Fanatec Podium DD1 - Longevity?

Hello guys,

I am currently driving on a TR300 RS GT Edition and I am quite happy. Nevertheless, I am also looking on what is on the market out there and maybe buying something new in the future.

So I will buy an Next Level Racing F-GT Cockpit and also some new pedals, the fanatac V3 with the performance kit (T3PA currently). I also looked into the market of Direct Drive Wheels and stumbled over the DD1 and DD2 from fanatec.
I know that the DD2 has more power, but I also know that the DD1 is more than enough. So in the first place, I would choose the DD1 - but then I read from some people, that the DD1 had some issues about longevity and now i am concerned that I would spent more than 1k+ just that the DD1 is broken after a few years.

So I am really thinking that the longer garanty would be a selling point for me? Cause I suggest that the DD1/DD2 would be the last wheel, that I would ever need to buy.

Nevertheless, I would go first for the pedals and the racing cockpit, so I am not really in a rush.

You only ever read about the 'failed' bits of hardware in any hobby.

My DD1 was bought pre-price increase - the first wave of them before they were officially shipping I think. Bought it June 2019, and has been on most days being used. Absolutely love it.

I only got 2 years of warranty figuring that if it was going to fail it would have long done so.

Upvote 0

My DD1 was bought pre-price increase - the first wave of them before they were officially shipping I think. Bought it June 2019, and has been on most days being used. Absolutely love it.

I only got 2 years of warranty figuring that if it was going to fail it would have long done so.
i have one DD1 without any issue since my purchase :)

Ok, good to hear. I was really unsure about some comments, where people had some assumptions about the longevity of the wheel base and meant, that they heard that the DD1 is not very reliable.

But as i researched now, some things are through the "early" software caused (and not a direct hardware failure) so I will definetly look for the DD1 instead of the DD2.
I have my TR300 RS GT now for 3 or more years and it is still working, but the springs from the gear shifter might be a little bit loose now/slipped from the original. But I could fix that with dissassemblen and repositioning the springs.

Nevertheless, most people say that good pedals should be updated first over the wheel, because they are more important. So I will get the Fanatecs V3 pedals first and then look, if I really want to switch the wheel - I am still very satisfied with my T300, so yeah.

But thank you for your opionion, that put me at ease a lot!

Upvote 0

would you say the DD1 is worth the step up in price from the cls elite and clubsport? looking to start my build and would like to know if it worth just taking the plunge for the DD and nice pedels straight away?

Upvote 0
I've not tried the csl but had a csw.

Its better for sure. How much is subjective. A dd wheel is a pretty serious investment so yep if you can afford it. I went the long way.

Logitech G29
Thrustmaster T500rs
Fanatec CSW
Fanatec DD1

Similarly with all the other hardware. I'm pretty sure its cost me a packet, even selling the kit on.

Its easy to sell kit tho and you don't lose too much so that's a consideration too.

For me, I'd go dd and decent pedals. And rig (I've had six different ones over the last five years too!)

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
The DD1 comes with a 3 yr warranty. At one time time they offered an extension to 5 yr (I believe it was $200 add-on), but by the the time you did the add-on plus a "Kill-Switch" it was $50 cheaper to buy the DD2 which comes 5 yr & Kill-Switch. When I upgraded from CSW v2.5 to DD2 the difference was noticeable but not as great as when upgraded for Logitech G-29 to the v2.5. The CSP v3 are definitly worth the money and they work great , especially if you add the Performance Kit IMHO. :)

Upvote 0

Its better for sure. How much is subjective. A dd wheel is a pretty serious investment so yep if you can afford it. I went the long way.

Logitech G29
Thrustmaster T500rs
Fanatec CSW
Fanatec DD1

Similarly with all the other hardware. I'm pretty sure its cost me a packet, even selling the kit on.

Its easy to sell kit tho and you don't lose too much so that's a consideration too.

For me, I'd go dd and decent pedals. And rig (I've had six different ones over the last five years too!)

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice what pedals do you run currently be interested to see what you had. only issue i have that may force my hand is that i will probably be running an xbox set up for the first 6 months till i save up enough to get a pc that will run triple screens at 4k and future proof for the next 3 years or so, so that will probably cost me as much as the wheel and rig combined.

luckily for me i hate motion rigs so that will save me a packet.

plus i love hot lapping so will be happy to run RF2 as online racing is not my bag, yet!

Upvote 0

Logitech G29
Thrustmaster T500rs
Fanatec CSW
Fanatec DD1

Hope this helps!
The DD1 comes with a 3 yr warranty. At one time time they offered an extension to 5 yr (I believe it was $200 add-on), but by the the time you did the add-on plus a "Kill-Switch" it was $50 cheaper to buy the DD2 which comes 5 yr & Kill-Switch. When I upgraded from CSW v2.5 to DD2 the difference was noticeable but not as great as when upgraded for Logitech G-29 to the v2.5. The CSP v3 are definitly worth the money and they work great , especially if you add the Performance Kit IMHO. :)

Thank you all for your opinions. When I would upgrade my wheel, I would go straight for the DD1, I don't see any real reason to switch to the CSW 2.5 with an TR300. I will definitely upgrade the pedals from the T3PA to the Fanatec V3 (+PK), but they would work also with the DD1, so it is more than reasonable to upgrade this first.

I know that I would get more "feeling" from the CSW 2.5 but not like it would me more faster - someone also said that there is really no point to go from one belt driven wheel to another one.

Upvote 0
i have upgraded from csw 2.5 to DD1 and for me its a noticeable difference.
Its not about the max force of the base wheel but the speed and more refined force feedback you get. And its more silent too.
The improved speed of DDs will allow you to save some slides, but this come with time when you start to know the DDs force feed back.

Upvote 0
@[B]brandaopj[/B]
I agree with you that the difference (v2.5-DD1/2)is noticeable, but the difference between the two pedal sets (TPA-V3) is more so. My brother has a v2/TPA and I had Logitech G-29 (with loadcell before upgrading to (v2.5/v3). Both of us concurred that the V3 made a bigger difference in our driving (better feel/feedback), than my upgrade from v2.5 to the DD2. He currently awaiting his v3 (arriving in June).
So, I believe he is making the right choice to upgrade is pedals first. :thumbsup:
And, no doubt about it DD, when tuned is very, very nice. :)

Upvote 0
@Patata531 - have you got your DD wheel? I have lucked into a free F-GT and tempted to upgrade from CSL Elite to DD1/2 but unsure whether the F-GT will be able to handle it?

Comments from anyone else also welcome! :thumbsup:

First post here, learned lots so far. Wanted to say checkout TRL Limitless on youtube. He has the setup u are asking about and is extremely rapid. He says its sturdy but i believe he got the cockpit for free (and wheel) so maybe not fully objective.

Upvote 0
Thanks - didn't realise so will check that out. Useful first post ;-)

Edit - Had a quick look. It is the GT Track he is using that I believe is a bit more stable than the F-GT but still a good indicator...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've since read numerous reports from people with DD wheels and the F-GT. All say it is able to cope, with maybe minor flex/vibration but no show stoppers.

Looking forward to getting the freebie and will see how I go with my current CSL Elite and then make a decision. Either way, I'll end up getting a DD one day and eventually shell out for a more robust long term rig.

Upvote 0
@Patata531 - have you got your DD wheel? I have lucked into a free F-GT and tempted to upgrade from CSL Elite to DD1/2 but unsure whether the F-GT will be able to handle it?

Comments from anyone else also welcome! :thumbsup:

Here is a good video.

I don't have the pedal flex he does, but I do have mine at a different angle which could be one of the differences. I am also looking to upgrade from a T300 to an Accuforce V2 Pro. I can say the pictures do not do it justice. It is much sturdier than it looks in pictures.

Upvote 0
A tip if you have more than one rim with the DD1.
You have the new version 15 of the Z-Ring and you it installed incorrectly.
Here is the right way to install:
1615456822711.png

1615456839264.png

1615456856226.png

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 68 29.8%
  • More leagues

Votes: 47 20.6%
  • Prizes