1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Having 3 monitors is so sweet

Discussion in 'Formula SimRacing' started by David Armstrong, Mar 18, 2011.

1. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Premium Member

I've been meaning to take a picture of this since Christmas:

My Baby.jpg

Very expensive, but a hell of a lot of fun :cool:

2. Danny Asbury

Danny Asbury
    Premium Member

This is something I've been considering as of late. I'll have to price something out. But that does look very, very sweet.

3. Kevin Ascher

Kevin Ascher
    #47 Roaring Pipes Maniacs

May I ask you how big the screens are, how much they were and what brand and model they are?

4. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Premium Member

The monitors are nothing special - 24" 1920x1200, Samsung SyncMaster 2443. They were just over $200 AUD each, but computer parts are very expensive here in Australia.

5. Kevin Ascher

Kevin Ascher
    #47 Roaring Pipes Maniacs

Cheers ;)
    Have fun with your set ;)

6. This is amazing! And it´s in the hands of the right man! What a powerful setup!

7. nice plate of chips :p

looks coold dude ill swop you my massive tower pc for you screens :p

8. Awesome! :D

9. O M G

Thats good stuff there Simon!!

10. I have been thinking about such a rig since a long time as well 3 monitor setup but never realy took the step to do it mainly because i feel im better off with just one screen and its still a reasonable big investment you have to make though.

To top off you just need a nice racing seat to complete youre rig Simon xD

11. Simon is slowely edging away from racing it seems and making his millions using his talented video making!!!
    Awesome looking kit though! Makes my rig look rather d.i.y!!!

12. Awesome stuff Simon!!!

Are you using a Digital TH2G box or SoftTH? what video card/s are you using? can you use a 4th monitor for your race telemetry?

I've got 3 x 22" using SoftTH but considering to get the Digital TH2G with SLI nvidia cards..

13. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Premium Member

No, my ATI graphics card has Eyefinity, so I can connect as many as 6 monitors (it's got 6 mini-DP connectors) without the need for SoftTH or TH2G. I've got 2 5870s, though I regret not getting just 1 5970, as most older games don't like Crossfire/SLI and even modern games don't utilize it very well at all.

If you're going for SLI nVidia you don't need TH2G or SoftTH, as new nVidia cards will let you run games across 3 monitors on their own. If you go with ATI you only need one card - which is useful is you're running an old game like DiRT 1 that won't run with SLI/Crossfire.

Whatever you pick, do your research before hand because there are many pitfalls you can fall into running 2 cards and/or 3 monitors.

14. all the cool kids have 120hz monitors.

15. ahh I didn't know the new nvidia cards allow that, thats great news as it saves $600 just to split the screens and not having to pay for a 2nd card...

Are you running each monitor at 1920x1200?

I run my 22" monitors at 1680x1050x3

16. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Premium Member

Yeah each monitor @ 1920x1200. On some FPS heavy games I can might turn it down to 1680x1050x3 because the difference is hardly noticeable but the increase in FPS is usually huge.

17. awesome!!!

the new ATI 6970 is only $412 at MSY, $200 cheaper than its rival Nvidia GTX580

18. Wow nice setup!You can do this with 3 22' monitors aswell right ?

19. Hmmm, this is kinda tempting. My 27" display is dropping in price at the moment too...