F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Grid - Kimi Raikkonen

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid - Kimi Raikkonen 1.jpg

Another disappointing season from the 'Ice Man' in 2017 leaves many to question the future of the talented former World Champion.

At 38 years of age it is a fact that 2007 World Champion and 20 time Grand Prix winner Kimi Räikkönen is nearing the end of an illustrious career, and following on from yet another season where the fan favourite played second fiddle to Ferrari team mate Sebastien Vettel, is 2018 going to be the final time we see Räikkönen plying his trade in Formula One racing?

Räikkönen still has much of that mercurial pace when the mood takes him, however in recent years that mood makes an appearance less and less than in previous seasons, however with such a strong working relationship with his team and fellow Ferrari driver, the cool Finn still offers plenty to his current employer - but just how good was the 2017 season for Räikkönen?

Vote now to tell us how you rate 2017 Formula One season of Kimi Raikkonen, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Grid - Kimi Raikkonen 2.jpg
Rate the Grid - Kimi Raikkonen 3.jpg
Rate the Grid - Kimi Raikkonen 4.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to evaluate his performance when his job is Red Leader's wingman. He is been used too many times as a buffer or mobile chicane against Hamilton, with phony strategies and team orders.

Did nothing to show that he deserves another year in a top team. He's just holding up the drivers market.

Kimi is better than he showed in 2017. Ferrari took 2 wins away from him maybe even 3. Been a long time fan but I was quite disappointed when he didnt tell Ferrari to piss off when Seb was holding him up bad and Ferrari used him to check up Hamilton. He seems to have lost his fight. But he is still the fastest on track when the mood strikes him.....Monaco for instance.

I was a big fan of Kimi back in his McLaren days but in my opinion he's lost his focus since. He did win the championship in 07 of course.
The ability is still there but the attitude, I'm not so sure anymore.

I hate to say it, but I think Kimi is one of the worst drivers on the grid at the moment. Despite his great record I think the likes Marcus Ericsson and Jolyon Palmer may not have done that much worse with the car than Kimi did this season. While Vettel put up a great fight for the title, Kimi just seemed to be dallying around for his paycheck and has rarely shown his former greatness and wasn't quick enough to help Vettel and Ferrari gain their titles.

Next season will probably be his last season.

Just imagine....

You're a World Champion for Ferrari (ex), and then you're told that YOU will be a "supporting driver"....
You're told to move over for your teammmate...
You're told not to pass your teammate....
You're sacrificing wins so your teammate can get more points....

I might drive around - just for the paycheck - not for the challenge - or lackthereof.

Kimi is a better driver than 2017 showed. It's hard to stay positive when you get screwed so many times.

I believe Ferrari keep him in in large part thanks to that... "he was, after all, our last champion, we can't just chase him away...:unsure: can we?" way of thinking.
Maybe they should really set their mind towards the future now.

4. I like his personnality, but on track, he could do so much more... Or at least, there was a time when he could. He was great with Lotus-Renault, but since he joined Ferrari, he's been lethargic. Yet, I still get the feeling that if he really wanted, he could achieve more. I find it hard to understand how a former WC can be satisfied being the number 2 driver to Vettel. Michael Schumacher, Ayrton Senna or Fernando Alonso would never have settled for that. Too bad Ferrari did not choose to give his seat to another driver. 2018 will most likely be his last season.

I gave him 6, was undecided between 5 and 6 but in the end some of his performances were ok, he's 38 years old and was never vettel-level, so we can't expect him to beat him, even if they were the same age.

In my opinion, raikkonen is slightly in the lower half of the grid atm in an equal car, and don't think he's been as bad compared to bottas to give him 5 and bottas 7, so 6 it is.

I think whoever gave him more than 7 is most likely a raikkonen fan (I'm not a fan, nor a hater) and those who gave him 1-4 must overestimate what several drivers of 2017 would've done in that ferrari.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 52 27.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 33 17.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 36 19.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 11 5.9%