F1: Haas F1 Snubs Young American Talent

Apologies, fixed.

It's not a necessity, nor does the article imply that it is. It's because they're an American outfit, the leading questions have been "will they have an American driver to go with it". If they rocked up to COTA next season as an American team, with an American driver, the ticket sales would increase massively.

I disagree. I also happen to live in the same state as Haas headquarters. Americans aren't that unsophisticated...especially American F1 fans, like George Lucas. And the too-obvious-to-even-consider "will they hire an American driver" question is entirely press driven and press fueled and demeaning. Haas has stated its intention and we need to move on to actual possibilities, not continue to fuel sensationalism. When Ferrari is purportedly in the market for a new driver, I didn't hear "should they hire an Italian?" bantered about.

This Haas team, as I have stated many times before, is not stupid, but is very rich and extremely well led. From the early partnership with Ferrari...to the purchase of Marussia assets from Bankruptcy...to the smart way to search for a driver...they have made all the right moves and will surprise many, as did Red Bull. Mr. Haas has been at this for a while. I doubt Red Bull will be able to rent his wind tunnel anymore. (Hmmm...they have been down on their aero performance this year....).

When they pull up to COTA with a couple of top tens and a fistful of points, that's when the stands will really be packed. Nobody has heard of or even cares about Alexander Rossi in the states that is not a die hard F1 fan anyway. Danica Patrick (God forbid) would "pack the stands" about 10x more than Rossi if Haas were stupid enough to buy into the sensationalism.

As for sponsorship. lol. That's all I got. lol.

Last edited:
I doubt it goes all into F1 ... they are developping also for other series!
I read in F1 Racing magazine a few months back that their Formula 1 budget is a billion euros. I assume that obviously includes engine production for customer teams. But they have the biggest and most numerous facilities and they have the largest number of team personnel.

It's an astonishing figure really. But it's plausible when you consider those things, combined with the success they're currently enjoying. They've gotten themselves to the top by extremely clever engineering and equally extreme monetary expenditure.

no way, see what happened with Honda. It has to be either Merc or Ferrari.
Americans aren't Japanese. That Honda is failing might be the same reason why Toyota failed in F1. Too many lines in the chain of command and a culture where you can't mistakes and fail.

Will have a look if i can find the article about that as it was extremely interesting. Nutshell version (exaggerated): mechanic in the pitlane sees that an engine part needs improvement.-> Mechanic has to ask permission to his head mechanic -> head mechanic asks the chief engineer -> chief goes to the motorsport manager -> manager forwards it to his boss at R&D -> R&D has a few meetings making sure no mistakes are made (mistake = shame) -> and eventually it ends up on the desk of the CEO after a long time. CEO approves and it's pushed back down the line to finally get to work.

After X amount of time the improvement is ready and by that time the other teams are already improving the improvement.

Reactions: Rob
Honda isn't that bad considering they started building the engine later than their rivals. All Ferrari, Merc and Renault had one year of track time, and even started developping the engine as early as 2010 in case of Merc. Also Honda has less tokens.

But that's what a new manufacter would lack: track experience and development time.

I didn't see someone say Jean-Eric Vergne and I think that exactly will happened.
You know....:rolleyes: that Ferrari - Hass - Eric link...
Have to say, Jean is one of my favorite F1 drivers and I think he never got real chance in F1.
Maybe this could be his first. He prove that he's on the same level as Ricciardo, if not in qualifying then in race for sure.

I'd rather think JEV and Sutil would be a better pick. I know they had these two in their "shortlist", good and experienced drivers.

and yes I think Haas does have Ferrari engines :D

Finacially I think Haas should take one Rookie and stick him with an experienced driver. This would help for a few reasons I think as follow;
There would be a clear driver 1 and driver 2 situation which would help team relations a bit as there is no treating the drivers equal the whole time actually hindering the teams progress.
It would secure a future for the driver and also secure a more sturdy future with the new team as the more experienced driver could help "coach" and share tips with the young rookie. That's what teammates are for.
I think it would also help F1 in general as it makes it appeal to a wider market having an American driver and you never know but with the way Bernie works this would gain brownie points I'm sure. :)

Lotus took 2 experienced - look where it got them
Virgin took 1 experienced, 1 rookie - look where it got them
Hispania took 2 rookies - look where it got them

They'd be best to go with 1 of each, to at least give a rookie a chance.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.