FPS game triggers FFB wheel

A truly weird issue. Posted on nogrip ages ago, no response; posted in a windows game forum, no response; posted in a tech forum, no response. Is not a system issue since has occurred in Vista and Win7 on three different computers.

Game is the old Thief 3: Deadly Shadows, plays fine on new systems (though requires a bit of tweaking for multicore). Lockpicking in the game opens a popup window with a lockpick puzzle, when done the popup window closes and you continue the game. But for me, on three different systems, this also causes my FFB wheel to slam full force left and sit there vibrating, even after the window closes. If I exit to the menu, the menu instantly scrolls to the bottom and sits there, so strongly I cannot scroll it back with mouse or arrow keys; but I found I can scroll it by pressing both throttle and brake pedals simultaneously and carefully balancing the pressure on them, so highlight "save", hit enter, then highlight "exit" and enter. Back at the desktop I unplug the wheel, the game now works fine ...but if i unplug the wheel while the game is running, whether or not it has been triggered, the game locks up solid, cannot even use the three-finger-salute, must hard shutdown and restart.

Of course I never remember to unplug the wheel before starting the game; but am at a loss as to why an FPS game would interact with an FFB wheel at all.

Any ideas why this happens? or what can be done to prevent it (other than remembering to unplug the wheel)?

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea