1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Gutted...

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by kohnboy, Dec 14, 2009.

1. I unfortunately had a massive failure on my PC and lost my whole C Drive last week. I am in the process of "rebuilding" my PC.

Fortunately I run almost all my gaming off an external drive so most everything (Mods, Tracks, etc...) is ok.

Now that I've reinstalled the basics I wanted to get some clarification on what to do now for BTB...

1) The program itself was on my C drive including x packs and my projects. All have been lost (My mistake I know. I had next to nothing on my PC and always felt it was low risk... stupid).

Anyhow- I checked my license on the BTB site yesterday morning. Am I entitled to a second download or do I have to buy a new one? If its the latter its worth it- just checking.

2) I had exported my WIP track to GTR2 to test just before the crash.
    Is it possible to import that work back into BTB whenever I get #1 fixed?
    Would think the biggest issue would be that the track has xpack info that will no longer be in BTB (my personal xpacks specifically). Any advice?

3) If #2 cannot be done easily what is the recommended way of not losing everything I've done to date and rebuilding?

In short a public service announcement- if you haven't backed up your files in awhile do it. A hard lesson to learn that isn't worth it...

2. Export gps data from simed using the aiw for the track, then import it into btb.
    Save the terrain/models/etc as 3ds and Use xpacker to import them as objects.

3. 1. I would wait until V0.9 is released & all licences will be reset.

2 & 3. No easy way I'm afraid.
    Is there any chance you can recover data from your old Hard Disk??

As for backing up I recommend a USB key.
    They are really cheap now & reliable as far as I can tell.

Good Luck.

4. Thanks man. I guess I could wait until 0.9 is released.
    Any idea when that is due?

In the meantime I do have the original KML still.
    That was saved. So it can be the basis for a new version of the track.

And the export I sent to GTR2 was not packed so all the .dds for roadside signs, billboards, etc. can be made into a new xpack I guess....

So maybe not all that bad. It took me 5 months to learn and build the track at the same time up to this point.

With what I know now bet I can rebuild it in less than a month.
    Trying to remain positive.

5. Thats the spirit! :D

6. Just a thought.
    when you get your new machine running you should be able to run the demo for 2 weeks:)