rFactor Pro

If the content has already been digitally created, then these astronomical amounts of money that everyone mentions are just the licensing fees?

Like others I don't get why these tracks aren't released for the consumer product especially when this is such a weak area for rf2 (my 2c anyway). I would have thought that ISI/S397 at least put them up as DLC for a representative cost so consumers can decide if we want to fork out for each painstakingly rendered track. Why not sell the same bit of work twice: to pro and consumer market?

Can @Marcel Offermans shed any light here or is this "not-rfactor3" territory?

I'm not even going to contemplate RF2 Pro. I would assume the cost and the reality of maintaining it would be significant even for a race team. The thing that stood out most are the UK roads with the opposing traffic. Wow! They are fantastic. I don't know why we don't have a track like this in any real sim. This would be perfect for all of the road cars in Assetto Corsa.for example. I have always thought that realistic roads in sims could be a fantastic new challenge, without it turning into an arcade game.

I think it's quiet dumb to sell a product like this to competition sector when the enthusiats are a lot more than the real users of this professional software. Actually most of us are here to compete in simulators which in most of the cases gets reflected by the need of having the maximum accuracy possible…other thing would be that is too expensive product to be introduced in domestic sector, in which case i would just shut up
To the first part of your post: the clientele ISI is catering their "rF Pro" product and services is used to pay a fair amount of money for a solid product that covers their needs.

The clientele ISI is selling "rF 2" to is the one that complains about a DLC of a racing sim they paid a laughably small amount of money (the equal of two hot beverages they consume every other day on the way to work or one or cold beverages at a pub on a evening out) not to mention the audacity, the developer has to include a FREE bonus car which the client generally doesn't like and immediately (and openly) complains about.

Perfectly solid business strategy here. In a world where simracers complain about content not being free (just look at any of the threads centering about pay mods), no solid business will try to market their high end products for a fair price with a fair profit (which they deserve). What the general consumer gets is a product that can be produced at far more reasonable cost and that performs "good enough" to satisfy in the long term.

I am sure the members of RD that actually would be prepared to pay rF Pro prices and have an actual need of what sets rF Pro apart from consumer software can be counted on one hand, because despite the "oh" and "ah" about the nice screenshots of rF Pro, what really sets it apart from the consumer software is an enormous step up in data accuracy and physics calculations combined with custom made data sets to customers specs (read: environments, vehicles and data) and support.

"Only available to race teams, not for public purchase."
What do they consider to be a race team "worthy" of rFactor Pro?

I am very sure ISI does not limit it's services "to race teams" or vets its customers like Ferrari decides who will be qualified to pay for a limited edition hyper-car. I am sure they will cater to any customer who realistically can and will pay invoices issued - thats what business is all about at the end of the day.

If the content has already been digitally created, then these astronomical amounts of money that everyone mentions are just the licensing fees?

Like others I don't get why these tracks aren't released for the consumer product especially when this is such a weak area for rf2 (my 2c anyway). I would have thought that ISI/S397 at least put them up as DLC for a representative cost so consumers can decide if we want to fork out for each painstakingly rendered track. Why not sell the same bit of work twice: to pro and consumer market?

Can @Marcel Offermans shed any light here or is this "not-rfactor3" territory?

It is highly unlikely that the content, ISI has created for rF Pro is suitable for consumer software and hardware (think much higher accuracy and detail, although it may not look as much in a video or screen shot). rF Pro content very likely would need complete rebuild at much rougher detail and optimization to even be able to be run on consumer hardware and would have to be completely bug-proofed for the very critical eyes of consumers - in a professional application the odd hole in the ground or wrong texture simply is irrelevant to the task at hand, while correct data for the actual application is very much important - with consumer "racing games" it often seems to be a little backwards in this respect if one is watching the forums ;-)

Another point quite likely may be contractual clauses.
ISI may very well have created a certain track to highest detail for one of their customers projects but may or may not be contractually bound to NOT release that data to other parties.
When our business engineers a product and it's series production tooling we are contractually bound NOT to use that set of data for any other purpose than satisfying our contractual obligations to our customer.
I wouldn't be surprised if such rules apply in terms of rF Pro content.

for the purpose of this thread: I enjoy seeing information and insight on products as rF Pro but unfortunately for the majority of use who are not involved with ISI or ISI's customers who use rF Pro - we will never have the opportunity to have a closer experience than screen shots and videos about it :-(

• Deleted member 130869

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to be given 30 minutes to run around one of the city maps and pretend to be a street racer.

As for stuff like the race tracks, I'm pretty content with what modders and the game devs have brought up. Still pretty interesting to see screenshots of something that us mortals probably won't get to see in person.

Last edited:
It says on Vimeo that their Nurburgring video is 3 years old. I'm not disputing the accuracy of the track, but there's a lot of detail/curbing/texturing different to every other PC game version of the track (and as I'm preparing a 17 screenshot comparison of the 11(so far) PC versions of the track I should know!).

What I've known all along confirmed, to get a "true" sim experience you need a smeg load of cash, multiple PCs to run the software and a full motion rig to boot. All our "sims" games are "simcade" in comparison.

It's fun that people wants rFactor Pro. I guess it's just a hotlap simulator, and I can remember how Assetto Corsa was blamed for such characteristic.

Yeah I know, AC is not as pro as rFactor pro maybe is (who knows:(), but...I'm pretty sure that if they sell it for all of us, there will be tones of people blaming they have no steam achievements or that it lacks of content or *insert whatever thing people complain all the time*.

What I'm surprised and interested (as long as I have no 4929393839 PCs to run rFactor pro) is that it looks like ISI knows how to do a game looks good. It seems that they just don't care about doing it for the masses:confused:

Just like the Silicon Graphics machines back in the days making us all drool...

Although, i'm not really that impressed by the visuals / tracks - of course i can't talk about accuracy of physics in rF Pro, but we can be sure that it's quite a step ahead of our consumer sims.

for the purpose of this thread: I enjoy seeing information and insight on products as rF Pro but unfortunately for the majority of use who are not involved with ISI or ISI's customers who use rF Pro - we will never have the opportunity to have a closer experience than screen shots and videos about it :-(

Unless information comes from rFpro people, you can consider "information" that you get from random people as wrong. It's not the first article about rFpro on a simracing website, and people posting stuff believing they were right, couldn't be more wrong.

If you believe SMS and Mr Bell and some of his beta testers, Pcars2 will make RF Pro look very second rate and amateur. The race teams will be falling over themselves to use Pcars 2 for driver training. That track does look nice though.;)
I wonder what computer power is required to run RF Pro?

If you believe SMS and Mr Bell and some of his beta testers, Pcars2 will make RF Pro look very second rate and amateur. The race teams will be falling over themselves to use Pcars 2 for driver training. That track does look nice though.;)
I wonder what computer power is required to run RF Pro?

Actually you don't need a super expensive system to run rF pro. The graphic is the same of rFactor.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back