Haryanto completes 2016 F1 grid at Manor

Haryanto Pirelli Test.jpg

Manor Racing have announced the signing of Indonesian driver Rio Haryanto to their second seat, completing the grid for the 2016 Formula 1 World Championship.

The 23-year-old rookie candidate will become the first Indonesian driver to race in Formula 1, and the only driver from Asia on the 2016 grid. Haryanto completes an all-rookie lineup at Manor, the third such pairing for the team in the last four years, joining lead driver Pascal Wehrlein. Haryanto's F1 promotion comes after a breakthrough fourth season in the GP2 Series, where he won three sprint races in Bahrain, Spielberg, and Silverstone, and finished fourth in the series championship.

He earns the nomination over 2015 Manor drivers Will Stevens and Alexander Rossi - the latter of whom finished ahead of Haryanto in the GP2 standings last year, and picked up Manor's best finish of the season last year, 12th in the United States GP.

Manor Racing owner Stephen Fitzpatrick said of his new driver in a press release on Thursday,
"We are delighted to announce Rio as our second race driver for 2016. Rio’s been racing since he first got into a kart at six years old."

"He’s tenacious on and off the track and made a big impression on last year’s GP2 battle. Rio’s huge following in Indonesia is great for the team and for F1. They are keen to see him on the grid and we’re confident that we’ll see him enjoying some exciting battles in the year ahead."

Haryanto is a former Formula BMW Pacific champion (2009) and has won races in the GP3 Series, Auto GP World Series, and GP2. He was a test driver for what was then known as Virgin Racing in 2010, and he participated in a post-season young drivers' test at Yas Marina Circuit driving last year's Manor.

"Melbourne will be a huge moment for me, my country, supporters and fans and I want to thank everyone who’s been with me since I started in single seaters," said Haryanto. "2016 is my chance to reward that faith and represent Asia in F1."

Haryanto will also bring an estimated €5 million EUR worth of funding through Indonesia's state-owned oil giant Pertamina - who also sponsor Lamborghini's sports car racing programme. He has chosen to drive with the number 88.

What do you think about Manor's newest signing? How will Haryanto fare in his rookie season compared to rookie rivals Wehrlein and Jolyon Palmer? Discuss this and more in the comments below.

Image Credit: Manor Racing

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame for Rossi. But this is still a good signing for a small team. Having a significant backing doesn't hurt, tho some already label him "pay driver" ... Looking forward to the battle with all the young talent in F1 now.

Bring on testing next week!

Those 5 mill EUR, is in addition to the other money he was able to race. I think there was talk about at least 15 mill to get the seat, and he lacked some money. Which is what's been guaranteed there.

88 really ? H is the eight letter in the alfabet and nazi's use 88 as a acronym for heil hitler. Not sayin Haryanto is a nazi ofcourse, but i think a different number would be better.

I hear you man, but 88 is just a number. If someone is retarded enough to think otherwise, seek medical attention. You should not limit your options 'coz someone decides certain everyday thing have hidden meanings.

88 really ? H is the eight letter in the alfabet and nazi's use 88 as a acronym for heil hitler. Not sayin Haryanto is a nazi ofcourse, but i think a different number would be better.
Wait, does this mean that Jenson Button is a closet-Nazi too? He has the number 22 which from a distance looks vaguely like the 'SS' logo for the Schutzstaffel.

Eight is a lucky number in parts of Asia which I guess explains the 88. It's good to see an Asian driver in what is supposed to be a world championship but TBH I have never heard of him before now. Hopefully he has the talent to match his wallet.

Wonder if marussia is still going to be using their 2014 car this season. Probably yes because the engine upgrade from old ferrari to new mercedes is probably enough to keep them inside the 107%. And having wehrlein should improve their speed also. Stevens and Merhi were 2nd rate drivers at best so having wehrlein and merc engine probably already helps them go 2s faster per lap. Those things should be enough to guarantee manor the last place on the grid which allows them to collect their participation ribbon money from bernie.

Kinda sad for wehrlein to be driving that slow turd though. He should deserve a proper f1 car so he could fight for points. Marussia should be the place for the chiltons and erikssons on the grid who buy their seat with money and bring no talent at all. Those drivers who don't really have a career in f1 and can be replaced at will with no change in team performance. Having drivers like bianchi and wehrlein drive those turds is just pure waste of talent. That being said sauber probably has their 4 or 5 drivers already queued up for the next season so it's not like there are many places for wehrlein and merc to choose from where to put him...

If marussia goes under after this season like I think it will nobody is going to pick wehrlein unless mercedes pays because the marussia is so slow that it could make hamilton and vettel look like they have no business in f1. If that happens then sad for wehrlein but at least we can get rid of marussia.

I hear you man, but 88 is just a number. If someone is retarded enough to think otherwise, seek medical attention. You should not limit your options 'coz someone decides certain everyday thing have hidden meanings.
Yeah guess your right, ofcourse he should pick whatever he likes. About Haryanto, he will probably be gone of the grid next year anyway.

Shame for Rossi. But this is still a good signing for a small team. Having a significant backing doesn't hurt, tho some already label him "pay driver" ... Looking forward to the battle with all the young talent in F1 now.

Bring on testing next week!

I agree about Rossi, was really hoping he'd land the seat as he proved his merit last season. But on the bright side, it looks like I'll probably get to watch him race in person this year at Indy. :)

Anyone hoping the PC train has not left the station need look no further. :)

I agree about Rossi, was really hoping he'd land the seat as he proved his merit last season. But on the bright side, it looks like I'll probably get to watch him race in person this year at Indy. :)

Not a Rossi fan, but glad IndyCar snagged him. Get used to it. Also glad there is no "superlicence" in IndyCar, that I know of. I mean, if Rossi qualifies for the 500 why can't practically anyone? Wide Arms = high potential for change = high potential for drama. ;)

Last edited:
Wonder if marussia is still going to be using their 2014 car this season. Probably yes because the engine upgrade from old ferrari to new mercedes is probably enough to keep them inside the 107%. And having wehrlein should improve their speed also. Stevens and Merhi were 2nd rate drivers at best so having wehrlein and merc engine probably already helps them go 2s faster per lap. Those things should be enough to guarantee manor the last place on the grid which allows them to collect their participation ribbon money from bernie.

Kinda sad for wehrlein to be driving that slow turd though. He should deserve a proper f1 car so he could fight for points. Marussia should be the place for the chiltons and erikssons on the grid who buy their seat with money and bring no talent at all. Those drivers who don't really have a career in f1 and can be replaced at will with no change in team performance. Having drivers like bianchi and wehrlein drive those turds is just pure waste of talent. That being said sauber probably has their 4 or 5 drivers already queued up for the next season so it's not like there are many places for wehrlein and merc to choose from where to put him...

If marussia goes under after this season like I think it will nobody is going to pick wehrlein unless mercedes pays because the marussia is so slow that it could make hamilton and vettel look like they have no business in f1. If that happens then sad for wehrlein but at least we can get rid of marussia.

Manor please, there hasn't been anything "Marussia" since 2014 when the car manufacturer went bust.

Manor will use a 2016-car. A newly designed car, no more 2014 with bolt on-rule change parts as it was in 2015.
Also, as there are 11 teams in F1 again, you would need two top 10 in the last three years to get any of the column two money - so while Manor in theory could run a **** car this year, just to participate and take the money, that would mean 2017 would be the last year with the extra payments unless they get a top 10.

The small teams like Manor is perfect for youngsters - pair them up with a pay-driver and you have a typical small team. You can showcase your talent in such a car as well. Ricciardo proved it in HRT that he was no Marques and Bianchi showed that he was a real talent in the Manor. There is a reason why we don't hear much about Charles Pic and Jerome d'Ambrosio anymore, they just didn't show good enough speed in the slow car.

I hardly think Manor will go bust now, there are some serious work going on in the team now.

EDIT: I think Rossi is a victim of politics though. Apparently he was able to raise more money than Haryanto - but with COTA struggling, and the US marked not taking off this time either. Bernie is extremely keen on Haryanto as he have a big following in Indonesia and the southern Asia-market.

Max Chilton got a full-time seat, I think that shows the bar is set pretty low for getting into IndyCar. :lol:
:O_o:
Any F1 driver, and many great drivers as good or better than anyone currently in F1, are a wise choice for an IndyCar team. Why? Because you know they can win on road courses. Maybe not as rough as some of IndyCar's street circuits, but close. The problem has always been getting those drivers that have been raised on the road to be good on an oval. That's why Mansell was so great, IMO. I'm just glad the teams have the choice, within reason, to pick a non-cash-hauling driver themselves.

:O_o:
Any F1 driver, and many great drivers as good or better than anyone currently in F1, are a wise choice for an IndyCar team. Why? Because you know they can win on road courses. Maybe not as rough as some of IndyCar's street circuits, but close. The problem has always been getting those drivers that have been raised on the road to be good on an oval. That's why Mansell was so great, IMO. I'm just glad the teams have the choice, within reason, to pick a non-cash-hauling driver themselves.

True, but the reason Chilton got his seat has as much to do with his dad paying for the seat (and previous seats) as it does with any talent he may or may not have. It's a sad fact that the amount of money you bring to a team now has far more influence than your actual talent, especially in IndyCar where most teams seem to be in a constant struggle just to keep their heads above water.

Manor please, there hasn't been anything "Marussia" since 2014 when the car manufacturer went bust.
I use the term slow useless turd team then :).

Manor will use a 2016-car. A newly designed car, no more 2014 with bolt on-rule change parts as it was in 2015.
Also, as there are 11 teams in F1 again, you would need two top 10 in the last three years to get any of the column two money - so while Manor in theory could run a **** car this year, just to participate and take the money, that would mean 2017 would be the last year with the extra payments unless they get a top 10.
Are you sure it is 2016 car? I have not read anything like that.

Marussia will be 11th team this year I'm 100% sure of it. Haas will blow them out of the water, mclaren will improve and even rbr with the useless renault engines will be lapping the slow turds at least twice per race. Saubers will improve and the renault factory team will do better as well.

2017 looks to be a big change in tech rules which also means high costs for teams like the slow turd. And with haas dropping the slow turds to 11th place the only money coming their way is based on their 9th and 10th places in 2014 and 2015 seasons. Which means in 2018 they are not getting any money because they will finish 11th this year and 2017 if they are even running then.

What the slow turd team are doing is they hope the 2017 rule change will attract someone who buys the team. That way the owner can recuperate some of their 100 million dollars it costs (that's the amount the teams paid to get in) to enter into f1. The team is worthless but the spot itself is worth a tons and tons of money. The money coming from bernie has helped them to drive around at the back of the field for couple of seasons now but that money won't be there in 2018. And when the bernie money stops coming they are done period.

The small teams like Manor is perfect for youngsters - pair them up with a pay-driver and you have a typical small team. You can showcase your talent in such a car as well. Ricciardo proved it in HRT that he was no Marques and Bianchi showed that he was a real talent in the Manor. There is a reason why we don't hear much about Charles Pic and Jerome d'Ambrosio anymore, they just didn't show good enough speed in the slow car.

Ricciardo only got out of the HRT because he had red bull backing. Nobody (except those at hrt) had any positive things to say about ricciardo when he was driving in hrt because hrt was.. incredible poor. Without red bull backing ricciardo would have never driven any f1 car in his career than the hrt. If it was possible to prove your skills in those slow turds then we would have drivers like bianchi and glock progressing into the mid field teams. But nobody wanted them because the car they drove made them look so bad drivers. Yes, bianchi had apparently a deal with sauber but sauber had booked something like 5 drivers to drive 2 cars so had bianchi not died he would be driving in the slow turd team this season as well.

The ultra small and uncompetitive teams like caterham, hrt and slow turd have not been good to anyone. They only hire pay drivers who would not get into f1 on merit, their car is so outclassed by the competition that it makes the drivers look worthless and kills their careers. What f1 needs is to get rid of marussia and get teams like haas, sauber, force india and toro rosso who employ real talent and allow the drivers to show what they can do. Had verstappen made his start in slow turd red bull might have even dropped him at the end of the season. But instead he drove in a good solid midfield team and was able to show he belongs to f1.

I hardly think Manor will go bust now, there are some serious work going on in the team now.
I think they just quit. It is cheaper for them to just quit than to continue. They are hoping for a buyer to come. They'll might even do some bare minimum car design work for 2017 so they can show it to potential buyers. But selling an f1 team is hard as was showcased by the lotus now renault team. That team was for sale for years and years and by sheer luck the politics played out in such way that renault had to buy the team.

Hiring couple of high profile names can make the team look attractive for 2017 for someone who doesn't know much about f1 but the reality is at best the slow turd team can be 11th. Any potential buyer is looking at team that needs tens of million of money and minimum of 2 years before it can even hope to score points without huge luck. Only thing worth selling is their spot in the grid.

I use the term slow useless turd team then :).

Are you sure it is 2016 car? I have not read anything like that...

They recently hired a bunch of people including Pat Fry and Nik Tombazis who both did fairly well at other teams. I guess those guys know a bit more about building F1 cars than you (or I) so I suppose we should wait to see what they can do.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.