Clutch operation? (PnG)

adamb

Premium
I have been recently experiencing with manual clutch driving in various sims (heel toe technique etc) - auto blip, auto clutch turned off, paddle shifters

In only 2 sims was it necessary to actually use the clutch pedal (AMS1, R3E). I have read that RF2 lacks proper gearbox simulation and AC is always applying auto clutch with sequential/paddle shifters (regardless of settings).

I was surprised to see that PnG required no clutch operation either. I felt absolutely no difference when I was shifting with or without clutch. It's supposed to be a retro car simulation so am I missing something?

I have been recently experiencing with manual clutch driving in various sims (heel toe technique etc) - auto blip, auto clutch turned off, paddle shifters

In only 2 sims was it necessary to actually use the clutch pedal (AMS1, R3E). I have read that RF2 lacks proper gearbox simulation and AC is always applying auto clutch with sequential/paddle shifters (regardless of settings).

I was surprised to see that PnG required no clutch operation either. I felt absolutely no difference when I was shifting with or without clutch. It's supposed to be a retro car simulation so am I missing something?
EDIT: ooops I just noticed you use paddles, that won't work, sorry, because below requires "hold button for gear" mode to work.

EDIT2: I realized, that you might achieve what you want by utilizing CCGEP sequential gearbox features:
gearboxSequentialLiftToUpshiftTorqueNM and gearboxSequentialLiftToDownshiftTorqueNM
that should work with paddles.

Stock GTR2 does not support that, but Crew Chief GTR2 Enhancements Plugin adds that to some extent. It even tries to "simulate" per-gear damage, and combined with SimHub you can get gear grinding effect. Finishing race without 3rd gear is quite memorable :) I am not a physics expert, so there's room for improvement in this stuff, but the way it works is not just "require player to clutch", it also respects rev-matching and you can configure how precise you want it, per car.

My research shows that even 2003/2004 GT cars did not shift the way GTR2 does it (drivers had to lift off throttle to shift, especially on downshift, because those cars did not have electronic lift aid). So I added some features for sequential gearboxes as well to improve that, to my best ability.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 40 37.7%
  • Saturday

Votes: 61 57.5%