1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming and antivirussoftware / firewall

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Onno Naber, May 5, 2010.

1. I am currently putting together my game pc :tongue: and I wanted to ask what antivirussoftware / firewall protection you use while gaming.(racing)

2. Just Microsoft Security Essentials, and the built in firewall.

3. Thanks m8
    Iam a bit of a noob on the whole subject of gaming and pc,(have a lot of reading up to do) so any input is appreciated

4. It's down the personal choice, I always use Norton but you'll get many people saying it's crap, the same applies to just about any other program. MS Security Essentials would be a good place to start though and if you don't like it try something else.

5. Yup, I can recommend it. It's simple, it's free, it's non-intrusive, it works. I think, I never really had malware issues.

6. Ok guys thanks for the tip,I think it's a good start for me :good:

7. Omer Said

Omer Said
    Weresloth Staff Premium Member

I suggest ESET Smart Security. Imo it's cheaper than some others and not slowes down the PC. I don't know MS Security Essentials so i can't say a thing.

Hope you setup a nice system ;)

8. agree with Ă–mer ESET Smart Securety is the best you can get it do not interfer with games, use it for years now and never had any problem with it
    what i can not say from Norton the last working pice of software they released was the norton commander back in the good ol dos days
    these MS securety essentials is just a alibi scanner its only there so you can say i have a scanner but preventing
    for anything you better get some real scanner like ESET

9. I use AVG Free 9.0. Best freeware antivirus out there!

10. Avast, free for home use, and ive had no problems with it in the past several years ive been using it.

I dont trust any microsoft stuff.

As for firewall, i used zonealarm for a bit, but have no need for it - i find firewalls cause lag.

11. Thanks for your input guys,there are a couple of good once here so thanks for the tip :good: