Current F1 cars aerodynamic influence is so strong that without DRS there would be zero chance for overtaking of the cars of similar pace. So most of the race results would highly correlate to qualy ones, no need to spend time watching.
"Too easy overtaking" is not an argument because following the same logic the car been overtaken could easily return the position back using DRS in the next lap or even next straight.
So if we want remove DRS, we need to prohibit wings and return to 60s to BT20.

One solution would be to prohibit all aero devices except the front and the rear wings.

Keep DRS and make it available to the drivers whenever they want (except the leader). The leader can open his when the car passing is along side. Or just bring back cars that can slipstream...

Remove DRS, remove power unit parts limit (ie unlimited engines) and let drivers race.

Actually it's a shame : after two hotlaps, engineers said : take care your tyres, take care your turbo, take care the gearbox, take care your battery.

90' drivers = 100 pilots
2010' drivers = 50% pilots - 50% managers

I always found it funny when people start talking about "ballast", cause then why limit yourself on just championship standings to decide how much you should "ballast" them ?

I suggest that it could be on race basis - as they come into pits for the first time (and they have to, don't they?) their crew would have to throw in a bag of sand into their cockpits (they would have to practice this too since their speed in throwing the damn bag in car may decide the race now!), based on position they're in, so say thay you're 1st you get a bag of sand weight 20 kilos say, second 18, third 16, etc... up until 10th guy who will get a bag of just two kg bag.

That would be enough but we can continue if you want further with up to say 15th place - in that version the last driver would get a "splash" of just 125 grams of sand into his car.
Pretty cool and hi-tech, don't you all agree or what ? :giggle:

Of course...
the bags would have to be weighed on the end as some drivers may cheat, especially here in Bahrain, tearing their bags and scatter their "ballast" on track. Who would notice it in Bahrain anyway, right ? :unsure:
2010' drivers = 50% pilots - 50% managers
You're being too generous. It's rather 69%. 69% of being race managers of course.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 241736

Would it be nice to deactivate DRS when the car goes in front of the next car?
great guitar, but sorry I don't like F1 and all the DRS stuff. It's like the german soccer league (hyped); one or two teams are far away fom the others with an 20 point advance - such boring. God praise GT3 and all GT-Series

So now people are complaining about overtaking being too easy? There's just no pleasing F1 fans.

this is called missing the entire point by a country mile, hell I think you're not I the same universe with that comment!

F1 fans complained there wasn't enough overtaking thanks to Aero, it wasn't difficult it was IMPOSSIBLE.

It's like having a cake that most people think tastes horrible, instead of removing the crappy ingredient that makes the cake taste crap they add in another unwanted ingredient that overpowers the crappy ingredient but then makes the cake too sickly sweet.

The reason Hamilton just breezed past the other cars is not DRS, but him having 100hp more then those cars. Getting rid of DRS with no alternative is not the solution.

If we want closer racing and cars not just breezing past other cars we have to standardize the engines and not get rid of DRS.

That said, i think those possible answers are somewhat not complete. I don't think DRS is "too much of an advantage" but i think there are better solutions nevertheless. Namely push-to-pass. Having a limited number of P2Ps per race, being free when to use them (offense, defense) would probably lead to a more strategic and interesting race.

The reason Hamilton just breezed past the other cars is not DRS, but him having 100hp more then those cars. Getting rid of DRS with no alternative is not the solution.

If we want closer racing and cars not just breezing past other cars we have to standardize the engines and not get rid of DRS.

That said, i think those possible answers are somewhat not complete. I don't think DRS is "too much of an advantage" but i think there are better solutions nevertheless. Namely push-to-pass. Having a limited number of P2Ps per race, being free when to use them (offense, defense) would probably lead to a more strategic and interesting race.

orrrr get rid of stupid amounts of aero, let the drivers follow closer in the corners and use skill with the feet in getting the power down better on corner exit to setup an outbraking manouever into the next corner? (like most other better motorsport series?!!)...oh wait the stupid teams don't want that do they...idiots.

this is called missing the entire point by a country mile, hell I think you're not I the same universe with that comment!

F1 fans complained there wasn't enough overtaking thanks to Aero, it wasn't difficult it was IMPOSSIBLE.

It's like having a cake that most people think tastes horrible, instead of removing the crappy ingredient that makes the cake taste crap they add in another unwanted ingredient that overpowers the crappy ingredient but then makes the cake too sickly sweet.

Well said, you hit the nail on the head!

The post by @Damage Inc is kind of spot on.

Is DRS artificial? Yes I suppose it is but if it allows some form of passing then so be it.

It kind of depends on what you want out of your viewing experience, if they took DRS away the passing would stop with these cars. It would all be about the first few laps and that would be it. As mentioned above some viewers want this type of close racing and that's cool.

I watched some of the 90's grand prix on Youtube recently and I'd forgotten just how processional some of the races were.

The difference was the noise (no substitute for a 14,000rpm V12) and Murray Walker (who made the most boring race sound amazing).

Hmmm, so we don't need DRS. We need to clone Murray! :laugh::)

I think DRS is a good idea, but it is hard to make work as intended, and sometimes it makes the attraction problems in F1 worse.

Very specifically, right now the only people who really get to do overtaking from DRS are those with significant better power packages, aka the Mercedes'. That's no good, those cars are attraction-lowering superior anyway.

There needs to be another attempt to make a whole-car, and whole-field aero package. The panel they had didn't do it. They should really loan out Adrian Newey to FIA for 2 years, and let him come up with a plan, and then adjust the plan based on observation (the latter being the important part).

Things is the last time I was watching F1 regularly I often saw drivers not even bother to defend when the other was using DRS, or even if someone did an overtake in a non DRS zone but the overtakee knew a DRS zone was coming up they just let the other through, knowing they'd get the artificial advantage later....I mean that's just crap. Beyond awful. It's the realms of arcade games.....F1 is the reallife equivalent of a simcade game.

But am I wearing rose tinted glasses? Havn't watched an old race for yonks....maybe F1s been dying for a long time?

Ever since they've added it, it's like there's a nitrous oxide which in truth opinion it is not necessary in motorsport. This past GP wasn't the only one like that as each GP since its introduction have been the same. There has always always been overtaking prior to drs presence.

Bizarre article. Just because the guy in the most dominant car was able to overtake some mid-packers DRS should be done away with? What about all the other cars that couldn't pass even with DRS (it wasn't exactly an overtake fest)? What about Australia which had three DRS zones and less than 10 overtakes the whole race? I hate DRS as much as the next guy but with these silly aero dependent cars it's a necessary evil, doing away with DRS would make the races even more boring than they are now.

As a failure it was from beginning, just a fake move to the car in front system that has nothing to do with racing. Get rid of it plus lower car's aero at least 50% to make driver's do their work and therefore more mistake's. Like under the pressure or just make error's and let them RACE! Not goddamn penaltie's from every single move they make. Make the car body without any extra wing anywhere exept to the front and back, both with 1 to 3 level's depending of the track. Basic aero and do the grip search from suspension and tire's like it should be. Put the engineer's and driver's to search the speed and handling from there and not like from how smooth the varnish is on the paint...

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 4 7.3%