D-Box Gen 3

RCHeliguy

Premium
I have to say that I like the D-Box Gen 3 for the exact same reasons I like my NLRv3.

1. Runs on 110V
2. Sips power
3. small form factor ( EVERYTHING fits inside the rig! )
4. Quiet ( no whine, etc )
5. No EMI, EFI interference issues
6. Very simple easy to configure software
7. Looks like a finished product.

Exactly like my NLRv3 :)

My rig has to be easy to move into the corner of my room and I really don't want a rack full of servo controllers in my media room, or a 220V adapter and my available power is limited, so this looks perfect for me.

I've been waiting off while things mature in the DIY space, but current solutions are still too bulky for my taste. I'd compare it to the difference between the old industrial MIG DD solutions vs. my SC2 which is much cleaner looking.

Not ready to take the jump just yet, but with their new lower pricing model, it is actually on my radar. I don't think DIY solutions will be compact enough in the near future that I would be able to get one in my media room and past my wife.

It may be silly posting about this given the current financial outlook. I'm not sure I'm going to spend diddly squat on toys until I see where things are going.

Last edited:
Another option is to build something similar to SFX1000 actuators but instead use Clearpath motors so the AC servo is integrated for a much slimmer and integrated solution with a smaller than Dbox contoller box. All my actuators run into one small compact 3D printed control box with the PSU, instead of two boxes like Dbox. As for tactile, I haven't tried Dbox so can't say for sure but I think SFX1000 and PT can also provide some road texture feel to it compare to something like DOF reality with wiper motors. Consider how much Dbox is still charging, my solution is way cheaper and it has 300m/s velocity and over 3" travel for fraction of the cost. I guess the question is, as refined as Dbox might be, is it worth 2-3X the price compare to a SFX1000 build?

Upvote 0
I'm not going to argue. I've been watching various groups and I know enough about the full technical details involved some of the technical challenges and enough people who have gone through process to feel I've come to my list and opinions soundly. I've seen some very well constructed solutions with up to 7 actuators that look amazing and owners who are very happy with them. That's great. I'm sure it is a great sense of accomplishment to build one and get it working.

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with my current thoughts on this. We have different priorities, that's all. There is no right or wrong, just what works for each of us individually. For me the D-Box has enough additional value to be worth the price difference.

Upvote 0
Everything about gen3 looks to be great. I was carefully watching the correlation between movement and onscreen and it looked spot on.

its the direct drive of motion.

I one thing that D-Box brings to the table is that they have sorted out and refined the controlling hardware and software to a higher degree than the DIY software which is primitive by comparison. They are experimenting with tactile in the DIY forums, but D-Box has it all ironed out and integrated.

This seems sort of like the difference between a heavily moded live car with 1000 Hp, a primitive suspension and no traction loss or ABS. It has a few impressive specifications, but it doesn't have the "brains" to maintain traction and is hard to control in the corners. Similarly D-Box has learned how to interpret telemetry well and knows how to get the effects to work well in concert.

Upvote 0
I really would like to try a d-box system. If you look away from the tactile capabilities, on paper my prosimu actuators have better specs. I have a hard time seeing that 1,5" would be enough movement to get good motion, but d-box gets good reviews. I wonder what software trick and properties of the d-box actuators that make that possible with the short range, relative to competitors.

Upvote 0
I really would like to try a d-box system. If you look away from the tactile capabilities, on paper my prosimu actuators have better specs. I have a hard time seeing that 1,5" would be enough movement to get good motion, but d-box gets good reviews. I wonder what software trick and properties of the d-box actuators that make that possible with the short range, relative to competitors.

Their Intellectual property that they've developed and honed over the years may be their secret sauce, but I wouldn't call any of it a trick.
They've been working on this for years. It's proof that a system is the sum of it's parts and that having something with more power or even speed doesn't matter if you are not controlling it well. This is all about control systems and that is a field of study by itself.

And yes part of this is knowing how to utilize range well. How you return to zero without the driver noticing is important to maximize what you get out of it. However even Barry says that for flight and Rally that this doesn't have enough range.

Upvote 0
I would love to try a d-box someday and compare to my SFX-100.

There was one on the Sim Lab stand on the Simracing Expo last year, but they could not get it working because they were having a lot of EMI issues in combination with the Simcube 2.

1,5" is enough for most simracing cases, but there are some situations were you might be limited.

-I have heard D-box users complain about losing effects when driving through the carroussel ( because the D-box is bottoming out)
-Situations where you go up or down using some extra pitch for effect and still have enough travel available for surge
-Rally and flight

I do love the compact build and d-box does offer motion for some racing titles which no other motion simulator can.
It's much easier to set up. D-box always used to king (and maybe still is), but there are a lot of good alternatives out there right now.

There might be differences in extreme and violent profiles, but i'm pretty happy with my current motion solution which can knock the filling out of my teeth :D

What i like even more is intensity adjustments on the fly, start stop button and even a recent stream deck integration.

But... d-box is silent, compact and looks much sleeker. IF... i had the money (more than enough) and no building skills, i would probably opt for the d-box. D-box also has the reputation of being almost indestructible, on the other hand with the DIY solution you do repairs yourself without having to send your motion hardware to a repair shop.

A good tuned SFX100 will definitely beat a bad tuned D-box. But how about beating a good tuned D-box?

Upvote 0
If you have the money it is a nice solution and so easy to get up and running.
We all are aware of how Barry goes into great detail like how many threads a screw might have or how much it weighs (joking) but we never really get input on how one product really compares in performance to others. He avoids going so deep into this and probably one of my fave videos he ever did was when he had multiple people compare DD wheels, we got actual info to help on making a purchase. More and more it appears the channel is avoiding a potential conflict of interests with competitive brands/products and just "showcase" them all rather than do actual in-depth performance comparisons and his or other people's own true impressions or personal likes/dislikes with them.

Anyways...

IIRC in Barry's previous review of D-Box he ignored tactile options it had, saying he didn't use or enjoy them much.

In this product promotion (as that's what it is rather than a review or performance compared to other hardware) we finally get some detail on the tactile options it offers. Can a D-Box owner simply confirm something for me as it is not highlighted in this video?

Does the tactile for the suspension work fully independent or is a chassis-based vibration being sent to all 4 units?
I ask this as we see no individual control of front/rear or individual units. Options are very simple basic as that's how D-Box does things.

Also, one of the most popular/enjoyable sensations with tactile is with engines. Yet the engine based selections seem very basic with no in-depth controls. We have the highlighted V4-V12 type options but little demonstration or feedback about them or the ability to set manual RPM settings which will determine what Hz the units work with over the rpm range.

These simple slider options won't dramatically make the felt engine vary in its characteristics and like Simvibe offered with a similar option people may actually use a "V Mode" based on what they prefer rather than selecting such to represent the car they are actually driving in a sim. The truth is the setting is merely to better match the frequency range used with cars that have higher/larger RPM ranges. It has nothing to do with accuracy or realisim.

So while Barry incorrectly may have given the impression that other motion options do not have tactile I really wish he would cover actual features the rig offers with it or as much detail/time on it as he will focus on the engineering/build quality aspects. The tactile desereved at least 10 mins and showing.explaining its operation more, but thats just me.

Still though a great channel to watch and fascinating to see all these different motion systems in action.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good points! The NLRv3 software also has a section for tactile, however it is for driving transducers and as you have seen first hand while it works, it is very simple and does not have enough flexibility.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea