• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Help me decide pls :) Monitor or Wheel?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Vangelis Parginos, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Monitor

2. Wheel

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Vangelis Parginos

Vangelis Parginos
    Greek SimRacing Community Premium

Ratings:
    +1,930
    Hello fellow racers,
    Its the time of year i have to buy something, again....
    I have a very hard choice to make, as you see at my signature i have a 27" beautiful monitor and the old but steady G27 with some modifications.
    The question to you all is, should i buy a 34" ultrawide monitor or should i upgrade to a T300 or TX or TS-PC?

Please give me your thoughts cause i have to send the letter to Santa :D

Thank you and keep racing
    Happy holidays

2. PicoBp

PicoBp
    #26 | HSRC - Banzaaaiii Touring Car Crew Premium

Ratings:
    +454
    I'd vote for this, if it was my christmas list: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC79G-B
    Approximately the same height as your current 27", but gives 32% more horizontal view. It's the next best thing after triples and VR. ;)

If you fancy a wheel change, you'd better wait some until the TS-PC price gets lower. It's a good piece of kit, but not that much better than the T300 as the price suggests.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Vangelis Parginos

Vangelis Parginos

Ratings:
    +1,930
    Thx for the suggestion Tamas, im closer to this one http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM58-P-ultrawide-monitor
    but not at that price, i have found it in an offer for 380 euros.
    As for the wheel, i think i have to drop the TS_PC cause of the price, so the choice is 34" monitor or change from G27 to tx-t300 ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. PicoBp

PicoBp

Ratings:
    +454
    Why so? I have basically the same (34UM57-P), the only real difference between the two is how low FreeSync can go. It's a good monitor, but you'll regret moving back to a lower refresh rate after that 144Hz AOC, especially when the price difference is that small. Natively it's only 60Hz, you can enforce 75Hz just with a custom resolution in the nVidia control panel. And it's still nowhere near to the experience of a 144Hz counterpart. You won't be able to use FreeSync either, so the higher native refresh rate pretty much wins in every aspect. Not to mention that the UC79 is curved, while the UM58 is flat.

P.S.: And you can always justify some extra cost by selling the old HW. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vangelis Parginos

Vangelis Parginos

Ratings:
    +1,930
    I cant find anything close to that price at 144hz here at Greece unfortunately... even at amazon its a 130 euros difference :(
    That's why i'm bending to the wheel upgrade and later hopefully i can go a better monitor.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Retro PC Sim Racer Premium

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Hi Vangelis mate.
    I have the LG34UM68 Freesync monitor 34" Ultrawide and I love it. It was the cheapest 34" monitor I could find. I'm not too bothered about higher resolutions like 4k yet and this resolution of 2560x1080 is just right for my card to push. I use it at 75hz with an AMD RX480 and its great. My eyes can't see the difference between 60hz, 75hz or 144 hz anyway.
    https://www.alza.co.uk/34-lg-34um68...cpa_produkty&gclid=CNzhnrXJ-NACFcad7QodvZsIzA
    :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vangelis Parginos

Vangelis Parginos

Ratings:
    +1,930
    So you suggesting to go for the monitor rather the wheel? :ninja:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Not really. What do you need the most V? A new wheel or a new flashy monitor?
    What I do know is that I had a G27 and it was a toy compared to my T500RS. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vangelis Parginos

Vangelis Parginos

Ratings:
    +1,930
    So you tell me to go for the wheel.... :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

Ratings:
    +2,994
    I'm not telling you to do anything V.
    Yes I am, buy the new wheel and good pedals and get the 34" ultrawide monitor. ;):):thumbsup: You only live once my friend.

• Love Love x 1
  11. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott
    "Ye Old Convict" Premium

Ratings:
    +637
    Go for the wheel, the monitor will eventually drop in price and be more affordable, while the wheel will potentially remain the same price.
    Unless you can convince Santa that @Andy Jackson had this great idea to "just go for it" and get the lot......you wont regret it! ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. PicoBp

PicoBp

Ratings:
    +454
    If you choose the wheel, don't aim any lower than the T300 Alcantara or TX Leather editions. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Or go higher and get the T500RS ;):D

• Haha Haha x 2
  14. PicoBp

PicoBp

Ratings:
    +454
    Higher? Well, maybe in pure force. But that comes with more internal resistance and cogginess (brushed motor vs brushless), bigger size, lack of support for current console generations and although a 30cm, but rubber coated wheel with a not too ideal button layout.

• Haha Haha x 1
  15. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

Ratings:
    +2,994
    LOL. I knew you'd bite.:laugh:;)

I have tried both the T300 and my current T500 and I can't tell the difference regarding "cogginess" or resistance. But the T500 is quite a bit more powerful. As for Console support, I couldn't care less:D. And my GTE wheel and F1 wheel feel good enough for me.

• Haha Haha x 1
  16. Jazz Forsberg

Jazz Forsberg
    a matter of time Premium

Ratings:
    +899
    Sorry Vangelis if my opinion struggles you even more, but I definately go for a wheel upgrade. If I were you I'd pick that T300 that comes now with the alcantara 30cm rim and the pro pedals without hesitation. Displays will improve in the meantime and/or get cheaper.
    Man, is a sim racing game, get dat wheel !!! :whistling::):thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  17. PicoBp

PicoBp

Ratings:
    +454
    Good for you. I couldn't stand the feeling of the T500, it was choppy (HT brushed motor + toothed belt), despite the fact that the torque it had was lovely. So I put my vote on smoothness, quicker rotation and better communication of subtle forces, for a small sacrifice in max torque. ;)

18. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott
    "Ye Old Convict" Premium

Ratings:
    +637
    Rob a Bank :cautious::whistling:.......get a Fannytic v2 base, Porsche 918 RSR wheel & V3 pedals :D:thumbsup:

I'm joking of course :laugh:;) I hope Santa brings you the pressie of your wishes.

Cheers.:)

• Haha Haha x 1
  19. Vangelis Parginos

Vangelis Parginos

Ratings:
    +1,930
    @Andrew Scott That 's what Santa told me too :D :laugh: :roflmao:

I will order the t300 finally... :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2