Wanted Fanatec F1 v2 wheel or Mclaren

ColinMac

Premium
Hi

I'm on the lookout for a F1 V2 wheel or perhaps a V2 McLaren with the metal QR, to replace my failing F1 carbon. One button on mine no longer clicks and sometimes it won't enable hi-torque mode on my DD1 any more. Other times, it does.

Anyone ?

Col.

I have this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220413-201505_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220413-201505_Facebook.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 80
Hi

I'm on the lookout for a F1 V2 wheel or perhaps a V2 McLaren with the metal QR, to replace my failing F1 carbon. One button on mine no longer clicks and sometimes it won't enable hi-torque mode on my DD1 any more. Other times, it does.

Anyone ?

Col.
If it's only the button and the high-torque, it should be quite easy to fix.
Mail fanatec a request for that button and they should send you one.
It's a very easy soldering job since a button only has 2 pins normally.

High torque mode, from my engineering knowledge, should be either a little push pin on the shaft of your wheelbase, where the metal QR clicks in.
The "old" F1 carbon shouldn't have anything on its chip that tells the wheelbase what QR is on it.

So maybe there's simply some dirt on your wheelbase shaft or the QR is a bit loose?

Thanks for the suggestions. I did use some switch contact cleaner on the pins and the QR side, and it does seem to have settled down and be allowing Hi-Torque.

That button tho is a problem I did think I could swap a couple of buttons around on the wheel but my soldering skills aren't up to it I think - it's very fine points, and I'd make a hash of it. I'm not going to scrap it though - I love the wheel and had fitted carbon SRS magnetic shifters, so for now it's staying.

I did think I could pick up a McLaren wheel but of course most of them have the QR1 Lite, which defeats the purpose, and I'm slightly nervous that the wheel won't be such good quality lol as the carbon F1.

I'll hang in there some more meantime and watch for bargains.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did use some switch contact cleaner on the pins and the QR side, and it does seem to have settled down and be allowing Hi-Torque.

That button tho is a problem I did think I could swap a couple of buttons around on the wheel but my soldering skills aren't up to it I think - it's very fine points, and I'd make a hash of it. I'm not going to scrap it though - I love the wheel and had fitted carbon SRS magnetic shifters, so for now it's staying.

I did think I could pick up a McLaren wheel but of course most of them have the QR1 Lite, which defeats the purpose, and I'm slightly nervous that the wheel won't be such good quality lol as the carbon F1.

I'll hang in there some more meantime and watch for bargains.
I had an F1 carbon for a month and the quality is definitely a step above the McLaren!
It's metal, the buttons are tight, metal QR.
It was too small for me though, so I sold it.

The McLaren has better ergonomics, being the 1:1 replica of the real wheel.
But it's full plastic, buttons make rattle noises when you shake the wheel etc.

The shifters are a mixed bag. V1 was pretty awful and I had to get it repaired due to the known flaws (missing shifts and buttons).
Sold it and got the V2 when it came out.
Shifters are quite good but still nowhere near some srs magnetic paddles.
And the qr lite has some little play on my csw 2.5... I tested a csl DD and it had a lot of play.. Not great to be honest.
On the csw it's ok due to the rubber ring on the shaft. The csl DD doesn't have that, so it's clunky...

So yeah, I'm happy to hear that you got the high-torque mode back to work and will keep your rim!

Maybe you can find some electronics repair shop near you?
If you take the wheel apart for them, it shouldn't cost much I'd guess!

Thanks for feedback. I'll hang off the mclaren then ! I did suspect it might be a little 'lite' due to the price as much as anything.

Thanks for feedback. I'll hang off the mclaren then ! I did suspect it might be a little 'lite' due to the price as much as anything.
Yeah it's a shame and you can often read that people wish for a clubsport 30cm GT wheel. Or simply a carbon/metal version of the McLaren rim for 400€.
No one outside of fanatec understands why they don't fill that big market gap between the McLaren and the now new BMW "real" wheel...

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Prizes

• Trophies

• Forum trophies

Votes: 0 0.0%