HELP!!! RF2 on Steam Won't Stop Validating!

Is there currently a problem with RF2 on Steam? For the past 12 hours+, on my system RF2 has been "validating" with the download bar stuck in place. Actually the "Validating" indication has been rapidly blinking - I don't think it's ever done that before.

I've validated all local files of RF2 a number of times - no problem there, but the problem persists. I've rebooted the computer a few times, but that didn't help either.

I'm tempted to uninstall, then reinstall rF2. But if I do that will I lose any DLC that I've previously purchased?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Is there currently a problem with RF2 on Steam? For the past 12 hours+, on my system RF2 has been "validating" with the download bar stuck in place. Actually the "Validating" indication has been rapidly blinking - I don't think it's ever done that before.

I've validated all local files of RF2 a number of times - no problem there, but the problem persists. I've rebooted the computer a few times, but that didn't help either.

I'm tempted to uninstall, then reinstall rF2. But if I do that will I lose any DLC that I've previously purchased?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Do you use the Release Candidate? There are people struggling with different workshop things after that. If you do, revert to stable build and try.

DLC content are connected to your Steam account, so no problems there. It will be a solid download to reinstall rF2, but not any content loss.
You should back-up your controller settings etc. though. Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player and find "controller.json" + "player.json" those are smart to back up :)

Nope, I didn't use the RC.

What happened was (in a nutshell), I downloaded (but never installed) a few Rally mods for Assetto Corsa. After which I got constant prompts that I had 5 viruses and should purchase McAfee. I ran my own virus checker which showed no viruses, but continued to get these spam prompts. Did a Malwarebytes scan which stopped the prompts - but then I got this RF2 problem. RF2 was fine before all this.

Re-installing now -- I hope this does the trick.

Unless it automatically installed, I did not use the Release Candidate.

I'll just back-up the controller.json file and re-install.

Thanks!
re-installing is often a huge waste of time. Try first just renaming the userdata folder.(after backing up your controllers) Then in Steam Validate the integrity of the files.

Unless it automatically installed, I did not use the Release Candidate.

I'll just back-up the controller.json file and re-install.

Thanks!

Don't forget
skins
setups
rbins if you save rubber
rfmods if you have made mods

Best way is to pack all this into JSGME or OVGME ( recommend) mods
Then impossible to lose anything and saves all that work to re-establish everything.

Besides using OVGME you should manually backup user data regularly just copy entire folder to your rF2 patches archive. Does not matter if it's not cleaned. Double safe then.
Nothing worse then losing a awesome wheel or car setup you made yesterday.

ovgme101.jpg

ovgme 101 2.jpg

Step further if you make "5kb" rfmods they are not editable so if you don't save precise mastemp files to inject you can't edit them and have to make all rfmods again. If they are intricate with custom track layouts and skins it takes forever so don't get caught out. :coffee:

ovgme 101 3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. But I've already re-installed. TBH, I didn't have any setups or skins or mods whatever worth worrying about.

I haven't thoroughly tested things yet, but it looks like it's back up and running.

However the best thing you can do on top of all that is to archive and unsub ALL content which is not S397 or DLC. That will leave you only 134 packages if you have all DLC ( less Go Karts )
I put all 3rd party content into archives which saves me 133GB 85GB of redownloads.

ovgme101 4.jpg

When content is updated like IOM and Dundrod other day .....
Resub the updated content and download it
Start Beyond Compare go to workshop content remove folders so you can see all packages easy and copy the 2 new versions into your archive then unsub the content again.
If you have rfmods you just uninstall, uninstall old versions of content and remake rfmods preferably using the saved mastemps. Then it takes a minute to do, delete old version add new version and repack and save updated mastemp files.
You only get a few 3rd party updates a week most are league packs.
This way your old version of content and rfmod is not removed by Steam so you can keep using it and only update rfmods when you feel like it.

Last edited:
Same thing happening to me. Tried reverting to stable build, cleared download cache. Nothing works. Trying to run it it gets stuck on Updating workshop. Any fix for this?? Really EFing irritating I can't play my game.

2023-03-05 11_45_04-Properties - rFactor 2.jpg

2023-03-05 11_50_15-Greenshot.jpg

CPU: Intel i7-6700K @4.01GHz
RAM: 4x G.Skill RipJaws V Series 8GB (32GB)
GPU: Gainward GTX 1070 8GB (Driver=516.94)
MoB: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 (Bios=F23g)
---
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick
Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
Logitech G27 Wheel
TrackIR5
---
A4Tech X7 Gaming Mouse
Logitech Z-5300 5.1
Logitech EN Keyboard
43" Philips 43PUS6503 TV (HDMI 2.0)

Last edited:
Pause the downloads and shut steam.
Open Mod manager check you have no rfmods using old content.
If you do uninstall the rfmods and uninstall and delete any old versions of cars leaving the rfmods "not instable" until you update cars in question.
Check Steamapps/ workshop/downloads/ 365960, what packages are in there should give you a clue what's going on.

If you find some cars look suspect go and check their installed cars / track folders and see if they have triple folders or anything else strange. Sometimes you can get a "new folder" inside a car folder and that will keep trying to install.

MM.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes