Championship experiences and questions

First I want to thank everyone who has been involved with the F1 mods. They are insanely good. I came from PS4 and Codemasters / EA series which I played religiously for years. AC F1 mods are on completely different planet... the cars drive SO much better. Only now I realize how mediocre F1 games the Codemasters /EA series are. There's no coming back, ever... when you try the AC F1. Next I have to play the 2022 WDC which I recently downloaded. It looks fabulous.

I have three full F1 Championships now played. I'm not a great sim racer but ok. First I started with AI difficulty of 89 in my fist F1 1986 season. I won the WDC despite winning only three races. AI top drivers are very inconsistent and drivers like Philippe Streiff and Jacques Laffitte are constantly winning races. That is pretty stupid. Those can happen occasionally (like Panis' Monaco win) but should be rarities.

Then I played a F1 1991 season with difficulty of 93. I came third. Again came third in the same 93 difficulty in another F1 1986 championship. 80% of the races were very enjoyable and you'll learn pretty quick how to avoid the stupid AI knocking you out of the races. Some races were very exciting like in Monza I set the turbo at 80% and my engine was smoking in the last lap but didn't explode... barely made it. Amazing experience.

I'm using the 1988 tracks. So I've raced about 50 races with these cars and tracks.

Qualifying and race were both extremely satisfying and challenging in tracks like Hermanos Rodrigues, Jacarepagua, Jerez, Paul Ricard, Montreal, Estoril, Monza, Adeleide, Detroit.

But almost impossible on tracks like Hockenheim (where I was 5 seconds out of pace) even at Turbo at 100%, qf slicks, low rear wing and low fuel. I was dead last despite driving a decent lap.

But in other fast tracks like Monza I was doing ok and got the 3rd place in QF. Imola and Osterreichring were also very difficult. Couldn't get even near the top 10 despite having almost perfect laps.

I suck at Brands Hatch so that was no surprise I didn't do well. My point is that I want the game to be challenging. I don't want to win every race. Not at all, it's extremely satisfying to fight for the 6th place but the problem is that sometimes you'll win too easily and sometimes you have no chance at all.

Then again...

In Hungaroring I took the pole with 3 seconds margin and won the race with the difference of 34 seconds (10 laps race). Same thing happened in both mods. Ai is absolutely hopeless on that track and offers no challenge at all.

What determines how the AI plays track by track? Are the settings inside the track?

I also noticed that tweaking the individual driver skill has little to do how well the drivers are performing in the game. I had Senna, Prost, Mansell and Piquet set at 100 and they still can be regularly found on the bottom of the lists which is extremely unrealistic. Would love to see the top drivers taking pole positions and wins because now they're so inconsistent that it's too easy to win the WDC with pretty low points.

dLWmCEO.jpg

Do these settings actually affect on anything?

finzXu3.jpg

These aren't big issues as I can always change the global AI skill depending on the track but do you have any tips how I could improve the best drivers in the game to be consistently good? That would be the biggest factor of improving the experience even more.

Thanks.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • Friday

Votes: 67 36.2%
  • Saturday

Votes: 103 55.7%