Editing the scene background?

C

cschoei

• cschoei

Hi everyone, I'm just finishing up my first rFactor track and everything has gone really well so far except that I havent figured out how to change the background image that you see off in the distance (not sure what the name for this is). As my track is fairly wooded, the default desert-ish image doesnt work at all. Are there presets for this? I've been searching for a topic on this and havent come up with anything.

Thank you very much for your help!

The original textures are in sky.mas in BobsTrackBuilder\Support\rFactor. When you create your track, that file is copied to rFactor\GameData\Locations\(venue_name). I think that file is only created/overwritten the first time you export, and during any export where 'clear folder' is selected. You can use Mas Explorer or ISI's Mas.exe to replace the files.

It's up to you which mas file you update, but if you choose the one in the BTB folder, make a backup in case you do it wrong.

Open de sky.mas file and edit the BK0, BK01,BK02, etc images.
They are 16 faces and 6 materials that fill the horizon.gmt (the 3d file) because its repeat.
The images are 512X512 with alfa.
You may have 16 images as BK10, BK11 etc to avoid repeat the scene but you should asign materials to horizon.gmt into 3Dsimed.

Is usefoul when you have green fields and a little city in the horizon.

I suggest you make 16 opaques DDS files blank numbered 1,2,3,4 etc.
Pack the sky.mas and chek into the track where are each one.
If you horizon is flat and no detailed you can work with the 6 originals DDS files, changing the picture.

(sorry for my english)

• cschoei

Great! I was able to edit the sky.mas file pretty easy and it looks good with just 6 images. Thanks again for your help

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.