Tracks Gravel traps in blender

Hey,
I am thinking about making a track in blender, but I have one question.
How do you make grass to have less grip and make car spin, gravel to work, well like gravel traps does and asphalt having normal grip? I haven't found any post or video about it.

Thanks

You have to set this in the surfaces.ini file in you track's data folder - Grass objects should normally be called "1GRASS_" in Blender, but you can also define your own surface types in the ini eg:

[SURFACE_5]
KEY=GRAVEL
FRICTION=1.4
DAMPING=0
WAV=
WAV_PITCH=0
FF_EFFECT=NULL
DIRT_ADDITIVE=0
IS_VALID_TRACK=1
BLACK_FLAG_TIME=0
SIN_HEIGHT=0
SIN_LENGTH=0
IS_PITLANE=0
VIBRATION_GAIN=0
VIBRATION_LENGTH=0

(These are just basic settings but play around to get the effect you want)
In this instance objects with the prefix "1GRAVEL...." would inherit these surface properties...

You have to set this in the surfaces.ini file in you track's data folder - Grass objects should normally be called "1GRASS_" in Blender, but you can also define your own surface types in the ini eg:

[SURFACE_5]
KEY=GRAVEL
FRICTION=1.4
DAMPING=0
WAV=
WAV_PITCH=0
FF_EFFECT=NULL
DIRT_ADDITIVE=0
IS_VALID_TRACK=1
BLACK_FLAG_TIME=0
SIN_HEIGHT=0
SIN_LENGTH=0
IS_PITLANE=0
VIBRATION_GAIN=0
VIBRATION_LENGTH=0

(These are just basic settings but play around to get the effect you want)
In this instance objects with the prefix "1GRAVEL...." would inherit these surface properties...
Okay, and how do I set this properties to the object on track, do I have to name the grass objects "1GRASS_"? And what if there are more of these objects, should it be "1GRASS_1", "1GRASS_2" etc.?

I understand the properties how to set up the surface, but what is the "KEY" value, does the name matter and if yes, are there some specific names?

And does it matter what is [SURFACE_1], [SURFACE_2] etc.

Yes the objects should be named like you say, doesn't matter what SURFACE_1,2 etc is.
The 'KEY' value simply defines which meshes inherit the properties - you can use whatever you like, then any mesh using the prefix you define will have those surface properties.
More useful information here:

Only thing to note with KEY is if it matches more than one, it'll use the top one in the ini. so if you had 1GRASS_ASPHALT that's bad, and if you want multiple types of asphalt they need to be keyed as ASPHALT1 ASPHALT2 type of thing, you can't have ASPHALT and ASPHALT2

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.