Franchitti forced to retire from motorsport

Howard Choularton submitted a new blog post:

Franchitti forced to retire from motorsport

Target Chip Ganassi Racing (TCGR) announced today that three-time Indianapolis 500 Winner and four-time IndyCar Series Champion Dario Franchitti will be unable to continue his auto racing career. The IndyCar Series legend ends his career with 31 Indy car wins (tied for eighth on the all-time list) and 33 poles (sixth on the all-time list).

Statement from Dario Franchitti:

“Since my racing accident in Houston, I have been in the expert care of some of the leading doctors and nurses, all...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Wow, a career ending crash in the new generation Indycar. It's sad that Dario has to stop, but it's better this way than if he had been killed.

That's sad. I really always liked his column at EVO, despite that I was never interested in american racing.

First Kubica, now Dario. That's sad that such a great talents won't be racing in top series.
I only can hope that Dario will can someday make comeback into motorsport like Kubica, who just won WRC2 series winning 5 from his first 7 official starts in rally.
Hope Dario will also find something new! Best luck to you mate!

wonder how the older spec car would of faired in the same incident

nice to see him quote greg moore. about 14 years since his crash.

great driver and great all round personality

he's a great asset to indycar and will be sorely missed next year

Sad news indeed. Dario is one of my favorites, and one of the only Indy drivers worth his weight in gold. Glad he is going to stay in the sport in a consulting capacity and I am sure he will be a great asset for advise and counsel to whoever replaces him. Gods speed on Dario's recovery and all the best.

Danica is available, since she just cant seem to drive fast with fenders...:)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 6.9%