the first impression it really looks similar!
I like it. Bit less roundness compared to the 650s.

I also smell DLC in ACC. :p
It will be in ACC for free. As I already mentioned

https://www.facebook.com/marco.massarutto.1/posts/10212005879336269

Didn't link the source, but there it is. See Marcos comment. Google translate:

"The launch of the ACC will include the 2018 season: the update (free) to the 2019 season, including all new cars, will come next in the course of the year, when all car data, driver performance, BOP and new models (such as the Mclaren 720S GT3) and circuits (the Redbull Ring in 2019 will replace Zolder, there will obviously be both in the game) will be completed to ensure the highest fidelity of the Championship in course."

That front end with the new style McLaren headlights and the big fake whale fish mouth is only a look of a child a mother could love. The rear end, the profile and the glass house look great - properly purposeful.

I hope McLaren change their minds in future models about those awful new headlights.
The 650s had tolerable headlights, the MC12C had pretty eyes but this new generation of McLaren are just much, much uglier to look at from the front than they have to be.

It'll look better when it's not bright orange, even the "mouth". The rear quarters are a bit chunky in orange, I suspect a different livery will help there too.

The stock 720s is the first Mclaren I've found with tolerable looks since the F1, so headlights are all a matter of taste. The designer's said it deliberately took inspiration from sharks.

Last edited:
Closer and closer to look like Group C cars, I like it

You can trace modern LMP cars directly back to the 1992 Group C 905 Evo2 ( and really just the Evo and the XJR-14 to some extent )
5239238706_55d434621d_b.jpg

but I doubt we'll ever see full ground-effect cars again. That road supercars look that way is just because the best shape for a car is an egg jammed in a wedge really - will be interesting if the new LMP rules really do produce the end result of a road car silhouette. They're going to look strangely blobby I think, but I'm doubting there'll be something that looks like a 720s. Not that bad a thing, this is why we have GT classes.

I always thought the front end of the 650 was trying way too hard - it's certainly not going to be an ageless classic, I get the same sort of feeling from a lot of Ferrari's less mainstream recent design too. The back end - the actual rear end, not the back half of the car - of pretty much any Mclaren is the same way.

A basking shark is not really the sort of style theme I'd be looking at for a racecar, mind you :D

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 18 12.1%
  • Friday

Votes: 54 36.2%
  • Saturday

Votes: 87 58.4%