Game freezes

I'm playing GTR2/P&G2 with crew chief in borderless windowed mode to use simhub. I expierenced that the screen freezes while the game still runs in the background which leads to me crashing. I tried installing the 16th Anniversary patch but to no avail. I think if I go full screen it will work but then I cant use SIM Hub. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

I'm using the whole of it that way with 16th Anniv Patch also .... and no freeze at all except with graphics at full with many cars ( more than 50 modded cars ).

It will depend on 3 factors:
- your PC config
- the addition of the 4GB patch ( already used in 16th Anniv Patch ) + affinity to all cores in CC.ini file.
- NO VR in my case but just 1 3440*1440 monitor.

Last edited:
I'm using the whole of it that way with 16th Anniv Patch also .... and no freeze at all except with graphics at full with many cars ( more than 50 modded cars ).

It will depend on 3 factors:
- your PC config
- the addition of the 4GB patch ( already used in 16th Anniv Patch ) + affinity to all cores in CC.ini file.
- NO VR in my case but just 1 3440*1440 monitor.
THX! I thought with crew chief you don't have to set the core affinity anymore. I usually set it on four cores with bill2s process manager because I heard that GTR2 don't like it when you run it on more than four cores. I'm afraid to run it in borderless because it messed up a race after 2 hours :/

I had the problem once .... but it only happens with heavy mods or too many cars.
Driving on Spa 60 AI for 2 hours with original cars HQ didn't make this problem .... while 40 modded Group C cars on Le Mans 1979 created a freeze.

The solution in this case: don't drive too long without pausing after +- 45 or even 30 minutes and saving, quitting GTR2 and restarting it to continue driving.

I think that the whole bunch with Simhub is asking many many resources of the PC.

Last edited:
I had the problem once .... but it only happens with heavy mods or too many cars.
Driving on Spa 60 AI for 2 hours with original cars HQ didn't make this problem .... while 40 modded Group C cars on Le Mans 1979 created a freeze.

The solution in this case: don't drive too long without pausing after +- 45 or even 30 minutes and saving, quitting GTR2 and restarting it to continue driving.

I think that the whole bunch with Simhub is asking many many resources of the PC.
Ok. GTR2 was my go to sim for long races with huge grids. I never had a problem before. I had a great install of P&G3 with an older version of the Anniversary mod which included a great HUD ( I thought it was called XD, It's not included in the new HQ Patch). In the 3 years I used It it never crashed. Last week I deleted it to get a fresh install with all new gimmicks, because I heard how much crew chief enhances this game. Since then I had a lot of trouble.

@Flual, you don't need to set affinity - CCGEP takes care of that by default by enabling full affinity. What plugin version are you on?

I am not aware of my plugin introducing freezes, but depending on what plugin features you enable, game may demand more CPU resources. Perhaps you are running out of memory, plugin has settings that may help with that. Which features are multithreaded and how to enable memory optimizations is all explained in the plugin manual.

And yes, Jempy is right - 4Gb patch is a must.

Last edited:
@Flual, you don't need to set affinity - CCGEP takes care of that by default by enabling full affinity. What plugin version are you on?

I am not aware of my plugin introducing freezes, but depending on what plugin features you enable, game may demand more CPU resources. Perhaps you are running out of memory, plugin has settings that may help with that. Which features are multithreaded and how to enable memory optimizations is all explained in the plugin manual.

And yes, Jempy is right - 4Gb patch is a must.
The man himself ;) Yeah I'm reading the manual right now. I really hope that I get this issue sorted out. My PC should be more than capable to run the game pluss the new gimmicks.
I'm running the most recent plugin with the H-shifter damage and rev matching enabled, (which is great by the way. Should be stock in every sim). I will monitor my recources while I'm racing today. I really suspect that it has somesthing to to with the borderless window.

FWIW I never run full screen and no problems. But I do not use SimHub overlays, only ShakeIt. Really make sure 4Gb patch is enabled, and if huge grids are used, read about memory optimizations.

Glad to see someone using enhancements :) I am in process of setting up DTM 91 grid here, and will be H-Shifting too :)

Last edited:
FWIW I never run full screen and no problems. But I do not use SimHub overlays, only ShakeIt. Really make sure 4Gb patch is enabled, and if huge grids are used, read about memory optimizations.

Glad to see someone using enhancements :) I am in process of setting up DTM 91 grid here, and will be H-Shifting too :)
Its a ton of fun but sometimes also a little frustrating. Lost fourth gear in the first rounds because of a misshift. :D
I just found the memory usage optimization option. Maybe this will help.

BTW guys, in case you didn't know, after killing two gears car is gonna stop :D DNF reason - Gearbox. And, folks with tactile transducers - SimHub gear grinding (MISSED GEAR effect) works perfectly with my plugin, see manual on how to configure it.

Last edited:
Already done as it already existed before but the dangerous gearbox was added as spiced stress :roflmao:
if you race modern open wheelers, also check antistall - it is very annoying. And I just made it possible to add antistall indicator. Here's demo of both RPM indicator and Antistall led (red blinker):

This year my plan is to try to make flat spots/dirt pickup/tire wear visible. However, I need modeling/textures help - if anyone cares about open wheelers and wants to help, please PM me.

Last edited:
Ok I just did a 90 minute race with the memory usage optimisation active and it worked. I deactivated the tire dirt pickup though ( not on purpose I just forgot to activate it)
I monitored my GPU,CPU and RAM and they were stable throughout the race.(62 PnG Cars on Stock Spa 2003 Day and Night with the 16th Aniversary Mod and pretty much all eyecandy activated)
I hope the freezing is now gone.

Ok I just did a 90 minute race with the memory usage optimisation active and it worked. I deactivated the tire dirt pickup though ( not on purpose I just forgot to activate it)
I monitored my GPU,CPU and RAM and they were stable throughout the race.(62 PnG Cars on Stock Spa 2003 Day and Night with the 16th Aniversary Mod and pretty much all eyecandy activated)
I hope the freezing is now gone.
You still did not answer one thing - did you enable 4Gb patch? CD and Steam GTR2 are quite different, but I never seen freezes in 2D (in VR they are possible, I am working on a fix in Beta). Forgetting 4Gb patch could cause problems. Make sure you patch your .exe, and, have fun!

Dirt pickup is not a multithreaded feature, it cannot cause freezes.

PS: if you took GTR2.exe from HQ patch you are good - it is 4Gb patched :)

Last edited:
You still did not answer one thing - did you enable 4Gb patch? CD and Steam GTR2 are quite different, but I never seen freezes in 2D (in VR they are possible, I am working on a fix in Beta). Forgetting 4Gb patch could cause problems. Make sure you patch your .exe, and, have fun!

The .exe is from the HQ Patch so it should be good.

My last question, because I'm now unsure: Is there a way to check if my .exe is 4GB patched?
I mean installed the HQ patch on a fresh copy of gtr2, so I should be good, but I wanna be 100% sure

My last question, because I'm now unsure: Is there a way to check if my .exe is 4GB patched?
I mean installed the HQ patch on a fresh copy of gtr2, so I should be good, but I wanna be 100% su/

You can check using CFF explorer, I believe manual contains video link someone made how to use it. I'll probably add a check and print message to CC log some day.

BTW, 4Gb patch does nothing on 32bit OS, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Forum trophies