Given the age of that thing, Big Jim sure is doing a wonderful job on it. I retired my GPL a while back, due to the sheer age, limitations and technical issues of it, but the guy sure can do a damn good job. He`s making it look fantastic, as would be expected. Yes, it`s missing so many things we all take for granted now, but when it eventually comes out, there`s no doubt it will be a masterpiece for GPL.

He`s taken far too much crap over the years from the "convert it to my sim" crowd when he`s objected to those conversions for obvious reasons. Good on the guy. He`s never asked for one penny, and put in thousands of hours. I`ll happily tip a glass in his direction when he's finally happy to release this one.

Some crap in their own nest, fact is more rips of IOM Jim sees the less likely he will ever release full road for public use.

There was only ever 1 IOM abridged version got permission and that was for a Nascar 2003 league
They were supposed to keep it private and show him the work before release, in their wisdom they
never did either !

Jim bagged the conversion as graphically poor and said he would have never allowed it to be released in it's current form and that he would not allow another because he could not trust people to do the right thing
He might be entitled to do whatever he wants with his work, but that is the attitude of a very paranoid and narcisistic person.

2003 was more than 15 years ago, a lot of people came and went in the modding scene and if he seriously thinks that across 4 or 5 different games there isn't a single modder with the skills he deems "appropriate" to undertake a conversion and bring his work to other games in the best way possible, then I guess he lives under a rock and didn't see what masterpiece the Targa Florio conversion turned out to be or how critically acclaimed the F1 1965 conversion was. I might be slightly biased, and perhaps bitter, as I was part of the team that brought the latter to rF1 (and what started as a simple conversion has since expanded into an almost 100% scratch made mod with a 1958 scratch made season wip aswell), but come on. The talent is out there. The people that can do it already showed that it's possible.

To still be stuck in time as if it still was 2003 is just asinine. I have tremendous respect for his work as a modder. But as a modder myself, I have little respect for his attitude towards his "colleagues". Because it's as if he thinks that he's the best in the world and everybody else is not worthy of him.

His work, his decision to do whatever he wants with it. In any case, there's always someone to convert stuff whatever the opinion of the modder is.

I don't know if you were aware of the issue, but your friend and part of your team "mgs_ita" came to my former league, to ask a championship to be cancelled in his first post over there, because they were using a leaked version of your mod (leaked by the league working with you).
So your team wasn't happy for your conversion to be used in a manner that didn't suit you, but you sure can give lessons to people on how they should take care of their thousands of hours of hard work on scratch made material.

His work, his decision to do whatever he wants with it. In any case, there's always someone to convert stuff whatever the opinion of the modder is.

I don't know if you were aware of the issue, but your friend and part of your team "mgs_ita" came to my former league, to ask a championship to be cancelled in his first post over there, because they were using a leaked version of your mod (leaked by the league working with you).
So your team wasn't happy for your conversion to be used in a manner that didn't suit you, but you sure can give lessons to people on how they should take care of their thousands of hours of hard work on scratch made material.
Please go rant somewhere else. Your logic is so flawed it looks like a slice of Swiss cheese.

I never was against people using my mod for their own league. I/we were against people using unfinished betas that were only meant for internal use. If they had waited for it to be properly released, we would've been more than happy to go, join and race with them. The mod wasn't ready at the time, yet people were playing with what they thought was the final product, which cleary wasn't. The final revision of the '65 mod was released 3 years after the leaked beta and included hundreds of € spent in books and trips to Fiorano (he even did a test with a replica of the '67 Ferrari paying with his own money) to get all the possible data on the cars, an interview with Dr. Forghieri and Sir Surtees (when he was still alive) in Maranello and lots of allnighters to stress-test and bugfix the mod.

This guy, on the other hand, has had one bad experience 15+ years ago and still thinks all modders but him are trash and not worthy of him and his level of skill.

That's the difference.

Scroll to the bottom of Jim's news page

So, I just don't want any more versions of this cut down "shortened impression" of a track out there..............

That was in 2008 ...how do you think he feels about it now ? lol

So the obvious next question is, ok if you don’t want people to drive the short version of IOM MC in other Sims, besides the version already allowed for NASCAR 2003, will you allow conversion of the full length track to other Sims, once completed?

Years ago I had crazy idea of starting a fund raiser to buy Jim a up to date PC so people could send work from newer sims

You don`t need the driver package that Lynn Deman mentions above to run GPL!
I do NOT recommend to install it!

You only need the latest version of the GPLPS GPL Installer Beta 1.08:
http://gplps.wordpress.com/gplps-gpl-installer/

Please look here:

Grand Prix Legends (GPL) Easy Installation Guide (English)
http://www.gplworld.de/en/grand-prix-legends/gpl-easy-installation-guide

Grand Prix Legends (GPL) Easy Installation Guide (German)
http://www.gplworld.de/grand-prix-legends/gpl-easy-installation-guide

Also see GPLLinks:
http://www.gpllinks.org/

If you need additional help please visit the
Sim Racing Mirror Zone (SRMZ) forums:
http://srmz.net/

Last edited:
McLaren.jpg

Thundering your way to the finish line.

Simracing is fun. One of the reasons why, is that it allows you to try some amazing cars, experiencing something that would simply be impossible otherwise. Maybe because you would not be able to afford it, maybe because these cars just do not exist anymore. A fine example is the 'Can-Am ’71' mod for Grand Prix Legends.

This is one of my favourite mods, probably second only to the massive Power&Glory expansion for the good old GTR2. It features almost the entire car roster from the season, however with some sore exception like the missing BRM P167, and a complete track pack is also available giving you the possibility of racing these monsters in the locations they actually raced at back then. All models are shaped beautifully, considering the evident limitations of a 20-year-old engine that was not meant for closed wheel cars. Skins, thanks to the historical add-on patch released, do perfectly recreate the liveries of all the vehicles, one by one, with incredible detail. Finally yet importantly, sounds are astonishing, with the deep growl of these gigantic engines represented truthfully.

Specific talent files are also supplied to provide both a generic list of drivers entries, with the most notorious obviously included, and a specific one for each event, where AI drivers recreate the race as it really happened during the season. The former option for those who want to race an entire championship and enjoy it as it unfolds with consistent opponents, the latter meant for those who want to relive the scenario as if they were there, maybe changing the outcome of the race.

Lola.jpg

Physics is also an important aspect, as for any simracing title or mod, with every car posing a different challenge. Racing in a McLaren is somewhat easier than with the rest of the cars, but you are going to face some tough competition from both the privateers and the works team. The Lola and the Shadow are the obvious pursuers, with the “white elephant” being the quicker of the two and maybe the more enjoyable too. The Ferrari is the underdog, but with some good practice, it can compete for the podium without much trouble, while the Porsche is just out of pace. The work and profound improvement, fruit of Penske and Donohue’s work on the Stuttgart racer, is after all yet to come in 1971.

Racing this mod is just so much fun. These lightweight cars, stocked with 6 to 8 litres engines, on twisty narrow tracks, are a thrill. You cannot stop smiling, while you are holding on for dear life with every bit of rubber left in your tires for every inch of track still available. Taming and mastering these beasts is stressful, to say the least, yet incredibly satisfying when done right. Racing the AI is remarkably immersive, with drivers like Stewart, Hulme, Revson, Adamowicz, Andretti, and Posey going all in with no regrets. Being along such legends, even if they are just their virtual counterpart, leaves you speechless. The track atmosphere does all the rest.

Can-Am might be no more, at least as it used to be. These cars might be no more. Drivers, champions, legends like these might not be seen on a racetrack all together anymore; but thank heavens for simracing, for it allows you to travel back in time and be too part of it.

Shadow.jpg

Like what you see at RaceDepartment? Follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Tried this Mod a year ago , and was also stunned how good the physics and especially the FFB where. But not easy to find any to drive with now a days in this ageing game ( rfactor ).

Still have it on my hard drive tho --if it should happen..

The version I tried was the @Richard Wilks version :thumbsup:.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 95 91.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 17 16.3%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 36 34.6%