Hockenheim GP - comparison times, please

Douglas Aird

Douglas Aird
Premium
I'm driving the new Hockenheim track released as part of the free RaceRoom pack. I love the Radicals so I'm doing some practice laps to improve my times and driving technique. Ideally it will be the basis for me joining some of the regular races and maybe a league, providing I can do myself justice.

To judge my progress I was wondering what an OK time in the fastest Radical would be. So far I've just got a fraction below 1.41. I've not done anything special with setup, just took some fuel out and changed the brake bias.

So - how do I compare with a decent (non-alien!) time.....? :rolleyes:

Doug, I just drove the default car there, your times are good. I never really drive default cars, they dont fulfill my appetite for curbs but I thought it was a good drive, no changes were made to it. The fastest club drivers will be slightly ahead of you but you would not be embarassing yourself at all.

That's what I see from the back of the pack.

Doug, I just drove the default car there, your times are good. I never really drive default cars, they dont fulfill my appetite for curbs but I thought it was a good drive, no changes were made to it. The fastest club drivers will be slightly ahead of you but you would not be embarassing yourself at all.

That's what I see from the back of the pack.

Thanks Dennis - anyone else got a comparison?

Same question for the Formula BMW around Nurburgring GP - I was (hot) lapping in the mid 2.09s tonight but managed to do a 2.08.056. Can someone give me an idea if this is a competitive time or miles off the pace? No setup changes from default apart from a little less fuel and brake balance adjusted a little.

With no changes from default except an increase of steering lock, my first lap was a 2:06.2. do you know anything concerning the pace of the people you run with?

Thanks Rhys - I'm only building up my pace with hotlaps at the moment or racing the AI (moving towards 100% gradually). My plan is to try to get experience with various car and track combinations so that I have a decent baseline for entering RD club races. Looks like I have a bit to go to get on your pace, but looking back on my hotlap replay there's a bit of a way for me to go in hitting all of the apexes.

Two of the keys to getting faster is practice and concentration. You have to know the car and the track well in order to be the fastest you are going to get. If you don't have a lot of time to devote to practice then you will be ok, but there will always be people that can turn laps 1 to 2 seconds faster than you. Concentration is a huge factor and can make or break your race every time. If the dog barks, or the kids are bothering you for supper, you are not going to do as well as you could if you were alone and totally concentrating on your racing.

If this is just a casual thing, then obviously you are not going to be able nor want to devote the time needed to be one of the fastest on the track. Over time, anywhere from a few months to several years you might become one of the fastest but in the short term you will be a mid to back marker when the fast guys are on track. This is not a bad place to be btw. If you enter races with the faster drivers, you get to see how consistent they are and how they handle corners and passes. They get to be your teachers just by racing with them.

If you have your system setup to record races, you can review the races later on and see where the fast guys start braking and where they start turning in so you can strive to duplicate their driving technique. I do have to warn you though, that the fast guys are almost exclusively running setups adjusted to their driving style and the track they are on. If you are not familiar with how to create setups that work there are a couple of threads on the concept. If you can't make heads or tails, give me a pm and I will help you understand it. Just remember if your lap times are not within .5 seconds of each other or less, changing the setup won't do you much good as you won't notice it's help. This is of course presuming that the setup you are running is not way off to start with.

Thanks for the advice, Jim. Due to time limitations my driving is a casual thing but I have driven a couple of club races here (Race 07) and some time ago at NoGrip (GTR2). I have been pretty much a back marker but I'm starting to get some consistency through sticking to a few car/track combinations. I'm pretty good at surviving to the end of a race, though, including some 1hr races and one 2hr race. I'm also OK at getting out of the way when the blue flags are out!

Setups I have experimented with a little, but I agree with you, so far I have not been in a position to use setups to get a few tenths when adjusting my driving and learning the car and track will gain me much more. Mostly I adjust the brake balance, play with the fuel load a little and that's about it.

I think I need to dip my toe back in the RD club race water. :)

Actual racing is a great teacher :)

One of the things I like about racing here is that everyone is pretty fair and nice about things. Obviously if you are wreckless and drive like a madman then folks will get upset, but accidents do happen and the faster more experienced drivers know that sometimes you just totally blow your brake/turn points so it is no problem. Keep running with the guys and they will get used to how you drive and be able to compensate for it as well as give you pointers to help you out some.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%