(GTR/GTR2) Adjusting shift lights in dashboard/Motec

Hey everbody,

recently I've been getting into GTR and GTR2 again, or rather: I've never really left these games. Right now it's kinda interesting for me to compare GTR and GTR2 and compare some of the differences of the cars.

Right now I am really enjoying the C5-R in GTR and I am wondering how I could modify the shift lights? Sorry for my super shitty video, but you can see that all four shift lights are very far apart on the rpm range (especially the last, which only comes on after hitting the last red rpm bar in the HUD). When racing, it's basically always the first two staying on and only the third coming on to shift (see end of the video), with the fourth being completely useless as the car is out of breath so up high the rev range.

I would love to fix this and move the rev range a little closer - but I was never good at modding in GTR and GTR2. And yes, I know, I filmed my own monitor like a food - I tried everything, but nothing would record GTR correctly.

I know this is a very specific question, but maybe someone can tell me how to fix or adjust this? I've looked through all car files and didn't find anything, nor did I find anything useful with GEditor. I'm kind of a noob, really. I've also never found a fix to make the Motec (see video) work under Windows 10, but I think this is infenitely broken in Win10.

All help is gladly appreciated!

Last edited:
You will have to edit two files. The dash dds file to move the unlit lights to where you want them, and the .car file display coordinates to relocate the lit lights.

The MOTEC is finicky but can usually be coerced to function. Hopefully someone else will step in here as there are several things to try (I've given up on a couple of cars after trying several things to no avail).

But it sounds like your gearing is too tall, so the engine never redlines in top gear. That gear should be such that at the braking point at the end of the longest straight, with a light fuel load, the red just flickers (on many cars the lights do not match the tach at that point, I've found the tach to be more accurate).

You will have to edit two files. The dash dds file to move the unlit lights to where you want them, and the .car file display coordinates to relocate the lit lights.

The MOTEC is finicky but can usually be coerced to function. Hopefully someone else will step in here as there are several things to try (I've given up on a couple of cars after trying several things to no avail).

But it sounds like your gearing is too tall, so the engine never redlines in top gear. That gear should be such that at the braking point at the end of the longest straight, with a light fuel load, the red just flickers (on many cars the lights do not match the tach at that point, I've found the tach to be more accurate).

It is correct about tall gearing - but I've done that on purpose because the engine will drop off power too quickly so high up in the rev range.
Still, the last LED in the cockpit only comes on when the very last (!) of the four red stripes in the SimBin UI is coming alive - and by then it feels like the car is only at 400 hp instead of 600.

Thanks for your reply tho! I will have another look at this.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 48 36.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 78 59.5%