Ferrari Boss Marchionne Passes Away Age 66

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sergio Marchionne Passes Away.jpg

Sergio Marchionne, Ferrari CEO until just last week has passed away today aged 66.

The colourful Italian, one of the more vocal supporters of Formula One has passed away today after experiencing complications following a recent shoulder operation. Marchionne was Chairman and CEO of Ferrari for several years and constantly paid close attentions to the Formula One arm of the company, regularly attending Grand Prix and becoming a key member of the Formula One Strategy Group.

In recent days the Ferrari team confirmed Marchionne would not be returning to his previous role following a deterioration in his health, announcing John Elkann would take over the role of Chairman, and Louis C Camilleri having been awarded the position of CEO.

With little known about the true seriousness of the condition suffered by Marchionne, Ferrari have today reported the Italian has passed away, with Elkann confirmed the hole in which the passing of Marchionne would leave at the iconic brand:

"Unfortunately, what we feared has come to pass. Sergio Marchionne, man and friend, is gone.

"I believe that the best way to honour his memory is to build on the legacy he left us, continuing to develop the human values of responsibility and openness of which he was the most ardent champion.

"My family and I will be forever grateful for what he has done. Our thoughts are with Manuela, and his sons Alessio and Tyler."

Formula 1 boss Chase Carey added: "We are deeply saddened by the passing of Sergio Marchionne. He was a great leader of not just Formula 1 and the automobile world, but the business world overall.

"He led with great passion, energy and insight, and inspired all around him. His contributions to Formula 1 are immeasurable. He was also a true friend to all of us and he will be deeply missed."

Marchionne has long been known to be a key fan of Sauber rookie Charles Leclerc, having spent considerable time with the young driver as the Ferrari man worked behind the scenes to broker the alliance with the Swiss outfit and Alfa Romeo. With Leclerc having a very strong opening to his Formula One career, it is thought that Marchionne was one of the strongest advocates for brining Leclerc into a Ferrari seat for 2019, something that may well be reassessed by the outfit following the change of management at the top of the company.

Marchionne is survived by wife Manuela, and his sons Alessio and Tyler. Our deepest condolences go out to the friends and family of Sergio Marchionne at this difficult time.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
As a manager Marchionne did his job very well, but unfortunally his plan was to move most of the assets of the FIAT group outside Italy in order to pay less taxes and to spend less money on workers. And it's exactly what he did.
Problem is, the FIAT group has been financed by the italians for decades. So it's easy to imagine that the guy and the FCA group aren't really popular in Italy..
Not relevant since above post was edited by Mod.

Last edited:
Hope this guys family never have to read vile dross like this. Its called business.
Except when it would be your job on stake. And “great businessmen” who are doing a thing “called business” doesn’t give a single damn thing about it.

It isn’t that strange that a lot of CEO’s and other executive leaders sharing a lot of coomon signs with psychopaths. And to lead big organisations they almost have to. To stay healthy they have to make unpopular measures. Sometimes for the worst and many times for the best

And that is where the different worlds colides. A honest worker who wants to work for his boss ‘till his retirement, and the CEO who wants to have lean and mean efficient company with minimum costs and maximum profits.

As I said to my wife when I heard the news: it’s a sad loss, but on the other hand from Italian perspective not really. He destroyed a lot of heritage, wasn’t focussed on Italian interrests and with the cross platforms and parts-sharing between the FCA group brands... A lot of peculiar design decisions were made.

When taken a look from all views, everybody is right. Both loved and hated. Sure thing that he was a great businessman transforming Fiat group from a company with a bad outlook, to a more healthy future.

RIP Marchione

Come on guys!
It's not appropriate.
We can do without these types of comments, on the day the man died.
I don't personally know of his business style but if you didn't approve, it's best not to comment...at least for today anyway.

Rest in peace. He did what he did for the good and the bad, saving FIAT and Chrysler from failure. I prefer a man who makes mistakes to a man who does nothing.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Friday

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • Saturday

Votes: 66 57.4%