F1 1988 power snap in 2nd and 3th gear is this normale for this era?

Hello rf2 users out here,

Last night i tryed the f11988 mod with tracks.

But it was undrivable for me.
Every time i was in 2nd or 3th gear
3/4 in to the rev range ( before its in the yellow or red range) my back end steps out on me. Dont have a clutch pedal so autoblip/clutch is on. I believe traction control is off i have to check that one.

I used the march one i think how its called.
Aka non turbo.

Its like my rear wheels hit a puddle of water
And snaps traction or grip or something but track is bone dry, It even happens in a straight line and with less then 75% throttle or less.

Do any body have some tips or tricks? With all other f1 mods i dont have this issue. Only solution i have at the moment is shift very early in to 4th gear and only using 50 to 60 % of 3th gear this way or is this normal with this era of cars?

I was 4 years old when 1988 was happing so i dont know much about this era any way.

Last edited:
HUUUUGE turbo kick in those cars. Remember to lift the throttle when shifting to help ease into the next gear..consider short shifting those lower gears. Those cars were MONSTERS!

HUUUUGE turbo kick in those cars. Remember to lift the throttle when shifting to help ease into the next gear..consider short shifting those lower gears. Those cars were MONSTERS!
Only the ferrari, lotus, mclaren and one other team uses turbo's all other cars like the march or benetton didnt use turbo in the 1988.. so it cant be turbo kick

Hello rf2 users out here,

Last night i tryed the f11988 mod with tracks.

But it was undrivable for me.
Every time i was in 2nd or 3th gear
3/4 in to the rev range ( before its in the yellow or red range) my back end steps out on me. Dont have a clutch pedal so autoblip/clutch is on. I believe traction control is off i have to check that one.

I used the march one i think how its called.
Aka non turbo.

Its like my rear wheels hit a puddle of water
And snaps traction or grip or something but track is bone dry, It even happens in a straight line and with less then 75% throttle or less.

Do any body have some tips or tricks? With all other f1 mods i dont have this issue. Only solution i have at the moment is shift very early in to 4th gear and only using 50 to 60 % of 3th gear this way or is this normal with this era of cars?

I was 4 years old when 1988 was happing so i dont know much about this era any way.
i have this issue also... i adjusted some things which helped:

- biggest help: all 88 tracks start with green surface, so almost no grip; let many cars run a session, use auto save for road settings... with rubbered track it gets much better for me!

- use benetton or williams , for me march is more difficult.

- i reduced throttle sensitivity to almost zero

- raise diff power setting, i set mine to 100%

- lower rear bumps

- reduce camber

hope it helps
cheers
Lars

i have this issue also... i adjusted some things which helped:

- biggest help: all 88 tracks start with green surface, so almost no grip; let many cars run a session, use auto save for road settings... with rubbered track it gets much better for me!

- use benetton or williams , for me march is more difficult.

- i reduced throttle sensitivity to almost zero

- raise diff power setting, i set mine to 100%

- lower rear bumps

- reduce camber

hope it helps
cheers
Lars
It seems the non turbo cars also have turbo.. cause they react similair as the turbo ones.

But i have ditched this mod in favour of something else.

I also have this problem and has had me stuck on these cars for months now. These were 1000hp* cars back in the day. Look at how wide the rear tires are. The best way to remedy this instant on power is to short shift right before the certain power band for each car where the power really comes on. Once you are in 5th or 6th, you can mash the throttle. I am driving the Lotus/Elf car and it is a blast. My difficulty now is that shifting down through the gears into any turn will spin me out. I have the diff open on off-throttle and it does not help. Brake bias does not help. Maybe I'm downshifting too early but it leaves me in a high gear by the time I get to the apex. Any suggestions.

Nothing really, it dont add up a non turbo car driving like its a turbo car.

Thats why i have ditched this mod.
I have no fun driving this mod.. not saying its good or bad just not my cup of tee.

I have found a other mod so much more fun to drive..

Last edited:
Down shifting i didnt have a problem with, i tryed to keep it in a rev range when shifting down.

This helped a bit. Causing the rears not to spin as much, but it seems a bit if the flappy shifting aka not using a Pook gives you some kind of penalty.. auto blip

Last edited:
I also have this problem and has had me stuck on these cars for months now. These were 1000hp* cars back in the day. Look at how wide the rear tires are. The best way to remedy this instant on power is to short shift right before the certain power band for each car where the power really comes on. Once you are in 5th or 6th, you can mash the throttle. I am driving the Lotus/Elf car and it is a blast. My difficulty now is that shifting down through the gears into any turn will spin me out. I have the diff open on off-throttle and it does not help. Brake bias does not help. Maybe I'm downshifting too early but it leaves me in a high gear by the time I get to the apex. Any suggestions.
maybe raise 2nd and 3rd gear further to avoid spinning. make sure that you break enough/earlier, so that the car isnt decelerating mainly by engine-break.
try the williams... very nice to drive. i managed to drive constant laps now, great experience due to awesome AI in this mod, great aiw on 88 tracks!.. also , let the ai run many laps and set realroad to autosave.. huge difference in terms of safe racing when there is rubber.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.