• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Featured F1 Half Term Report: Rate the Grid - Jolyon Palmer

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 1, 2017.

1. 10

6 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. 7

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. 6

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. 5

21 vote(s)
    6.6%
  7. 4

26 vote(s)
    8.1%
  8. 3

58 vote(s)
    18.1%
  9. 2

81 vote(s)
    25.3%
  10. 1

116 vote(s)
    36.3%
  1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +11,473
    Rate the Grid - Jolyon Palmer .jpg
    Renault driver and former GP2 champion Jolyon Palmer is the next driver in line for our mid season community rating feature.

Half way through his second season of Formula One racing for the works Renault team, Palmer has so far found himself firmly in the shadow of his more experience team mate.

Under pressure to retain his drive pretty much from the opening day of the season, Palmer has struggled in 2017 to loosen up his driving and show the world just what the Englishman is capable of. Allowing unfortunate and often expensive mistakes to creep into his race weekends, Palmer seems to be spending more time in the wall than actually racing wheel to wheel this year.

Still to score points in 2017, despite Hulkenberg having an impressive 26 to his name, Palmer has rarely shown anything like the performances displayed during his formative years in the sport.

With fan favourite Robert Kubica quietly waiting in the wings, Palmer needs to up his game in the second half of the season, or risk finding himself without a seat at the table in 2018.

Vote now to tell us how you rate the first half of 2017 for Marcus Ericsson, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Jolyon Palmer 1.jpg Jolyon Palmer 2.jpg Jolyon Palmer 3.jpg

2. Lorenzo Bonder

Lorenzo Bonder
    Wah wah. Premium

Ratings:
    +1,796
    Can't see a 0 rating here (or anything less than zero).

I abstain from voting.

Have a good day.

• Haha Haha x 17
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  3. Lazarou

Lazarou
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,014
    Although he is not a elite F1 driver by any means, I think it is easy to bash Palmer without always knowing all the facts, I am no apologist for him and would love to see Kubica take his drive but that does not mean he is a bad driver. His results suggest he is at least consistent, in the recent past due to reliability some of those 11 & 12 places would have been points but such is the reliability of modern F1 the top 10 is a tough nut to crack for a middling F1 driver in a middling F1 team.

He beat 'Suck My Balls' Kmag last year in the latter half.

AUS Ret
    CHN 13
    BHR 13
    RUS Ret
    ESP 15
    MON 11
    CAN 11
    AZE Ret
    AUT 11
    GBR DNS
    HUN 12

In conclusion he is not as bad as the hater's suggest but he is not a elite driver either. Personally I have heard and it does come across that his attitude and demeanour does not help either within the team and engaging with fans. So he will never be someone to get behind, but he is still a very good driver who has come up against a driver like Hulkenburg and been found wanting when racing against the top drivers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Tim Ling

Tim Ling
    It's a million-to-1 chance, but it just might work Premium

Ratings:
    +1,001
    He will be gone next year, and Kubica will be gracing the tracks again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Haha Haha x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  5. prun

prun

Ratings:
    +0
    palmer is not good as nico bath hi si not bad as you think :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  6. bastoner97

bastoner97

Ratings:
    +468
    One second off the pace every qualfying, on Sunday when they let hulk pass he lost almost 7 seconds in 10 laps. Embarrassing, but I hope that he can turn back criticism and make a strong second part of the season, as last year

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu
    Premium

Ratings:
    +635
    He cannot even take comfort in comparing with Stroll, as he is not only struggling but unlucky as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sky

Sky

Ratings:
    +139
    i like to pronounce it 'jolly-on'. that is all.

• Haha Haha x 3
  9. rw3

rw3
    Premium

Ratings:
    +99
    I have no idea how he is a professional formula 1 driver.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Haha Haha x 2
  10. Matthew327

Matthew327
    Premium

Ratings:
    +496
    He is - in my opinion - one of the many drivers who just lacked the final few percent to actually make it in F1. After all, he's made it this far, and while his F1 stats look devastating to say the least, there have been far worse drivers in F1 history than him.

While obviously not cut out for F1 glory, I can see him running at the very front in a number of series where, above all, the pressure to perform is a little less crushing. In F1, running against K-Mag last year while driving an underperforming Renault certainly harmed his confidence (even though, as has been pointed out, he picked up his pace in the second half of 2016); and this year, facing a driver like Nico Hülkenberg who's capable of showing the Renault's full potential (which is, at the moment, a solid top ten finish) he's simply left without a chance.

I don't think any driver has been bashed as much as him in a while - in a way he's the Honda engine among F1 drivers - but we should not forget that he's being pitted against some of the world's most gifted racers, among which he probably shouldn't be in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Matthew Allington

Matthew Allington

Ratings:
    +135
    Is this rate the grid or hate the grid? :roflmao:

Seriously though, comparing his performances to Hulkenberg's (remember folks, your teammate is the best marker!) says enough really... :unsure:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. darkelf1

darkelf1

Ratings:
    +43
    Eh who? :geek:...............
    lol well i focus too much on Hamilton and Vettel conflict, good to see F1 this years is like a drama .:whistling: i'll check his car in ACFL 2017 again..:D

13. Nick Hill

Nick Hill
    Premium

Ratings:
    +189
    He got a '2' from me. In terms of pace, I think there is a distinct possibility he may be the worst driver on the grid. The Hulk has routinely brought home points in this car, while Palmer hasn't scored a single point - that's not a good angle.

The only thing saving Palmer from a '1' in my book is that I don't think he's made a nuisance of himself the way say a Maldonado did. If he causes a wreck or two in the 2nd half of the season, I wouldn't hesitate to drop him to a '1'.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Azure Flare

Azure Flare
    Forever a backmarker Premium

Ratings:
    +454
    Remember when "pay driver" was basically another term for a Hired Gun?

Pepperidge Farm remembers...

15. paracletus

paracletus

Ratings:
    +133
    Can't be bad to win GP2 - can you?
    Some of it has been bad luck. Some, maybe not.
    They'll probably at least see the rest of the season out, last chance saloon i suppose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. betterstranger

betterstranger

Ratings:
    +291
    Kubica on reverse gear will be faster than Palmer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Haha Haha x 1
  17. Leonardo Chaves

Leonardo Chaves

Ratings:
    +211
    He's terribly slow and to make matters worst, he gets a lot of space on the media and he blames his complete lack of performance on "luck" which makes him seem arrogant and oblivious.

Can't wait to be rid of him.

18. Christian Moreau

Christian Moreau
    A disgruntled hedgehog thing... Premium

Ratings:
    +1,574
    He crashed into the tyre wall in the latest F1 2017 trailer (showing off the tyre wall deformation), so he has that going for him.

• Haha Haha x 3
  19. psynusoid

psynusoid
    Premium

Ratings:
    +90
    3 - 1 for his tyre wall crash, 1 for being British and 1 for being an ITFC supporter.

20. fortyfivekev

fortyfivekev
    Premium

Ratings:
    +318
    Sadly for him I don't think he is even good enough to switch across to Indycar. I expect he will be driving rich guys around at his dad's race school for the rest of his career. Very disappointing.

• Like Like x 1