Fanatec DD1 "clonks"

I have a Fanatec DD1 and I have been mostly satisfied with it. The steering feels really good (with AMS2, AC, DR 2.0). You can really feel the tyre getting grip from sand in DR, driving Opel Kadett in Poland, it feels superb. The only thing that surprises me is the occasional feeling of a bump from the steering. Are there drivers here who occasionally get a faint "clonk" feeling through the wheel? Especially when driving AMS2, it sometimes comes when the center of gravity of the car shifts from side to side and at the same time turns into a tight bend. These sensations do not come very often, nor in the same place with the same car. I have been wondering it the simulator programs give such signals that the Fanatec driver occasionally interprets them in such a way that the wheel needs to be bumped? Is this a mechanical move, or does this come through the Fanatec driver after all? Somehow it feels like AMS2 would give more "clonks". I'm not quite sure if AssettoCorsa gives as many these feelings.

My steering wheel is very tightly fastened. I have checked all the mounting screws that are visible inside the stem with a torque wrench. A locking screw is also attached. This way, at least, the steering wheel should not move at all relative to the shaft. Driver is updated, too. Does anyone else have the same thoughts? Has someone got rid of this problem?

I would appreciate it a lot if I get any tips on how to get the "clonks" out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. But update to what version? I should have the newest one already. (439). I did install it and there are no updates available when checked. There's no solution to this, we have to live with it? So, it is a driver related issue then and nothing mechanical? PS: Go Kimi :thumbsup:!

Ah ok, are u on latest driver?

I'm on 439. So there is a release candidate, which helps with this issue? I did not know that, I usually go with official drivers. Thanks for the link, I most certainly will look in to it. Much appreciated! :thumbsup: And I'm sorry for my typos. Should have been "it feels like a knock..."

Last edited:
Csldd not covered yet, some updates but more incoming, I’d book mark that link and check frequently but the podium users waited a long time for this fix so who knows when. I’d still take the latest rc driver for csldd all the same. That’s what I was running before I sold it.

Hi, I have updated the driver 447 and the new firmware came available as a result of that, so I updated it too. I think that this problem is non-existent now. If I can remenber my previous AI races with AMS2 correctly, I did not experience those clocks or jolts. Driving feel is excellent now!

I'm not sure if the OP is describing the same symptom, but I had an audible metallic 'click' when turning my DD1 (with Porsche GT3R rim) under load. It was loud enough to be heard over loud engines and was incredibly annoying, as it sounded like something was snagging, or loose. All fixings in the rim were torqued up nicely though, so I assumed it was something internal in the DD1 base.
Anyway, long story short, I eventually tracked the click down to the Podium QR mechanism and after some experimentation managed to mitigate the noise by inserting the QR retaining pin, and then totally eliminated the noise by adding some o-rings to the pin so that the u-shaped cutout in the QR collar nestles snugly against the pin. No idea why this works, but it does. Some insulation tape or shrinkwrap around the pin would probably do the same job. Just remember to retract the spring-loaded collar when inserting (and tightening) the pin before letting it spring shut over the newly-padded pin. I'm fortunate in that I only use one wheel rim, so if you chop and change frequently it might be a bit of a pain in the ass. But it's bloody nice not hearing that metallic click any more.
Hope this helps someone else out there with the same issue.

20220927_205538.jpg 20220927_211907.jpg 20220927_211921.jpg

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea