Drive To Survive - Snoozapalooza Season Edition

Ok, a penny for your thoughts....

I really really really dislike DTS ... The first season was great, nice documentary style covering basics for new audiences along with some interesting behinds the scenes stuff that even regular viewers would find interesting and entertaining... The selective editing in season 2 became dubious and the additional fake-news-style-drama creation in the 3rd season was tantamount to "how to go from something pretty great straight to shat in the bed" for me so I didn't really watch anymore.

Clearly we just survived the most tedious and least interesting season I can remember, is it possible that this season could actually:
1. benefit from a healthy amount of fictionalisation and fake drama is better than not caring ?
or
2. it's just so obvious that the will need to heavily reign in the fiction otherwise it will be in poor taste to the majority of the viewer and not just the old -fuddy-duddys ?

People get confused about F1 and i have to explain it to them in the simplest terms i can find. And then there is a ridiculous show like this promoting F1 by making it look stupid.This is Reality verses Hollywood.

My two cents:

I'm new to this forum, but I've been a Formula 1 fan since the 1980s. DTS acquainted a lot of people (particularly in the US) with motorsports by serving it up in the admittedly irksome reality TV format. Many folks, including my wife, really enjoy such nonsense, and if I'm honest, I loved watching DTS with her. Before seeing the show, she was completely ambivalent about autoracing. Now, she is quite engaged with the sport. in fact, she enjoys it so much that we watched the 2023 race coverage in live broadcasts and have committed the resources to attend the 2024 Miami GP in person this year. I suspect there are others with similar stories. Whatever one may think of DTS, if it has awakened interest in F1 among those who would not otherwise have become fans, that is a good thing.

Last edited:
People get confused about F1 and i have to explain it to them in the simplest terms i can find. And then there is a ridiculous show like this promoting F1 by making it look stupid.This is Reality verses Hollywood.
I did enjoy it when Roman Grosjean upset Gunther Stiener and slammed glass door to his office. And he ran down behind the garage looking for him. Though i think like a lot of relaity TV show it is set up and orchestrated by writers. A dit like WWE Wreseling that i used to watch, then i realized it was rigged and fake.

I did enjoy it when Roman Grosjean upset Gunther Stiener and slammed glass door to his office. And he ran down behind the garage looking for him. Though i think like a lot of relaity TV show it is set up and orchestrated by writers. A dit like WWE Wreseling that i used to watch, then i realized it was rigged and fake.
Actually it was Magnussen who did that. And Steiner's reaction caught on camera was truly entertaining, particularly because it was genuine and not orchestrated (I think!).

The Brawn documentary puts DTS to shame. It tells the story people want - the story of the season and brings in the relevant behind the scenes stuff with little or indiscernible fictionalisation of stuff that anybody who watches the sport can disprove instantly. I haven't watched DTS for a few years since the 2021 disaster. How can you take one of the best on-track seasons in recent memory and produce something that skips over all the good on-track action?

Drive to Survive is getting stale because everyone in the paddock knows Netflix are there and hide too much from them - mainly because they know it gets twisted the wrong way. It could do with a break of a few years before coming back, or needs to be hosted by Keanu Reeves :laugh:

Whatever one may think of DTS, if it has awakened interest in F1 among those who would not otherwise have become fans, that is a good thing.

Who it is good thing for and how good it is for the sport is debatable...

New spectators introduced by seasons 1 and 2 - I think is good.

New spectators introduced by seasons 3 and on I am not sure... perhaps not develop any deeper interest in the sport if / when they realise the amount of spin... it could be short term interest that is of short term good for the sport? ... they might be happy to be casual fans and it very well might still be a good thing for the sport as they will be happy to continue to pay $ to netflix for the "entertainment" and pay for coverage/tickets/merchendise of the sport because they have money to burn...

New spectators introduced by seasons 1 and 2 - I think is good.
Yes, those were definitely the seasons where DTS seemed more genuine. Still, we now have three GPs in the US. I'm not saying that was entirely a result of DTS, but the show's popularity had to have been a significant factor. Even if the casually interested folks don't stay on the bandwagon, it's a win for the rest of us who enjoy the sport.

My two cents:

... if it has awakened interest in F1 among those who would not otherwise have become fans, that is a good thing.
If the fans don't like what you're giving them... then change the fans.
This is the F1 management mantra, and if you include the DTS crowd and those that watch it in the pub, then you don't need the fussy old stalwarts that have been interested since Graham Hill won his last WDC, and that way you can stick with the Business before sport

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back