Help a Newbie...not Remortgage LOL

HI Experienced RRE drivers.

Instead of me buy stuff that I will never use / drive, could I ask what you recommend I should purchase. This is mainly for online use only, as I am really not an offline gamer, bearing in mind the following...

I love UK circuits, grass roots, lower end racing, not your super / hyper powered cars.

I have spotted the obvious of course, Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Formula Ford (so excited about this one) Audi TT.

Anything else that you would recommend that "is" used online.

Cheers

Shaun

We use pretty much everything in the club. We don't have set days for specific content really, though it's generally "easy" cars and short sprints on Tuesdays, "medium" cars with slightly longer sprints on Thursdays, and a much longer race with "medium/hard" cars on a Sunday.

I'd say the BMW M235i, Tatuus F4, Formula Junior and perhaps the WTCC cars would fit your stated interests the most. The Audi TT does but we don't use it much anymore due to disagreeable physics changes. The thing is that R3E has so much other quality content. Most notable are the GTR 3's which come up regularly in the club, as do the DTM '92s and Group 5s.

Note that Brands Hatch only includes the Indy layout. There is no full version yet, though we've been begging for it for ages... :thumbsdown:

HI Experienced RRE drivers.

Instead of me buy stuff that I will never use / drive, could I ask what you recommend I should purchase. This is mainly for online use only, as I am really not an offline gamer, bearing in mind the following...

I love UK circuits, grass roots, lower end racing, not your super / hyper powered cars.

I have spotted the obvious of course, Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Formula Ford (so excited about this one) Audi TT.

Anything else that you would recommend that "is" used online.

Cheers

Shaun
Just in case you don't know, with R3E online you only need the car you will be driving - not the whole series/pack. Example, for a WTCC race you only need to own one car, not like AC (just an example) where you would need to own the whole WTCC pack to race with others online. You can save quite a bit by not buying every car of a series and ALL liveries for said cars. Now for tracks, that's different, the more the merrier and you need to own to participate online. I don't know myself which tracks are the most popular for the RD organized racing. All the R3E tracks are of very good quality and many you won't find in other racing sims.

I don't think you can buy tracks based on how popular they are here on RD as, just like Ross mentioned, the content is rotated pretty evenly here.

I'd suggest just getting whatever tracks you like. The American track pack is a solid deal, the Starter pack is also a good deal for what it contains (it also includes a car from quite a few classes, allowing you to enter plenty of online races - the only catch being that for Group 5, it gives you the Greenwood Corvette, which is...well, not an ideal choice for a starter car, let's just say that... ;) )

Other than that, what I personally did was just follow the racing club here and just get content as needed. That means a track per week (so about 4 euro per week, even I could allow that with my tight budget) and then perhaps enter races for which I already owned the car or bought one when I could afford it. That allowed me to build my collection on a fairly steady pace without breaking the bank.

It's also a good thing to remember that you get discounts for the content you already own, so at times it might be cheaper to get one of the packs instead of just a single car/track (well it is always cheaper, but I mean cheaper even for someone on a budget that might not be able to afford one of the larger packs at that time).

If you enjoy grass roots racing then I definitely recommend the Swedish tracks... they are vastly underrated, I think, and not something you will find in many other sims. Plus, the "grass roots" feel they have is why I like them so much (that, and the fun layouts, of course).

All of them (Anderstorp, Karlskoga, Falkenberg, Knutstorp and Mantorp) are extremely fun for lower powered cars, which seems to be what you're after.

Some of my favorite combos are the Formula Junior at Karlskorga and the M235i at Falkenberg (and GT3 at Anderstorp but that's not exactly grass roots. GT4 should arrive sometime next year though... hopefully)

Other cars that I would recommend for these tracks are Tatuus F4, NSU, WTCC and Audi TT. Like @Ross Garland said, the Audi TT had some physics changes awhile ago that not everyone liked, but I personally love it... more challenging but also way more fun.

Also, when I first got into Raceroom, I made the calculations, and came to the conclusion that it was cheaper to buy the entire Premium Pack (with VRP points form the Raceroom store, cause it's cheaper that way) than to pick and choose only the cars and tracks that I wanted, but of course you might not want as many content as I did, so it depends. Plus, I bought the pack during an Easter sale.

If you want something low-powered, the NSU TT barely has an engine and costs under £2. It reminds me strongly of the cars from Race07's Retro and Retro Max DLCs. The model is cool to look at and is a blast to drive on short tracks - the Swedish tracks are a good fit, as are Zandvoort and Zolder.

The Starter Pack is a good place to, er, start. It has 10 cars from 10 different classes (remember that you'll be able to race against all the cars in each class) plus 5 tracks. It includes the NSU TT.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back