Skins Help plz, why do my patterns lose their shininess in-game?

I like to make gem type patterns, the problem is their glimmer doesnt remain
for example, this is the pattern,
dm46kn.jpg

then the in-game appearance is almost a far cry from the patterns look,
2mw6t1e.jpg

Is their any way to remedy this? I just wish to add some glimmer back into the pattern

Last edited:
Your texture maps should also be adjusted, it now has the same "shininess" for the whole car instead of an adjusted one per area on the texture. You can't expect the game to know what texture should shine or not without you specifiying it..

Well, this as far i go
i dont know about that stuff, unless someone has done youtube tuts on this. please if you know what program needed, and ill do my best to research this.

Last edited:
What you have to do is adjust the "map" texture too. The body textures are (usually) made up out of Diffuse (the one you made), normal map, "specular" map and detail map. The one you want to change is the "specular" map. The red, green and blue channel of that texture control different aspects of the "shininess" of the car.

What you have to do is adjust the "map" texture too. The body textures are (usually) made up out of Diffuse (the one you made), normal map, "specular" map and detail map. The one you want to change is the "specular" map. The red, green and blue channel of that texture control different aspects of the "shininess" of the car.

Waow, that looks very good. Would that dds file be located in the template? im trying to change a modded car, they only provided a very rough texture to mod the body.

You should unpack the kn5 file to access all textures used for the car

Thankyou, I thought I might need that. I have to buy 3dsim,
I have unpacked textures before during the 30-day trial, please hear me out here,
My experience with 3dsim, when i took the steering wheel texture, colored it, and put inside skin folder. there were no changes. By default, the skin folder never had that texture. It was a kunos car.
This time, its a modded car

Im just worried i might miss a step. When i take that texture out from kn5, it goes in skin folder right?

Thankyou, I thought I might need that. I have to buy 3dsim,
I have unpacked textures before during the 30-day trial, please hear me out here,
My experience with 3dsim, when i took the steering wheel texture, colored it, and put inside skin folder. there were no changes. By default, the skin folder never had that texture. It was a kunos car.
This time, its a modded car

Im just worried i might miss a step. When i take that texture out from kn5, it goes in skin folder right?

The content manager also has the option to unpack a kn5 file. And the texture goes into the skin folder and overrides the default texture used in the car. The texture MUST have the same name as the one used as the default one.

The content manager also has the option to unpack a kn5 file. And the texture goes into the skin folder and overrides the default texture used in the car. The texture MUST have the same name as the one used as the default one.

Ty, i think i know how to do it. please
I just have one more question, when trying to mod bmw e92 from kunos
If skin folder doesnt contain "CAR_cockpit_D.dds"
i took the CAR_cockpit_D.dds from kn5, changed colors inside
then placed inside skin folder.
no changes were seen. Unless i need a second file,
I thought any cars interior could be changed. is this true?

Last edited:
That one probably affects the LOD only, most of Kunos's cars have 2 LODs for the cockpit in the main kn5 using different materials.
ty, i have seen two similar dds files for interior.

i colored both of them. still no change. Please am i missing a step?
my skin folder look like this now, the two extra interior files are outlined
smpml0.jpg

after i roughly colored steering wheel for CAR_cockpit_D.dds
2q32mb5.jpg
And the n.dds
2jfy9ty.jpg

Last edited:
I just checked it and you should adjust the leather.dds in order to change the interior
It worked! if want the skin, just let me know. I know i only wanted to color the wheel, but i really like the results
I dont want to ask, but how make interior template?
also heres is the skin, its not done yet though
6egqo9.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play