Fanatec Hardware - opinions

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a new racing wheel/pedals combo to upgrade my semi-fossilized Logitech Driving Force Pro.

I'm currently angling toward picking up a Porsche 911 GT2 Wheel US [http://us.fanatec.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=181], ClubSport Pedals V2 US [http://us.fanatec.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=255] and a ClubSport v2 table clamp, all from Fanatec. The bill on this bundle is about $600, with shipping.

I play across platforms, mainly PC but also Xbox 360 and some PS3 once in a while, so the multi-platform support is appealing. I'm focused on Ascetto Corsa, Dirt 3, F1 2013 and GT Legends, among others on PC, and some Forza 4 on 360. I've read some good reviews on these but I'm a bit leery of professional reviews. So, I was curious if any here have these parts and can offer an opinion on quality, reliability and so on?

They'll be hooked up to 3x 1440p 27" monitors for racing games on the PC. The $600 budget is acceptable, unless there are better options for less or much better for a bit more. One reservation is I recently picked up an Xbox One with Forza 5 and obviously this setup won't be Xbox One compatible. That's probably not a deal breaker, given the PC games are better.

All relevant thoughts welcomed!

Ii think what we are all pontificating about can be summed up and answered more effectively if you can give us the absolute maximum you are willing to spend on a rig, tell us if you want a wheel and pedals or are you looking for a "rig" with race seat, monitors, computer (upgrade), and if you really consider ex-bone compatibility a necessity (really?)...
I have stated, value for money, you won't get any better than fanatec in the (high)-low to mid range wheel and pedal market (as in, up to about 600$)... Some other folks have made the case for thrustmaster as well as the ol' logitec kit (I have had all three, though the thrustmaster kit was flight sim stuff so there's that to consider...)
Beyond 600$ or so, there is stuff like ecci for around 8-?000 bucks, frex (I have frex hydraulic pedals), Derek spheres, arc, Leo, hpp, tsw, and others which offer different solutions to the same functionality....

Agree with most all of what you said except I would argue that as a package, I think that the Thrustmaster T500RS and TH8RS set competes as well with anything Fanatec has to offer, I would probably give the edge to Fanatec in the $200-400 market but the G27 still provides pretty strong value there to and most people love their G27's. Arguably Fanatec's CSP v2's are slightly superior in features to the T500 pedals but Fanatec's reliability just seems to fall a bit short of Thrustmasters so you have to weigh that as well. I seem to read the same comments over and over in regards to Fanatec products, when they work, they're great products. The orginal T500 pedals, v1 and v2 with the torsion springs had some issues but the later models with compression springs have not. I still read reports of Fanatec CSP v2 load cells and hall sensors dying within a year. Fanatec even sells those two specific parts on their website so that tells me they know how frequently they stop working. I don't mind replacing parts like that after a few years of use but within a year and some have even reported within 2-3 months is a bit excessive.

Upvote 0
The G25/G27 value can't be beat IMO, but the ThrustMaster T500 RS certainly seems to meet or exceed most people's needs at a higher price point. The Fanatec CSW is certainly constructed better but, performance may be a matter of preference depending on gaming style. Fanatec reliability is certainly a concern over the long haul so may be best left to those with good practical repair/modding skills. Ultimately, a servo-motor driven wheel will provide the best FFB and reliability but, at a much higher cost.

Upvote 0
I think my G25 may be giving up the ghost as it's behaving erratically so i am looking at Fanatec products. I can't afford a Clubsport unfortunately so i have instead been looking at the GT3 RS V2 and the Forza branded CSR.
I will for the time being use my G25 pedals as i quite like them and the GT3 comes with an adapter if needs be.

I prefer the look of the GT3 (alacantara mmmmmm) but the CSR has lots of buttons and that little analogue stick :roflmao:

There is not a lot in the price which is why i thought i would ask...
What would you guys recommend of the 2? Gaming on Xbox doesn't come into it so no need to factor that in.
I play purely on PC (AC, RRRE, Race 07 etc).

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back