G29 to MOZA Racing R5 Step Up?

Jarrod Crossley

Rubbin Racer!
So Currentley I own a Logitech G29 Kind of happy whith it as it is where am back at after an extremely long hiatus.
Now MOZA Racing are pushing out the R5 Racing Bundle (sitting @ £569). I have seen a a few reviews and by the most part it seems a pretty big leap from the G29. I have seen few reviews say the Brake pedal in its current state is its biggest let down. But MOZA have now addressed this with a Brake Mod.

Or do we push the envelope & go With the R9 & SR-P pedal set (Custom Bundle @£982.61)

Now yes this is all down to personal choice & good old budget, But I hoping someone at RD has allready got the R5 or the R9 & give me thier opinion of these item so a can make a more informed decision.

Thank you for your input...

So Currentley I own a Logitech G29 Kind of happy whith it as it is where am back at after an extremely long hiatus.
Now MOZA Racing are pushing out the R5 Racing Bundle (sitting @ £569). I have seen a a few reviews and by the most part it seems a pretty big leap from the G29. I have seen few reviews say the Brake pedal in its current state is its biggest let down. But MOZA have now addressed this with a Brake Mod.

Or do we push the envelope & go With the R9 & SR-P pedal set (Custom Bundle @£982.61)

Now yes this is all down to personal choice & good old budget, But I hoping someone at RD has allready got the R5 or the R9 & give me thier opinion of these item so a can make a more informed decision.

Thank you for your input...
Hey Jarrod,

I pushed the same "buy" button and recently got my new Moza Racing R5 Bundle. The DD base and wheel are good.

The brake pedal is very poor (I'm being kind using the word poor) and is likely the way that the manufacturer got the price down to the current level. Not much we can do about that. Looking at the pictures of the "Brake Mod" I see no real advantage other than a bit more pedal pressure required.

To solve this problem I plugged my Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals back in to a USB port on the computer and they work just fine.

Now I just have to find a way to map the wheel buttons for choices different than what is offered by Assetto Corsa - probably third party software. I race vintage cars so have very little use for; Turbo Pressure, Traction Control, KERS Activation, DRS, etc.

Enjoy your new DD Wheel - I hope my recommendation as to pedals helps you.

Cheers,
March

Hey Jarrod,

I pushed the same "buy" button and recently got my new Moza Racing R5 Bundle. The DD base and wheel are good.

The brake pedal is very poor (I'm being kind using the word poor) and is likely the way that the manufacturer got the price down to the current level. Not much we can do about that. Looking at the pictures of the "Brake Mod" I see no real advantage other than a bit more pedal pressure required.

To solve this problem I plugged my Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals back in to a USB port on the computer and they work just fine.

Now I just have to find a way to map the wheel buttons for choices different than what is offered by Assetto Corsa - probably third party software. I race vintage cars so have very little use for; Turbo Pressure, Traction Control, KERS Activation, DRS, etc.

Enjoy your new DD Wheel - I hope my recommendation as to pedals helps you.

Cheers,
March
I would like to know more about your impressions of the R5 base and wheel.

Micro Center stores in the U.S. are selling the bundle for USD $499 ($100 off for Black Friday). I told a friend who needs a starter wheel to think seriously about trying it out as MC has a 30 day return policy.

The pedals aren't worth anything. I can't comment on the pedal mod but it looks pretty "Micky Mouse" in the photos (no load cell - looks like just a stronger spring).

But $499 for a direct drive wheel base and a decent wheel is a heck of a buy. He won't do any better, imho. He'll just have to find a decent load cell brake pedal elsewhere. I was worried that there would not be agreement between the R5 and my Thrustmaster Pedal Set but that is not the case.

I'm using a Win10 computer and the install went off without a hitch. The pedals show up in the standard windows "joystick" configuration gadget. So does the R5 DD Base, although I seriously would lean towards using the Pit House software for configuration.

The Pit House software works well.

If your friend has a race sim loaded on his computer (Assetto Corsa and ACC, Automobilista, F1 2020, etc, the Moza software will detect it and configure it.

All that said, a separate set of high end pedals might push the total well into the price of Moza's higher-end DD bases, Wheels and pedal sets. I didn't have to suffer that as I already owned the load cell pedals that I'm using.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 138 86.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 26 16.3%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.0%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 20 12.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 49 30.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 56 35.0%