Tracks Deutschlandring

You can, in places. The large banked curve was 20m wide, with the rest being around 12m wide. They were trying to replace the Nurburgring as the premier racing circuit, and criticised it for being too narrow at 8m wide.
Wide tracks trump narrow tracks every day of the week.
Edit: for racing purposes, shared with other cars.

Last edited:
I edited my post for clarification.

I still disagree :p Modern F1 circuits are too wide imho. While Nords is probably too narrow for modern race cars, a happy middle ground is tops. Thinking classic circuits which have been upgraded; like Mosport or Laguna or Road America. Wide enough to give room for passing, not so wide that you're in a sea of grey.

I still disagree :p Modern F1 circuits are too wide imho. While Nords is probably too narrow for modern race cars, a happy middle ground is tops. Thinking classic circuits which have been upgraded; like Mosport or Laguna or Road America. Wide enough to give room for passing, not so wide that you're in a sea of grey.
Wide tracks offer more overtaking opportunities, allow multiple cars to race side-by-side, let the drivers be more creative with their lines, create space to avoid accidents, and don't punish minor mistakes as harshly as narrow tracks. They encourage fairer and more exciting racing. What's not to like?

I love hot-lapping the Nordschliefe but it's an absolutely terrible track to actually race on, IMO, unless you like staring at the rear bumper of the slower car in front for large sections of the track.
:p

Wide tracks offer more overtaking opportunities, allow multiple cars to race side-by-side, let the drivers be more creative with their lines, create space to avoid accidents, and don't punish minor mistakes as harshly as narrow tracks. They encourage fairer and more exciting racing. What's not to like?

I love hot-lapping the Nordschliefe but it's an absolutely terrible track to actually race on, IMO, unless you like staring at the rear bumper of the slower car in front for large sections of the track.
:p
I don’t think VLN offers terrible racing. It’s quite an experience, and the large grid proves my point I guess.

I don't think the width is the problem at nordschleife for the racing. It is that all the straights have these kinks and fast turns that make side by side driving almost impossible. From fuchsröhre to metzgesfeld it is flatout in every car but you still have these small kinks that make overtaking almost impossible there. Same thing with the short straight into karussel. I know it is controversial but I'd just straighten out those bits and you'd have little bit more overtaking there.

I'm quite happy with the results I'm getting at the moment with the AI. Previously I had major issues with them crashing. It is a wide track with a very fast first sector where the AI can often be 3 wide. It is still possible for the AI to have the odd epic crash but they are behaving quite well for the most part and are about as fast as my fastest AI lines but with more consistency during races.

I tested pace with a wide variety of classic cars but mainly focused on the Lola T70 Ford as I had a human lap time to compare them to and they seem more capable of driving the Lola than a lot of the other classic stuff. The AI's best qualifying times are in the mid 3:15's around 3 seconds off pace which for a track of this nature and size isn't too bad IMO.

Their line is very compromised into the right hander at 1:25 because they really struggle with the exit of the next left with a faster line so I made them turn in a bit late and abrupt to slow them down for the left. There is a similar turn a tiny bit further down the road where I had to do similar by making the ideal line very tight on exit to keep them away from the fences.

Here is a lap and a bit onboard an AI car. They are set to 100% difficulty and 50% aggression here.

Getting some leaf litter in place now, so soften the transition between road and verge :)

0x1WwVT.jpg

ezfeTYO.jpg

Not running out of things to do on this track, but progress is going pretty well. I think another month or so at this rate should see it finished (finally!)

Wooop wooop get on the hype train. I can’t wait to drive this with the new shaders patch and Sol weather suite. Can you imagine how glorious it will be driving these hills and coming over a crest in the Lotus during a sunrise.
These pics look amazing Dave.

I hope you will - I am falling more in love with it as time goes by :inlove:

Feldbergring probably feels more like a road, but Deutschlandring feels more like what it is - a disused race track turned into public roads. It's certainly challenging, and I am trying my best to make it beautiful too :thumbsup:

Just had my first wet race, purely by accident - Content Manager / GBW Suite = simply amazing! :confused:

2tcwGY1.jpg

Last edited:
Getting some people in has helped bring this track more alive for me :) I have added a couple more TSOs too - just need to re-texture the Feldbergring assets :whistling:

F9IFWPo.jpg

hzYQNfK.jpg

Xa7pTQ4.jpg

UjxgFL4.jpg

GjClLF1.jpg

Should be on-track for a late February / early March release (hopefully) :thumbsup:

Farm buildings in place :) The fields surrounding this part of the track still feel a little barren, though :unsure: Maybe I need to add some hedges or fences running across the fields, just to break them up a little.

qajG9q3.jpg

O7qLREB.jpg

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 169 66.5%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 112 44.1%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 117 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 70 27.6%
Back