• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Help With How To Do Transparency !

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by BaRkEr_55, Apr 16, 2010.

1. BaRkEr_55

BaRkEr_55

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, Been looking around and i cant find a guide on doing transparencey in textures, would someone please point me in the right direction been looking for a while now !. Many thanks

2. R Soul

R Soul

Ratings:
    +191
    It depends on what graphics program you're using. In Gimp it's very easy*: use the eraser on the lowest layer to create transparent areas. Save as dds, setting compression to DXT5. Gimp require a dds plugin, which you can find on google.

*Making it look good is the hard part

3. BaRkEr_55

BaRkEr_55

Ratings:
    +0
    I use Photoshop i have the dds plugin and its CS3 do u do the same as gimp in this ?

4. kmikiwi

kmikiwi

Ratings:
    +4
    U've to create an alpha channel in the canals option, which white color means what you see and black what u don't see.
    Create it in the canals of the file, creating a new layer, it will name "alpha" for default, create ur color zones and then, save it as dx5 .dds.

Then u can use it importing on BTB or 3dsimed.... any u're using.

Malla1..jpg Malla1t..jpg Malla1t_alpha..jpg
    Difuse map Alpha map Alpha channel

Hope to help!

5. chub_pearson

chub_pearson

Ratings:
    +2
    brumster100 did 3 videos which cover making transparent textures in Photoshop then importing them to BTB which are very helpful:

They're well worth a look :)

6. martinez

martinez

Ratings:
    +14
    There's a nice tutorial on using alpha channels in Gimp on YouTube. I got used too much to Photoshop, then Gimp seemed to me little strange ;)
    Unfortunately my PS doesn't see dds plugin, but I use DDS Converter 2, which reads psd files with transparency. Strange, but when I add alpha channel to psd file, that Converter doesn't work to cooperate. I found a way for half-transparent images then - save them as .tga with alpha and DDS Converter is happy :)

7. martinez

martinez

Ratings:
    +14
    :) err, it was for Photoshop, sorry :) But for Gimp it's also easy to find tutorials on the Web.