First Fanatec Wheel rim. Suggestions?

So i finally made the plunge into DD. My CSL DD should be here in a few weeks. While I wait I am trying to decide on which wheel rim to start with. Originally i wanted to start with the Mclaren GT2 v2, simply for the value it gives. But the more i think about it, A round wheel might be better for a starter wheel due to its versitility. I mainly drive GT3 /4 cars but i also love taking older touring cars for a spin. Especially in AMS 2 and raceroom. I enjoy Rally driving eveyr once in a while too. I never drift though. I have my eyes set on the Clubsport wheel r300 since i figure the 300mm wheel is a good in between wheel that can suit F1/Gt3 style driving and also rally/vintage cars as well. What wheel would you choose if you only could choose one for now. I also like the 320mm wheels but im afraid they might be too large for anything other than rally and vintage. But the are a bit cheaper.

Hi! I only have the csl F1 wheel, I drive everything with that.

that being said, I wish for a wheel with dual clutch and next to that a D wheel.
It really depends how much you want to spend and how much immersion you want.

So i finally made the plunge into DD. My CSL DD should be here in a few weeks. While I wait I am trying to decide on which wheel rim to start with. Originally i wanted to start with the Mclaren GT2 v2, simply for the value it gives. But the more i think about it, A round wheel might be better for a starter wheel due to its versitility. I mainly drive GT3 /4 cars but i also love taking older touring cars for a spin. Especially in AMS 2 and raceroom. I enjoy Rally driving eveyr once in a while too. I never drift though. I have my eyes set on the Clubsport wheel r300 since i figure the 300mm wheel is a good in between wheel that can suit F1/Gt3 style driving and also rally/vintage cars as well. What wheel would you choose if you only could choose one for now. I also like the 320mm wheels but im afraid they might be too large for anything other than rally and vintage. But the are a bit cheaper.
If you do go for a round wheel as your only wheel then 300mm is a good bet. Slightly larger than the ideal formula/gt3 rim (285ish imho), and slightly smaller than a standard 320mm round wheel. So it's a good middle ground.

Another option would be the flat rim v2 (270mm), which I think is a bit too small, but larger than the formula wheels, which I think are definitely too small (again, purely personal preference).

The final option is a universal hub/podium hub and add your own wheel. This is a good cheap 285mm wheel:

like the 320mm wheels but im afraid they might be too large
Depending on what you consider vintage, 320mm would be small,
but if 280mm TX diameter feels normal to you, then 320 may suffice.
Since you drive in VR, much depends on what wheel controls you use or hope to use.
For example, I hate fumbling for knobs to turn and really want 3 or 4 thumbwheels
along with clutch paddles.

Depending on what you consider vintage, 320mm would be small,
but if 280mm TX diameter feels normal to you, then 320 may suffice.
Since you drive in VR, much depends on what wheel controls you use or hope to use.
For example, I hate fumbling for knobs to turn and really want 3 or 4 thumbwheels
along with clutch paddles.
by large I meant for F1/GT style racing. Also I currently have the 599xx alcantara wheel which is 300 not 280. For some reason though. I thought this wheel was 280 up until recently. So this is another reason why i thought 320 would be too large. I thought i was coming from a 280mm wheel . So I think I would have been fine with either.

Personally I have the Mclaren GT3 V2 wheel and think it's the perfect wheel and the only one I will ever need or use , I use it for everything even rally , perfect dimensions , ergonomics and just really nice in the hands to use , I love the rubber grips ( I hate alcantara grips , wear out too quickly and doesn't take long before it looks average) the rubber grips just feel nice and I can clean them with a damp cloth , my Mclaren GT3 V1 wheel grips are still like new and I purchased that when it first came out.
I have it on my DD1 in high torque mode and don't experience any flex , feels nice and solid and has good pricing too , personally I can't justify Fanatecs other more expensive wheels when this one is so good.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back