GTR2 RTX ON with ReShade

Shovas

Premium

In the above video I start out with the shader disabled and throughout the video I toggle it on and off. Watch the trees, when they're darker the shader is on, and when they're lighter it's off. You'll get the hang of it.

You want to look for general lighting, colour being 'projected' onto other surfaces (ie. orange from mirror shroud projected onto mirror itself) and places where shadows should be projected (ie. real-time shadows underneath some dashboard components). Cockpit components, tires, car carriage shadows, trees, barriers, etc. all seem to get some shadow treatment.

In the above video I toggle the shader on and off throughout. You want to look for general lighting, tire and car carriage shadows, body panel joint shadowing, etc.

There are some drawbacks like GPU load and visual ghosting where the RT stuff takes time to update. You probably need a high end 40xx Nvidia GPU to optimize away the visual artifacts so I probably won't be using this myself but wow is it impressive.

This was done with ReShade enabled by The Iron Wolf's Crew Chief GTR2 Enhancements Plugin and ReShade addon (work in progress) and the dh_uber_rt shader:

"This shader is an All-in-one "Screen Space Ray Tracing" shader. It produce Global Illumination, Ambiant Occlusion and Reflections in a highly customizable little package.

I was blown away that it really did seem to be doing what it said it would be doing with RTX with GTR2.

Last edited:
The shadow edges seem a bit fuzzy to me. I am wondering if this can be improved by adjusting the settings in Reshade. The movement of shadows on the dashboard and car interior looks good, but the shadow edges seem to fade out too much or are too blurry.

Agree here with Speednut - parts of this effect look promising, but bullirness and ghosting are not my thing either (and worst of all, 4ms cost in VR is not acceptable). But the cool thing is the potential of this stuff. GTR2 is CPU bound, and CPUs are speeding up very slowly. But ReShade is 98% GPU bound, and GPUs are still evolving at 1.5x/2x pace each generation - opportunities with this are awesome. And there are literally hundreds of effects available, some of them are fantastically optimized and look very nice, it's just a matter of what one wants.

I might try reworking rain reflections in GTR2 one day so that they use ReShade shaders instead of CPU used today.

Last edited:
I bet this could be tuned and optimized quite a bit. There's a number of settings to play with. It is heavy, though, and I take it mostly as a tech demo right now.

As Iron Wolf says, it does really show what potential there is still left in these old games.

This seems to me like a whole new era of classic games remastering.

Last edited:
I bet this could tuned and optimized quite a bit. There's a number of settings to play with. It is heavy, though, and I take it mostly as a tech demo right now.

As Iron Wolf says, it does really show what potential there is still left in these old games.

This seems to me like a whole new era of classic games remastering.
Checkout RTX Remix as well :) I tried running it with GTR2 but it crashes currently. Nvidia looks for feedback, so if you have time....

Latest Monitor trial:

Unreal Engine 4 (ACES) Tone-mapper = adaptivetonemapper.fx. Very nice realistic lighting with this - GTR2 now loses its slight matt look and now begins to look like earlier versions of Sol Assetto Corsa. I'm really impressed. Largestyle of the Raceroom boards created this package. Raceroom shares legacy with GTR2 so I thought it would be good match and it is. However I'm only using 2 of his effects with one being the aforementioned and also his colour_balance.fx. All other fx effects deleted as they oversatuarate colours. Use version 4. I will review and thank him tomorrow.

Latest Monitor trial:

Unreal Engine 4 (ACES) Tone-mapper = adaptivetonemapper.fx. Very nice realistic lighting with this - GTR2 now loses its slight matt look and now begins to look like earlier versions of Sol Assetto Corsa. I'm really impressed. Largestyle of the Raceroom boards created this package. Raceroom shares legacy with GTR2 so I thought it would be good match and it is. However I'm only using 2 of his effects with one being the aforementioned and also his colour_balance.fx. All other fx effects deleted as they oversatuarate colours. Use version 4. I will review and thank him tomorrow.

Thanks I'll try this

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea