Getting started?

Shovas

Premium
EDIT: I've started a GTR2 blog post with details I've been compiling about getting started with GTR2 in 2017. I'll be updating the post as I come across new things.

I have the Steam version of GTR2 and I've got the patch to re-enable Ferrari and Porsche but I know there's a lot of cars, tracks, ai updates, graphics improvements, and other content to be gotten.

I know about the GTR2 Essentials, which is brilliant, but if you were to give a new user a top 10 say of where to start with GTR2 in 2017, what would it be?

I'm thinking do I need a particular graphics mod? Do I need to improve the AI? Physics mods? What's the best settings for FFB?

Thanks, appreciated

Last edited:
I have the Steam version of GTR2 and I've got the patch to re-enable Ferrari and Porsche but I know there's a lot of cars, tracks, ai updates, graphics improvements, and other content to be gotten.

I know about the GTR2 Essentials, which is brilliant, but if you were to give a new user a top 10 say of where to start with GTR2 in 2017, what would it be?

I'm thinking do I need a particular graphics mod? Do I need to improve the AI? Physics mods? What's the best settings for FFB?

Thanks, appreciated

Before car and track addon and excluding Reshade/SweetFX
I can't think of anything else outside of HQ Collection\GTR2 Essentials

1. GTR2 UI MOD
2. GTR2 REBORN
3. Track update for GTR2 Original Tracks
4. HQ AI v2.0
5. XD v2.1.16
6. NEW GFX FILE v1.60
7. HQ RAIN v9.0
8. HDR SKIES v3.0
9. GTR2 HQ CARS & TRACKS 10TH ANNIVERSARY v7.0
10. GTR2 MULTI-PATCHES v10.0

P.S. Tip from syhlif32 @ NoGrip

You only need 2/3 files to patch GTR2 Steam all other files are already present

NOCD
net.dll
net_dedicated.dll ( for online )

You can install the DD Patch to a temp folder and extract the dlls
Installing the full DD patch is know to cause more flickering in Steam version

Last edited:
Excellent, thank you for the detailed reply. I've so far gone through the HQ Mods Collection and it certainly makes a big difference versus a stock install. I'll be trying out your other recommendations, shortly.

I hope to find some FFB mods, as well, I feel there's some work to be done there to bring it up to par.

Excellent, thank you for the detailed reply. I've so far gone through the HQ Mods Collection and it certainly makes a big difference versus a stock install. I'll be trying out your other recommendations, shortly.

I hope to find some FFB mods, as well, I feel there's some work to be done there to bring it up to par.

Unfortunately you won't find any FFB mods out there for GTR2 as it doesn't work with plugins like later gmotor based titles. This means no RealFeel or anything like that.

Fortunately though, the stock FFB system is still pretty good for a game released over a decade ago, and you can get surprisingly realistic feedback by making some tweaks to your .PLR file. Here is a guide explaining what all of the parameters do and how to adjust them:

http://simracing.wikia.com/wiki/Force_Feedback_Tweaking_Guide_for_Simbin_Games
http://simracing.wikia.com/wiki/Force_Feedback_Tweaking_Guide_for_Simbin_Games
I've been racing GTR2 and rFactor from the beginning and know them inside and out so let me know if you have any questions as to how you'd like your FFB to feel and I'll do my best to assist.

I've been racing GTR2 and rFactor from the beginning and know them inside and out so let me know if you have any questions as to how you'd like your FFB to feel and I'll do my best to assist.
I'm using an Accuforce and I know I won't be able to achieve modern levels of FFB but I'm interested in what settings you change to achieve a better road feel and maybe less oscillation?

If anyone's interested, I've started a GTR2 blog post including details about getting started that I find valuable as a new user. I'll be updating it as I come across new things.

Great idea, thanks for sharing! With the recent resurgence in popularity of GTR2 it's been tough getting answers for new players as most of the old resources (i.e. RaceSimCentral) are long gone. Luckily NoGripRacing is still around with a huge backlog of very helpful GTR2 threads, but it can be a bit of a nightmare trying to trawl through all of it.

I'm using an Accuforce and I know I won't be able to achieve modern levels of FFB but I'm interested in what settings you change to achieve a better road feel and maybe less oscillation?

Oscillation is definitely a problem in GTR2, especially with modern high end wheels that have little to no internal friction to dampen it. I would recommend decreasing the "FFB steer force exponent" value in your PLR file. It's a tricky parameter to explain but you can kind of think of it as being similar to the "MaxForceAtSteeringRack" parameter in Automobilista's RealFeel.ini.

The LOWER the value (default is 0.75000 I believe) will STIFFEN the wheel. You will unfortunately, as a side effect, lower the overall range of FFB output and possibly introduce clipping but it should still feel ok on a wheel as strong as your Accuforce.

You can also introduce some canned friction with the "FFB steer friction saturation" and "FFB steer friction coefficient" values as well. This works surprisingly well at reducing oscillations but I would recommend against going too high with these or it will mask the subtleties of the FFB.

Almost forgot to mention, the Caster settings on all of the default setups in GTR2 is super low. The 550 I believe is like 2 degrees (or whichever unit Caster is measured in) baseline, bumping this up to a more reasonable 4 or 5 'units of caster' will noticeably reduce wheel oscillation and stiffen up the steering feel overall.

Just started playing GTR2 again since I got a DFGT wheel and using Stephen O'Sullivan's setup for it, love this game, so many cars and tracks. I used to go to Calder Park near where I lived in Melbourne and they even have this track, it's awesome.

Oscillation is definitely a problem in GTR2, especially with modern high end wheels that have little to no internal friction to dampen it. I would recommend decreasing the "FFB steer force exponent" value in your PLR file. It's a tricky parameter to explain but you can kind of think of it as being similar to the "MaxForceAtSteeringRack" parameter in Automobilista's RealFeel.ini.

The LOWER the value (default is 0.75000 I believe) will STIFFEN the wheel. You will unfortunately, as a side effect, lower the overall range of FFB output and possibly introduce clipping but it should still feel ok on a wheel as strong as your Accuforce.

I tried this and it introduced what I call micro-oscillation as opposed to macro-oscillation (what I also call 'boat sway' feeling). So I'm trying to get rid of boat sway and that setting does help but it introduces quite a bit of micro-oscillation which I suppose is better but feels distracting.

You can also introduce some canned friction with the "FFB steer friction saturation" and "FFB steer friction coefficient" values as well. This works surprisingly well at reducing oscillations but I would recommend against going too high with these or it will mask the subtleties of the FFB.

I'll see about trying these.

I'm also adjusting my "FFB steer force average weight" which, from an earlier post recommended 0.28 around 60fps, but I'm now finding out that makes the ffb feel "late" whereas if I go to 1.0 it feels immediate although not realistic in how jolty it is.

I'm starting to have a really good time with GTR2. I think the key was the HQ AI mod. I was so used to them running into the back of me but if you turn up that "AI to AI Collision Rate" (seems to apply to AI to Player, too) like they suggest they really start to appear to have some smarts. I love the behaviour I'm seeing on the road from them, defending the line, swerving to either side behind me looking for an opening I guess, and being intelligent about braking where before they were quite stupid. Very nice.

There's a lot of work to be done by new users to modernize GTR2 but it's starting to feel worth it: 4GB Patch, GTR2 HQ Mods Collections, Field of View, Wheel Rotation and Wheel Lock, Force Feedback Tuning, and stuff you wouldn't think of but are now common in modern sims like non-linear brake sensitivity like iRacing, using auto-clutch with paddle shifters for smoother shifts, disabling auto-pit and ai control, GTR2 crashing because other hardware accelerated apps crash (ie. Firefox), turning up tire scrub and skid for more driving information, enhancing anti-aliasing with nvidia inspector, even rumble strips "seeming" to pull the wrong way (I'm still running with a opposite value on one of those PLR settings).

I've finally tuned some FFB settings that are very nearly what I want. It took an unbelievable amount of time and race sessions but it was worth it in the end.

The mods are just amazing, too, and they keep coming, it blows me away. So far I've officially documented the DTM Classics Mod but I would love to figure out some F1 mods and other popularly downloaded mods. It's just a little confusing figuring it all out.

PS. I'm calling GTR2 "The Poor Man's Project Cars 2" and that's a compliment :)

2. GTR2 REBORN
Is this one worth it? I tried it but I, given the documentation, it sounded like it would only affect stock cars and tracks and I'm hooked on the HQ cars and tracks now.

I also experienced a crash shortly after installing this where I had been putting in session after session for a couple of hours without a crash before it so it has me worried.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 7.8%