(Fer)Lando Norris Outstanding For McLaren in Bahrain

Grew up in a council flat, and only had enough money to do karting because his father worked 4 (yes, 4) jobs to pay for it.

Last year I read an article about Lewis fearing he'll be the last of the working class F1 drivers. Like you've said in your post, it's foolish (and naive) to deny that money plays a significant role. It's not just in sport (cough - US college admissions scandal - cough). :whistling:

It’s is true and kudos to his Dad for that, but he also got picked up by Ron Dennis early on and i’m sure that opened some doors. So he likely did have some wealth behind him at some point?

Just shows how many kids can race F1 cars with no problems.
Imagine if his Dad wasn't worth 200 million and mates with Zak Brown we'd never of seen him in an F1 car...
How many other kids who have done karting but never had the funds could be racing in F1.....answer... LOADS!!!

Yes money talks, welcome to the real world. It’s nothing new, when racing first started it was the ones who had the money.

But like with many other sports you need talent and all that aside, Norris has it!

Anyway, think you have made your views clear on this and you’re not going to change ours so leave it be now.

It’s is true and kudos to his Dad for that, but he also got picked up by Ron Dennis early on and i’m sure that opened some doors. So he likely did have some wealth behind him at some point?
From 'the gospel': Hamilton began karting in 1993, when he was eight,[22] at the Rye House Kart Circuit[23] and quickly began winning races and Cadet class championships. Two years later, he approached McLaren Formula One team boss Ron Dennis for an autograph, and told him, "Hi. I'm Lewis Hamilton. I won the British Championship and one day I want to be racing your cars." Dennis wrote in his autograph book, "Phone me in nine years, we'll sort something out then." Hamilton drove for Martin Hines's Zip Young Guns Karting Team. By the age of 12, his driving skill was high enough that Ladbrokes took a bet, at 40/1 odds, that Hamilton would win a Formula One Grand Prix race before the age of 23; another predicted, at 150/1 odds, that he would win the World Drivers' Championship before he was 25.He progressed through to Junior Yamaha in 1997, and in 1998, Dennis called Hamilton after he won an additional Super One series and his second British championship. Dennis delivered on his promise and signed Hamilton to the McLaren driver development program.This contract included an option of a future Formula One seat, which would eventually make Hamilton the youngest ever driver to secure a contract which later resulted in a Formula One drive.

So Hamilton rose through the junior ranks and proved himself by winning championships before he got any funding from Ron Dennis. Up until then it was his Pops that funded him.

From 'the gospel': Hamilton began karting in 1993, when he was eight,[22] at the Rye House Kart Circuit[23] and quickly began winning races and Cadet class championships. Two years later, he approached McLaren Formula One team boss Ron Dennis for an autograph, and told him, "Hi. I'm Lewis Hamilton. I won the British Championship and one day I want to be racing your cars." Dennis wrote in his autograph book, "Phone me in nine years, we'll sort something out then." Hamilton drove for Martin Hines's Zip Young Guns Karting Team. By the age of 12, his driving skill was high enough that Ladbrokes took a bet, at 40/1 odds, that Hamilton would win a Formula One Grand Prix race before the age of 23; another predicted, at 150/1 odds, that he would win the World Drivers' Championship before he was 25.He progressed through to Junior Yamaha in 1997, and in 1998, Dennis called Hamilton after he won an additional Super One series and his second British championship. Dennis delivered on his promise and signed Hamilton to the McLaren driver development program.This contract included an option of a future Formula One seat, which would eventually make Hamilton the youngest ever driver to secure a contract which later resulted in a Formula One drive.

So Hamilton rose through the junior ranks and proved himself by winning championships before he got any funding from Ron Dennis. Up until then it was his Pops that funded him.

Not saying he didn’t, he surely had to prove himself first.

With or without money, determination and sacrifice is needed.

Not saying he didn’t, he surely had to prove himself first.

With or without money, determination and sacrifice is needed.

I hope his old man gets to put his feet up now too! There's some determination / parental strength in holding down those jobs taking the chance your little one has what it takes and wants it too.

Yes money talks, welcome to the real world. It’s nothing new, when racing first started it was the ones who had the money.

But like with many other sports you need talent and all that aside, Norris has it!

Anyway, think you have made your views clear on this and you’re not going to change ours so leave it be now.

He has talent...but mainly a Dad worth 200 million and mates with Zak Brown (runs McLaren F1).

The barrier for American football / baseball / basket ball / football etc isn't simply rich parents....that is all, so the talent pool is a lot better...

Imagine if his Dad wasn't worth 200 million and mates with Zak Brown we'd never of seen him in an F1 car...
How many other kids who have done karting but never had the funds could be racing in F1.....answer... LOADS!!!

I always think of most top tier racers as the best drivers who can afford to get there. I bet there's loads of missed talent that just didn't have the funds.

and the point you're promoting is?
We all know Mozart or Bach... How many composers were there who did not have funds, luck or connections to the score publishers, friends in government who could organize concerts in palaces, money to pay musicians to perform their pieces; how many were talented musicians who had no funds to get from the villages to the big cities to study in the prestigeous conservatories? Answer is LOADS!!!
Let's shame Mozart for that!

Plus if you as a kid have enough funds to do karting on a regular basis, your life is already pretty darn good!

Last edited:
and the point you're promoting is?
We all know Mozart or Bach... How many composers were there who did not have funds, luck or connections to the score publishers, friends in government who could organize concerts in palaces, money to pay musicians to perform their pieces; how many were talented musicians who had no funds to get from the villages to the big cities to study in the prestigeous conservatories? Answer is LOADS!!!
Let's shame Mozart for that!

Plus if you as a kid have enough funds to do karting on a regular basis, your life is already pretty darn good!

I don't think we can compare Lando to Mozart........ this place man....

The point i make is very simple. If Lando turns out to be the new Senna (himself from rich parents) we never would of seen that were it not for his Dads money and connections....what a shame that would of been...
Even Lewis moans about this, he has many times.....so....

If you can stop laughing long enough to read past "working class" (Lewis's Dad owned 3 business's), it's relevant...

Lewis:
"It goes to the fundamentals of how the sport is governed. There are so many aspects that are not being tackled. There are only wealthy kids coming through. There are not kids from working-class families."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44682870

To whoever disagreed with me, how can you honestly think Lando would of been able to ever showcase his talent if his Mum and Dad were 'poor'...and by poor i mean not being worth millions....
If he was born with natural talent even, he'd not be able to to be showing his skills right now...without loads and loads of money to burn through and the right connections...

Of course you're right, but that just is the way, motorsport in general, and F1 in particular has always been.
F1 always has been about the show. It is called a circus for a reason. The circus having the "best drivers in the world" is just part of the show.
If F1 were all about talent, and it being passed on from one generation to the next, as somehow magically happens in F1, we should then also see the siblings of tennis players, football players, pole jumpers, and track and field athlets following their famous mothers and fathers, and making a name for themselfs. But somehow, that just doesn't happen, at all.

The real questions should rather be, how can anyone be so innocent as to really believe in all this?
I mean, we all know, that wrestling is a show. How comes, that many people do not reckon, that F1,
for a significant part, also is a show, made to suit sponsors and audience a like.

For raw and unfiltered talent, we would have to watch an international bar exercises tournament. But bar exercises does not provide much of a show, does it?

I don't think we can compare Lando to Mozart........ this place man....
Mozart was great mind, but really nothing that special if you look at good kids in musical schools/conservatories.
He had a lot of talent, no doubt, but he also had that other part: luck, connections etc. During that Vienna Classic era, there were a lot of composers like him, but history wiped them off because he was one of the ones who had luck to publish the most scores and get the music played in concerts the most.
I should take Bach from this equation though, because he was clearly a maniac... in a good way :) (just look at how many kids he made :D)

Last edited:
If you can stop laughing long enough to read past "working class" (Lewis's Dad owned 3 business's), it's relevant...
You need to understand the context of owning 3 businesses as your interpretation is misplaced. As a contractor in the UK you're self-employed and therefore need to create a business(s). Anthony Hamilton took redundancy from his job and became a contractor so that he could work on multiple jobs at the same time. Owning 3 businesses in this context simply means he was an IT contractor doing 3 (occasionally 4) jobs to fund Lewis's karting / career.

Information on Lewis's upbringing is readily available if you do a bit of research. There was also a documentary on him some time ago.

The barrier for American football / baseball / basket ball / football etc isn't simply rich parents....that is all, so the talent pool is a lot better...
If a football cost €10,000,000 it would probably be full of rich kids too.

F1 has always been a sport for rich people. The current trend is away from that but what they want is a person who can be a product.

This could be said about almost any sport, get the best coaches etc and do well. You just come off sounding bitter and jealous tbh...

If a football cost €10,000,000 it would probably be full of rich kids too.

F1 has always been a sport for rich people. The current trend is away from that but what they want is a person who can be a product.

Amen to the product bit....correct.

You need to understand the context of owning 3 businesses as your interpretation is misplaced. As a contractor in the UK you're self-employed and therefore need to create a business(s). Anthony Hamilton took redundancy from his job and became a contractor so that he could work on multiple jobs at the same time. Owning 3 businesses in this context simply means he was an IT contractor doing 3 (occasionally 4) jobs to fund Lewis's karting / career.

Information on Lewis's upbringing is readily available if you do a bit of research. There was also a documentary on him some time ago.

Compared to Mr Stroll, Lando's Dad is working class....

there's no bottom in comparisons of unfairness.
Billions light years away there could be a civilization which will last longer because they have bigger/better territory, and bigger lifespan of their galaxy/their sun.
boooo! look at them! how dare them!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea