GT3 Challenges Pack Released for rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 GT3 Challengers Pack Released.jpg

Four of the five new GT3 cars for rFactor 2 have been released today!

Released just 24 hours after the final car reveal yesterday, the five vehicle 'GT3 Challengers' DLC for rFactor 2 is here! Although containing five cars, players will have to wait for a little while yet until we get access to the brand new 2019 Aston Martin Vantage GT3, that one is undergoing final manufacturer approval and hasn't quite managed to sneak into the pack ahead of the release deadline today.

Even without the Aston, the new car pack from Studio 397 is an incredibly impressive achievement and in my opinion at least, really showcases the exceptional potential of what is one of the finest racing simulations currently available. The new cars, the BMW M6, McLaren 720s, Audi R8 LMS and Porsche 911 GT3 R are quite literally the highest quality Studio 397 have released to date, and represent the first pieces of content to be developed with the much anticipated new materials shaders for the title.

Although joining the sim as a standalone DLC, the new cars have received suitable BOP settings to allow them to race competitively with the current crop of GT3 machines, meaning rFactor will have a very impressive collection of no less than 10 recent GT3 cars within the sim (plus the older Camaro GT3 from the ISI era).. not bad going in the space of just over one year..

For me, these new cars that form part of the 'GT3 Challengers' DLC are testament to the quality Studio 397 are capable of delivering, and could, quite possibly, be some of the finest content in sim racing....

The Studio 397 announcement notes:

With a great heritage in GT class racing, we are proud to announce the next pack released for rFactor 2 – The GT3 Challengers Pack. Featuring not just one, but two world firsts! GT represents much of what rFactor 2 stands for, and fits into our feature set of day/night transitions, weather and driver swaps. We hope you enjoy this pack that also features our latest graphic engine technology.

With our existing GT3 Pack and the Endurance Pack we now have 13 GT class cars that can race on track – add a couple of LMP’s and we have one of the most diverse grids in sim racing.

Once again we are proud to have great support from partners to help us make this happen.

Download on Steam right here!

Now let’s take a look at what’s in awesome pack!

McLaren 720s

rF2 McLaren 720s 1.jpg
rF2 McLaren 720s 2.jpg

To bring one of their new incredible cars onto race tracks, McLaren developed the stunning 720S GT3.

Modern design, impressive aerodynamics and years of experience in Motorsport should help this car to claim wins among several premier GT3 events in 2019.

Porsche 911 GT3 R

rF2 Porsche 911 GT3 R 1.jpg
rF2 Porsche 911 GT3 R 2.jpg

It probably wouldn’t be called motorsport if the iconic brand Porsche aren’t part of a class.

The 911 GT3 R is once again a very balanced, race-proven car by the German manufacturer, reinforcing their image as being amongst the highest rated contenders in a series.

Audi R8 LMS GT3

rF2 Audi R8 LMS GT3 1.jpg
rF2 Audi R8 LMS GT3 2.jpg

Considered as one of the all-time favourites, this midship RWD car by Audi has been competing in GT3 since the beginning, winning significant races around the globe for a variety of teams. A demanding but rewarding choice.

BMW M6 GT3

rF2 BMW M6 GT3 2.jpg
rF2 BMW M6 GT3.jpg

From the very start, the BMW M6 GT3 hit the grids all over the motorsport world and proved the V8 concept to the German manufacturer. Leading several Endurance events in different series and also claiming the 2018 FIA GT World Cup title, this car is a winner.

Aston Martin Vantage 2019

The second generation of the Aston Martin Vantage GT3 is ready for some serious racing action. It will enter GT events in 2019 and beefs up the already stunning road version of the Vantage. With the prestige and expertise Aston Martin brings into racing, it’s a challenger you always have to keep an eye on.

*Please note this car will be released as part of the pack once approved

Final Notes
These cars are built with our new graphic technology, based on PBR lighting. We are converting more of our older content and yes, we are bringing more liveries to you shortly!

For painters, we are finalising the templates and the technology behind it, trust us, it will be a game changer for you! In the meantime, please read more on our December Roadmap here https://www.studio-397.com/2018/12/roadmap-update-december-2018/

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
If you don't like rF2 move on
This was repeated to ad infinitum when people were reporting issues in the past with rf2. "Don't like this, then go away.". So people did and handful of hardcore believers is what was left and then isi gave up with rf2. This hardcore group was against everything that could improve rf2 and made their opinions well known attacking anybody who wasn't singing the right songs. The yearly online fee that totally killed the growth and online racing of rf2 was a "must have" and "perfect as is". Talk about the ui or graphics was met with the same smug response. Don't like it, don't play it and go away. In the even even their game developer took that advice and wanted to kill the game but s397 was there...

Games only become better through criticism and acting on it and while it is sometimes annoying it is absolutely necessary or the game will simply die. Instead of ignoring criticism and focusing on pleasing smaller decreasing number of hardcore fans rf2 needs to listen the issues the not so openly rf2 loving people have. Rf2 needs lots of improvements but it also needs a lot more people to play it and only way to get more people is to fix the issues that make them ignore rf2. There are reasons people play rf2 and there are reasons people don't. The more issues you fix the bigger the first group becomes.

I ran all three new car packs at Sebring.
The old GT3 and the endurance pack were absolutely fine, proper fps and cpu headroom. Both had the same issues I’m referring here after their initial release.
Now the new GT3 pack just saw the light of day with the exact same problem. Ergo I think it’s bad optimization.
Well let’s wait and see

Funny you say " moving on ." then go on to describe the cars you like in other sims ...... hehehe

Since I own all sims bar iRacing and this is a rf2 thread

Have you driven any of the Historic Eves around Belgium Chris ? ;)

F3 Eve is barely 100bhp and at Belgium has only 4 braking points
Eau Rouge, Les Combes, Blanchimont and La source , the rest is 100% throttle
Sounds so easy hey, good lap is 4:16
By 4:18 the car, physics, chassis, FFB start working and it comes alive then immersion just starts to build every 1/10th you take off and that 1/10th feels like a real accomplishment.

Driving Eve counterpart cars in Kunos and SMS if I can put in 1 word are "melodramatic"
What I mean is the cars "feel" the same to drive out of the box as a PB lap
I can drive identical lines every lap and throttle response / grip pickup is always easier to gauge it is like you have a few more percent gap then rF2 and that almost always makes it feel "slightly canned" for me so compared to the same rF2 cars their is just no real excitement.there

Visuals models and sounds makes up heaps for most people as proved by the surge in rF2 sales and approval rating, it had nothing to do with physics they were already there from day 1

What I mean is the cars "feel" the same to drive out of the box as a PB lap
I can drive identical lines every lap and throttle response / grip pickup is always easier to gauge it is like you

Thats how it is when there is a lack of grip variation, it could be because tire kinetic friction is wrong, and seems that it is one of the most difficult things for simracing devs to figure out, the easy way is to give "good handling" if you know what I mean.

Games only become better through criticism and acting on it and while it is sometimes annoying it is absolutely necessary or the game will simply die. Instead of ignoring criticism and focusing on pleasing smaller decreasing number of hardcore fans rf2 needs to listen the issues the not so openly rf2 loving people have. Rf2 needs lots of improvements but it also needs a lot more people to play it and only way to get more people is to fix the issues that make them ignore rf2. There are reasons people play rf2 and there are reasons people don't. The more issues you fix the bigger the first group becomes.

I absolutely agree, constructive criticism is very important, however that isn't what I was talking about, out right aggression toward those with differing opinions In a forum dedicated to the fabulously diverse world of sim racing is what I was talking about. Like I said if people really don't like one particular sim move on and play something else, there is plenty of choice. The one thing I have discovered is that ever sim I have tried has something to offer, and none is perfect.

Emotionally invested supporters who take any (constructive or otherwise) criticism of their favourite game as a personal attack are pretty much a blight affecting every sim and every forum - these people actually do their beloved titles a disservice by alienating existing and potential customers with their smugness and aggressive logical fallacies. Feedback, positive and negative, is essential for titles to develop. ISI rested on the laurels of rF2s incredible physics and seemingly refused to acknowledge that players wanted audiovisual immersion, great content, decent presentation and user friendly interaction with the game's powerful systems. And sim drivers flocked to other titles who could provide this. Thankfully S397 acknowledged rF2's critical shortcomings even if the hardcore fans wouldn't. I think they've done an incredible job transitioning to a more modern graphical presentation, providing content that people actually want to play, improving performance and (eventually) overhauling the most user hostile interface in all of sim racing - all while maintaining backward compatibility. And all while staying engaged and communicative with their userbase and open to feedback on issues of performance and QC, both of which have improved markedly. I'm happy to support the developers through purchasing DLC (warts and all) because I know that the money is being used to finance fundamental changes to the game. 2019's rF2 will be such a totally different beast to the moribund game I first tried in 2014. Thanks S397. OK I'm off to demolish a ham. Merry christmas to you all.

I tell you how to have good offline fun with the GT and testing compare

Run online room offline
Anyone can host a room and join no settings required just no one can join which is what you want

With MAS2 make a simple mod, all 14 GT cars, select the skins you want and test tracks ...if I can do it anyone can trust me
Run the mod offline and set all tracks sessions, weather, road etc etc
This will save it for the dedicated menu so you won't have to reset everythiing
Go online RF2, click on the host tab, use your new mod to make a room
Start server
click on Multiplayer refresh find your room and click join
That's it

Now why go through all that when I just run offline ? Fair question

Because .if you do you will be able to swap between all 14 cars in the garage at anytime ...sweet

So you can do 2 laps in one car and instantly swap to new car and do 2 laps while everything is still fresh in your mind .........never shut down to swap

If you thinking you be affected by lag with slow connection it is irrelevant as you not really online :O_o: lol

Best lurk in a sim :)

EDIT:
Doh ....I forgot to mention best of all
Especially for people with little time or slow computer transfers
Testing all 14 cars this way you will save 13 x rF2 shutdown, select new car and track loads
Spend the extra time driving ! ;)

Last edited:
@Chris Wyatt Try the USF2000 (official S397 content, which was the first car they made after taking over from ISI) in rFactor 2, it may change your opinion about open wheelers..
Just tried the USF2000 on the newly released Cremona Circuit that I found on the workshop and I see what you mean. Really impressive. This circuit was a little tight for the GT3's but the USF2000 was a different story.

Just tried the USF2000 on the newly released Cremona Circuit that I found on the workshop and I see what you mean. Really impressive. This circuit was a little tight for the GT3's but the USF2000 was a different story.
My go to track for the USF2000 is always Zandvoort, but that may only be because I am Dutch.:D I subscribed to Cremona as well, but have not tried it yet, but will do soon.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.