1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

F1 - Porsche considers return in 2013

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Bram, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Porsche is considering a return to Formula 1. The German premium sports car brand is set to make it's return in 2013 with a team running under the Porsche name, claims RTL GP

Porsche was involved in the pinnacle of motorsports from 1958 to 1964. It took two decades before Porsche was again active, but only as an engine supplier by the name TAG. Niki Lauda (1984) and Alain Prost (1985 and 1986) with a TAG engine won world titles forr McLaren. Porsche stopped after the 1991 season with Formula 1.

McLaren_TAG_Porsche_F1.jpg
    McLaren MP4/2 Formula One car, powered by a TAG-Porsche engine
    (picture courtesy of Wikipedia)

2. This is great news! Lets hope we will see a propper Porsche TEAM as it sounds at the minute, rather than just them supplying engines as before! :cool:

3. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff Premium Member

cool news. I predict 'Porsche Sauber Racing' :)

4. I would love to see Porshe engines in the Sauber. Not too sure if Ferrari would be too pleased, as Sauber for as long as I can remember, have run Ferrari engines when BMW didn't own them. Porsche V Ferrari in F1, unfortunatly, not a works porsche, but hey, Torro Rosso use Ferrari engines, so it'll be Ferrari B vs Porsche B.

5. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

They will have their own team according to the source. So not only an engine supplier.

6. I think it would be awesome, if Porsche returned to the sport, but 2013 is still a long ways away and a lot can happen til then. So, I won't hold my breath.

7. I think that taking two years to get ready, sounds like a reasonable timeframe, look at the others that rushed to be non-starters!