Heusinkveld sprint rumble pedal mod

Hello all,

I have recently upgraded my rig from Fanatec V3 pedals to the wonderful Heusinkveld sprints. I must say I am extremely happy with the upgrade, the only feature that I found myself missing was the integrated rumble motors that were included on the V3 pedal and brake. I was a huge fan of this functionality for detecting brake lockups and wheel slip. I then recalled seeing AMstudio (youtube channel dedicated to sim racing mods) create a rumble mod for a set of G920 pedals. I figured this same technique could be used for my new HE pedals. I have just finished setting everything up and I am extremely happy with how it turned out. I figured I would share my experience with the community for anyone interested in doing the same.

Credit: AMstudio (I highly recommend checking out his channel if you have not heard of him. Plenty of great ideas!)
Video where I got the idea: G920 Rumble Pedals

I have recently started working with Fusion360 to make small one off part mods for my sim rig. This was my first venture into making an entire project box and all related mounting hardware for this project. I ended up using the following hardware / software.

- 2 x xbox 360 rumble motors (Removed from old controllers I had).
- 22awg wire of various color for easy identification.
- 1 x Arduino UNO R3.
- 1 x Arduino motor shield v2.
- DC Power Female Socket with Lock Washer.
- 12v AC power cable.
- Soldering iron.
- Various lengths and sizes of heat shrink.
- Heat gun.
- USB A cable.

After I had everything wired and mounted to my satisfaction I used the built in Arduino tool within Simhub to write a sketch. I then proceed to setup the same shakeit profile that I had used previously with my Fanatec V3's. So far everything is working great. Curious to see if anyone has completed a similar mod, previously I had seen use of speakers to achieve what I assume is a similar response. I decided to go this route however as I had a lot of the hardware and all said and done cost me about $50/usd. Thanks for any feedback! Please keep in mind this is my first full 3d model / print implementation so I understand it's not perfect :).

Control_board.jpgRumble_motor_and_mounts.jpgEnclosure.jpgRig_mount_1.jpgRig_mount)2.jpg

• Deleted member 197115

How does rumble affect load cell reading, have you had a chance to check raw pedals reading when rumbling kicks in?

Upvote 0
I have not done extensive testing on raw data readings for the load cell. Typically I only run my pedals at 30-35kg. Essentially what I have done to this point was hop into time trial initially to test functionality. And I was right on par and increased my pb on a few tracks in initial testing. From that point I did 2 races and everything was functioning as anticipated. I suppose it's also worth noting I have the rumble intensity rather low within sim hub. I have the throttle set to 25% and the brake 27% but I find this more than adequate for the information I am looking for out of it.

Upvote 0
With your inquiry in mind tomorrow before racing I will open up the HE tool and run some vibration calls from simhub to see what if any deviation the smart control tool picks up. If you had any more specific tests in mind let me know and I could also try that.

Upvote 0
At present, they are just either side of my pedals I have to mount them under the deck but waiting for some wood to arrive, no I have a F1c rig ill get some pictures

I am using simhub I have 8 shaker two next the wheel deck two on the seat cushion and two on the back of my seat and of course two for the pedals

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This post has inspired me to try the same mod on my CSR Elite pedals too. Looks and sounds amazing, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I have CSR Elites with the Xbox rumble / Arduino mods. Mounting the rumble motors was super easy with P-clips using the existing Fanatec bolts that go through the foot plates.

P clips:

1614434370521.png

Edit:

I would say having haptic feedback when you lock your brakes or the wheels start slipping probably makes you a bit faster. That’s my impression.

Also, be aware, Xbox rumble motors come in pairs, one strong, one weaker. The strong one is best for this mod, so you may need 2 pairs (very cheap on eBay).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't judge my wires, as it works for me

Neat setup! Thanks for sharing, I am certainly no cable snob. I just recently added a cable track solution to my aluminum rails that cleaned things up a bit but it certainly is not a requirement. The thing I liked most was the sides were slotted which offered a lot of flexibility and they have double sided tape on the back which makes easy mounting. I have attached an image for reference.

Attachments

• Simrig_cable_track.jpg
    Simrig_cable_track.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 170
Upvote 0
Question for anyone, is there a way for me to upload the models here? I can't seem to add an stl or zip so I am guessing the only option is 3rd party links?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have CSR Elites with the Xbox rumble / Arduino mods. Mounting the rumble motors was super easy with P-clips using the existing Fanatec bolts that go through the foot plates.

P clips:

View attachment 449335

Edit:

I would say having haptic feedback when you lock your brakes or the wheels start slipping probably makes you a bit faster. That’s my impression.

Also, be aware, Xbox rumble motors come in pairs, one strong, one weaker. The strong one is best for this mod, so you may need 2 pairs (very cheap on eBay).
Thanks so much for this. Was literally my next question.
I can get the Xbox vibration motors in pairs for just under RM7 which is less than 2 quid... Plus postage from China I think.
The clips seem to be available in abundance at 13mm, is this roughly the diameter of the larger Xbox motor if you know off the top of your head?

Upvote 0
How does rumble affect load cell reading, have you had a chance to check raw pedals reading when rumbling kicks in?

With your inquiry in mind I have just completed some additional testing. I opened up HE smart control and ran a test with each the brake and throttle at 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%. Once I had the specific pedal registering this value in HE smart control I would issue 3 separate rumble sequences from Simhub. In each case I saw no discernible fluctuation in load reading from the pedals. On a couple occasions I saw a 1% increase on throttle read but I attribute that more so to my foot slightly twitching as I was just testing in socks. I took a brief video of this testing process but it seems I would need to upload this to another site to share it. If your interested in seeing this or have additional tests in mind please let me know. Thanks!

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Thanks, did you check raw output? Surprised you didn't see any jitter, load cell esp. on brakes is very sensitive.
Try DIView or DXTweak2, they show raw readings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I've never seen anyone complain about tactile/vibes interfering with their brakes. Well to an extent it was causing an issue. That includes some builds with the largest BK installed but various makes of pedals.

Additionally, vibrations did not interfere with Fanatecs sensors or they never would have implemented that as a feature. Not to mention lots of people applying "vibration motor based" solutions to all types of pedals.

If you don't notice a problem then the chances are it isnt one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I have transducers under pedal plate on cantilever plates and in this config the reading jumps and jitters when vibration kicks in. It could be even worse if vibration source is on the pedal itself.
Sim racing coach in his guide was warning about side effects of pedals mounted transducers.
Here's the translated piece
Finally, comment that they can be placed on the pedalboard support to also notice
vibration, but it can lead to misreadings by the usb controller of the
potentiometers, hall sensors or pedal load cells.

It's quite easy to test, just launch DXTweak2, press brake pedal and initiate vibration in simhub. You will see reading starting jumping. Is it severe enough to affect driving performance, it may or may not, as in my setup pedals themselves are not shaken, it's not noticeable, with bigger vibration I can see some impact in threshold braking scenarios, as you don't feed in smooth brake input.

Upvote 0
Thanks, did you check raw output? Surprised you didn't see any jitter, load cell esp. on brakes is very sensitive.
Try DIView or DXTweak2, they show raw readings.

I am away from my gaming station so I am not able to test at this moment. From what I saw DIView only appears to be for the HE ultimate and pro pedal sets. I am not familiar with DXtweak2 but I was under the impression the values reported by Heusinkvelds smart control was in effect raw as that is their utility for calibration on that set. Am I mistaken here?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

DIView and DXTweak2 are universal, they can read and calibrate any DirectInput device.
DXTweak2 is more modern, DIView may or may not work on Win10.
I am on HE Pro, btw. It is possible that my AuraSound transducers even in non pedals attached configuration have stronger kick, I remember CSP V3 pedals spinners had very little impact (feel) on accel pedal and none on more massive brake pedal.

Upvote 0
Yes I agree the motors configured on the V3 pedals are very toned down. I was actually quite surprised how much more output I noticed when I first connected the xbox 360 motors. I am guessing Fanatec has them very low for perhaps longevity or some other software consideration. I wish I could attach a short mp4 directly to this thread without using 3rd party file sharing sites.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 48 54.5%