Fanatec DD1 quick release flex issue

Guys, I'm considering getting the DD1 to replace my Elite base, but am baulking at the flex issue that I see as a recurring comment that accompanies quite a few posts and reviews. One of the reasons for wanting to replace the Elite is the side to side slop that the wheel has, which is clearly not something you see on a real car.

So I know that products do evolve with time in response to criticisms from users and feedback from reviewers, so want to know if the later models of this continue to display the flex. I saw one post suggesting a conical delrin insert to replace the original rubber, is this something that has been adopted?

In the current climate I am unable to go anywhere where one of these units can be tested, so I am entirely reliant on reviews and feedback so would appreciate any news from anyone who has purchased one recently

Cheers

Les

Ive a DD1. I would honestly say that using either of my two wheels (I have a GT rim with a universal hub, and a f1 style carbon wheel) there is almost zero flex. Any flex in the GT rim is actually the wheel bending !

I have printed a 3d z-ring which has effectively removed the play in the QR - which didn't on my rig give flex - and any pulling and pushing on my wheels results in the entire simlab rim wheel deck moving slightly - the alu still has the tiniest flex.

So I'd say you can safely buy one up.

I love mine.

Upvote 0
Thanks, that's helpful, but if I could just ask for some clarification - the Z ring adapter is something I did see in the searches, was there a reason that you decided to use it? Was there some residual play present, or was there another reason?

I'm in no hurry to upgrade as my rig is currently living its life as a three quarter built A10-C cockpit for DCS World and I really need to finish that before spending anything on new racing gear, but also want to know if there are any rumours of an upgraded version of the DD1 that has improvements incorporated. If the flex is being addressed I would consider waiting for it

Cheers

Les

Upvote 0
No rumours of improvements that I've heard. THB, despite what you may have read, I dont think it needs any.

Great drivers (now). Hardware is super solid. No heat, no fuss.

I used the zring really because I was curious and wondered if over time the expanding rubber bit would be less effective. Using the ring did that and its easy to tighten now and never moves until I swap wheels.

Upvote 0
I have a DD1 with a Podium R300 and a Formula V2 wheel. If I stop a game and try to make the wheel rock by pushing on the left and right side of the wheel there is what I consider a slight rocking motion. The only reason I have noticed this is by watching youtube reviews and drawing my attention to performing this "test". I never would have noticed this if I were just using the wheel for a driving game. I have no concerns at all regarding this "issue".

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies guys, certainly looks like it is worth it.

You also commented on one of my other doubts about Fanatec stuff, that of the software supporting it. In the past, while I lauded the hardware, I found myself at odds with it for the simple expedient of the use of the wheel controls to change the settings. I know that for a lot of people this was good, and that it allowed in-game changes to be made. But for me I found it unintuitive, irritating and sometimes downright confusing. I ended up having to print out a load of the sheets to show me the procedure and what the individual settings meant as without them I had no idea what I was doing.

I had even written something on here in a post lambasting Fanatec for not having an on screen set up program that enabled me to change my settings in an easily understood way with visual representations of what the settings were all together - you know, like all the other manufacturers do. It got to the point where I had decided that I would no longer buy any more Fanatec stuff as a result, despite owning quite a bit of their stuff.

Thankfully they appear to have given in to logic, removing that particular block. As far as I can tell, with the DD series at least you can set profiles up for the different games and cars and launch directly into those games from their app, which is an appreciated step by me

Cheers

Les

Upvote 0
I own a DD1 with a Porche RSR 918 rim.

I have absolutely zero flex even if I try to create it.

I also upgraded from a CSL Elite and I don't regret a single cent.

I really enjoy my DD1!

Upvote 0
DD1 PS4 version here, and have noticed zero flex with a variety of wheels - Formula V2 that came with the base, Universal Hub with two different rims, and now the McLaren GT3 rim. Flex was one of my major concerns as well prior to purchasing the DD1 but happy to say it hasn't been an issue at all. I think some of the videos of the quick release flex have been exaggerated a bit. Either quality control is hit or miss, has improved recently, or the issue was exaggerated to begin with. Not sure which side of the fence I fall on that.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea