Crash during race session on certain mod tracks.

Hi all,

I got several mod tracks for rFactor 1 and AMS and for some reason, when I use CERTAIN mod tracks on rFactor 1 or AMS, the game crashes. For example I got the Nordschleife on rFactor and it works in PRIVATE testing but crashes in race sessions. Same thing for AMS. Can anyone help fix this issue?

(The reason I metion AMS is because both games are somewhat the same)

Such crashes are usually memory issues, a large track with a lot of cars is a resource hog. Try a smaller field and see if it works. There is a version of Targa Florio which is such a hog that some systems won't even load it for testing.

There could also be issues with a specific car which cause it to crash when loading

Such crashes are usually memory issues, a large track with a lot of cars is a resource hog. Try a smaller field and see if it works. There is a version of Targa Florio which is such a hog that some systems won't even load it for testing.

There could also be issues with a specific car which cause it to crash when loading
Is there a way I can prevent crashing? Do I need less Ai, or need to lower the graphics or maybe have minimal background tasks? What can I do? Any recommendations? Is there any software I can use?

rfactor is old enough that any modern system should easily run it. But many tracks and mods now have high-res graphics and higher poly count in the models.

Check the rfactor config, it should be set for at least DX9 (DX7 or 8 may provide better appearance/performance with some older mods, but I've had some mods crash with anything less than DX9). Try turning off animations (pit crews, swaying trees, etc.) except for your car, these are huge resource hogs; try fewer cars on the track; cut back on graphic detail; shut down anything running in the background you don't need. Lower levels of FSAA may help. Try different car sets. We need to determine if it's your system, rfactor, the tracks, or the cars, causing the problem.

There's no software that will reliably give better performance. Though if background processes are causing issues - usually stuttering or even occasional brief pauses - Process Lasso can help, it pauses any background processes if they would interfere with the foreground program, then allows them to run once you've exited that program.

The 4GB patch is important too, it allows rFactor.exe to use more than 2 GB of RAM - which is helpful with graphics-heavy mods and tracks.
Also the original rFactor.exe AFAIK isn't compatible with RFE plugin, so some mods and tracks that use that plugin may give a CTD.
There is newer rFactor.exe - a nocd that is "for Windows 7", that probably means it is more compatible with 64-bit Windows systems.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back